Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not for those who cancelled because some Tesla reps would not permit waiting on the results of the lawsuit
I do believe you and the other 174 canceled orders will have to wait for the lawyers to address this with the courts. I sincerely hope you get a resolution. The courts should be advising the government on these cancelled orders. To hard for the government to post a new rule on the MTO. I would have to say that any resolution for the 175 would have to be private.

Anyways, rooting for you.

Not for those who cancelled because some Tesla reps would not permit waiting on the results of the lawsuit

Toronto Star:

In San Francisco, a Tesla spokesperson said the firm is “happy the ministry did the right thing by delivering on its promise to ensure all affected EV owners receive their incentives during the wind-down period.

“For customers who cancelled their orders as a result of the government's initial decision and now wish to renew, we hope the government will work with us to achieve a fair resolution,” the spokesperson said.

...I'm hoping for some feedback from Tesla on this front.

Reactions: champion1955
Happened to be in the area so I drove by the Tesla service center in Oakville today and there were quite a few new Model 3s on the lot. None of them seemed to be AWD.

A week or so ago, I was near there and noticed the lot was almost empty. So it seems a new shipment came in

Update for Sunday am...There are 22 TM3s in the lot in Oakville this am! Including 7 MCRed ones! Seems a lot of soon to be happy owners in the near future & perhaps a less happy GO/@FordNation/Yakabuski.

Anyone know how charging station rebate works? We bought the charger before the cut off so I know we are ok with that but installation is this week (before deadline). Do we only get the charger rebate or charger and installation? And if only charger do we still need to get a certificate for installation if installation is not part of the rebate?

Anyone know how charging station rebate works? We bought the charger before the cut off so I know we are ok with that but installation is this week (before deadline). Do we only get the charger rebate or charger and installation? And if only charger do we still need to get a certificate for installation if installation is not part of the rebate?

I am in the same boat and did some research last week. My understanding is that to qualify for the rebate you need to:

- Purchase the charger before July 11th
- If you want the installation credit it also needs to be installed and inspected by ESA before July 11th.
- If you are only submitting for the charger (not installation) then it needs to be installed and inspected by ESA on or before Sept 10th.
- You need a plated, insured qualifying EV before Sept 10th as well.
- Forms need to be submitted 90 days after July 11th

Good luck. I have my electrician coming on the 5th and ESA coming on the 6th. If I fail the inspection I wont get the credit which is 50% of $715.29.

Last edited:
Hey Guys - I am getting my car this Friday and just want to say thanks to everyone on here that made a difference. I joined this group when we found out about the cancellation and its been by far the best source for any info on tesla and the rebate. The $14k will make a HUGE difference to the fam. Its been a crazy ride I am confident it will be worth it. I am sorry to all those who cancelled - I really hope something is worked out.

Hey Guys - I am getting my car this Friday and just want to say thanks to everyone on here that made a difference. I joined this group when we found out about the cancellation and its been by far the best source for any info on tesla and the rebate. The $14k will make a HUGE difference to the fam. Its been a crazy ride I am confident it will be worth it. I am sorry to all those who cancelled - I really hope something is worked out.
Congrats! do you mind telling us when you ordered and when did Tesla contact you regarding delivery? I am starting to feel like if people haven't been already contacted that they won't get their car in time

Congrats! do you mind telling us when you ordered and when did Tesla contact you regarding delivery? I am starting to feel like if people haven't been already contacted that they won't get their car in time

I got a call from them on July 27th (i think) from a random 416 number that was my delivery contact. I still don't have a VIN on my Tesla account but they emailed it to me. June 9th config - black if that makes any difference.

I am in the same boat and did some research last week. My understanding is that to qualify for the rebate you need to:

- If you want the installation credit it also needs to be installed and inspected by ESA before July 11th.
- If you are only submitting for the charger (not installation) then it needs to be installed and inspected by ESA on or before Sept 10th.

Good luck. I have my electrician coming on the 5th and ESA coming on the 6th. If I fail the inspection I wont get the credit which is 50% of $715.29.
Guess better than nothing. :) Thank you for sharing

Question for those who picked up already...does the sales agreement indicate order date? I want to be sure mine says the origin date when I pick up the car as I changed the colour once even though I originally ordered on June 27 and the order agreement date changes each time ...just don't know where/what to look for on pickup day

Question for those who picked up already...does the sales agreement indicate order date? I want to be sure mine says the origin date when I pick up the car as I changed the colour once even though I originally ordered on June 27 and the order agreement date changes each time ...just don't know where/what to look for on pickup day
Yes it does, I see 2 purchase documents 1 with original order date when you drop the deposit and 1 with the date of which u picked up

Typically you also need a permit for the ESA guy as well.

I kind of know what you feel like...not exactly the same, but I decided to go AWD since there was, in my opinion at the time, very little chance of the rebate deadline being changed. When the decision came yesterday, I felt a pit in my stomach for a bit, because I thought "my 5k AWD upgrade just became a 20k upgrade. If I had just risked it and ordered RWD...."

But there is no predicting the future, and I'm not sure if tesla saying they were suing would have changed my mind at the time. It's easy to armchair quarterback but I don't think many people actually expected the legal action to be sorted out this quickly.

On the flip side, if tesla had said "we are taking Ford to court and we feel we have a strong case", but then lost the court case, I'm sure anyone who kept their orders would be totally freaking out.

They did the ''safe" thing by not divulging the lawsuit until it was filed....in actuality, they probably had their lawyers write it all up, then management made a final call on whether to file it at the last minute. I'm sure they had internal debates on whether they should pursue the court case, and if that's true you can't really expect them to make public statements about things they hadn't fully decided on yet....

Either way, 24h later, I'm still at peace with my AWD decision. I think you have to ask yourself; would you be happier keeping your order and not getting the rebate, or not getting the car, and having the rebate come back for a ~2 week window. Tough call, but I expect most people would chose the latter.

I am in exactly the same position and sometimes wish I had ordered the RWD and still had hopes of getting the rebate. But deep down I wanted the AWD since I do back roads driving in the snow belt to get to work. I'm kind of at peace with it. I'll still save a ton of $ as I spend about $5000 per year commuting.