Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a joke. I just tried to uncancel my order and they told me I am too late. I don't have anymore details to share but the source is very,very solid. It should break this afternoon.
That would be awesome but I highly doubt it as lawsuit normally takes way longer... Me too, I've cancelled my order about 3 weeks ago and one of the reps sent me an email confirming that the cancellation can't be reversed.

I wonder how this case works. Is Tesla suing the Ontario gov't for damages also? or simply to overturn the decision on the exclusion?

Not a lawyer - but I think Tesla sued due to being singled out and wants all orders placed before July 11th and delivered before Sept. 10 to be included in the the "orderly wind down" of the EV rebate program. It's only fair that that all customer in Ontario can get the rebate as promised in good faith by Doug Ford's tweets. I know many people ordered after election date based on this promise in the new Policy announcement platform of Twitter (god bless Mr. Trump).

EDIT*

*I see I didn't answer the question :). Hypothetically speaking - I imagine Tesla wants the to included (overturn PCs filing/Bill) as it is in the PC's power and mandate to do what they campaigned on. The PC's singling out and excluding Tesla in the wind down grace period is what started all this.

Tesla suing for damages in addition to being included in the Sept. 10th deadline would be a bad optical move and bad PR. However it would be within their right (if they chose to) as the "franchised dealership" goal post move has led to sales losses in Ontario and created the Corporation vs the Government of Ontario scenario (in extension the people of Ontario - abate actual 40% who voted PC).

Of course, the opposite could be true and the sources are wrong - the PC's got the lawsuit thrown out and I'm speaking rubbish :)

Last edited:
Ok - here’s what I know:

A ruling was in favour of Tesla. The province will be directly compensating Tesla to the tune of $150,000. I presume that is for court costs (ie, hiring of lawyers).

The briefing as it was read to me did NOT include information on whether or not Tesla customers will be retroactively included in the rebate - however it would certainly be strange for Tesla to be found in the right and for us to still be without the rebate. Unfortunately we are just going to have to wait for the media to pick up on this unless someone can go to the courthouse and read it for themselves. I’ll ask my wife but I’m certain she won’t be ok with it as we have plans tonight.