Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

oops! Germany is worried!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least you will never hear that Tesla cheated emissions testing.

It should be cheating too! It seems the "bad advertisement is an advertisement too" theory works. ;)

Just curious do you own a Tesla or do you troll for one of the car companies?

No, I don't have a Tesla and I'm not a Tesla fanatic. But I like and support EVs and I keep an eye on Tesla since it's the frontier of this EVolution.

Anyway... What I said is just bare facts proven with numbers! I didn't write any of these articles. If the reality is bitter for you and you want to live in candy land between pink clouds is your problem. But let me being realistic. The facts are facts, this LA Times article is pure stupidity. And again: this is not my opinion, I'm not trolling, but this is world outside. Period.

It should be cheating too! It seems the "bad advertisement is an advertisement too" theory works. ;)

No, I don't have a Tesla and I'm not a Tesla fanatic. But I like and support EVs and I keep an eye on Tesla since it's the frontier of this EVolution.

Anyway... What I said is just bare facts proven with numbers! I didn't write any of these articles. If the reality is bitter for you and you want to live in candy land between pink clouds is your problem. But let me being realistic. The facts are facts, this LA Times article is pure stupidity. And again: this is not my opinion, I'm not trolling, but this is world outside. Period.
There is no doubt great cars come out of Germany, I was stating a fact (tongue in cheek). The day the electric BWM 3 series is out, Germany will not have a reason to worry... That day is coming bc Tesla is open source and pioneering the movement. I think the odds are other manufacturers will still try to downplay and belittle Tesla's progress for their own short term gain.

Why is Germany worried? Japan should be more worried. I've never understood all the Audi/BMW talk in context of the 3. The number one former car of Model 3 owners..... the Prius, number two, the Leaf, and I bet Subaru will be in the mix also.

A BMW has never been a practical or environmental decision, and the 3 offers so much of both, as do/did many Japanese cars.

In an other thread about the same article I've already told my opinion so let me quote myself:
Have to disagree with your comments. Yes, the Germany big 3 can easily produce additional 50k cars in one quarter. BUT this is for ICE cars that you are talking about. You didn't even consider where the heck the German get the entire EV supplier chain, logistic chain from. Where did they get the battery and electric motor up to that volume?? It takes a lot of time to ramp up an entire EV manufacturing and logistic chain that only exists in very small scale currently in Germany. It is very different from ramping up existing ICE manufacturing chain.

Let alone German are just starting to get into the beginning of R&D and design phase for a EV that can compete with Tesla. They are not anywhere even close to the manufacturing phase yet. It will be at least in 2018 before we will see anything from German that can compete with Model S or Model X, which would make it 6 years behind Tesla first produce a Model S. That's extremely late in any industry in this fast changing technology world.

Currently, the few noticeable EVs from Germany are VW Golf EV, BMW i3, and Mercedes B class EV. All these are just "compliance" cars so that the manufacturers can barely go above the regulation requirements. Please don't tell me these cars already compete with Tesla because they are not even close. The main reason that the German still doesn't have a EV that compete with Tesla yet is because they believe there would be very low demand for EV based on the sales they see from their own "compliance" EVs. They believe it is a complete waste of time and money to make a EV with good range and technology. It is because of such conclusion that lead them into the situation now. Model S and X have proven the German are wrong. And with the massive reservation of Model 3, it should be a huge wake up call for Germany.

Actually, the German and European can keep up with their arrogance and keep ignoring Tesla. It will only help Tesla even more to dominate the EV markets for years and years to come. Tesla will surely appreciate the German arrogance and ego.

I do find it extremely ironic that the German is one the world leaders in sustainable energy tech such as solar panel, wind turbine, battery storage etc. And given the extreme environmental awareness in both the government and public levels, the German should be a leader in EV cars as well. But yet, the German manufacturers seems to be totally going against the environmental tide.

Last edited:
There are two competing approaches to the transition to a fully electric model lineup. The tesla approach was to heavily invest in R&D and try to make leaps of progress designing their entire lineup based on an exclusively electric drivetrain. I think German manufacturers as well as the Japanese are applying incremental technologies to their existing drivetrains and car designs with supplemental electric motors, battery packs, etc. while keeping main elements of the original mechanical design. Pros and cons for either approach... If Tesla executes successfully, they will have a distinct advantage and pull ahead by a wide margin... This remains to be seen, model 3 success will be telling.

Last edited:
Tesla may be a disruptor to automobiles, much like Apple was a disruptor to the mobile phone market.
Blackberry Mobile Was an industry leader in smartphones and was very dismissive of the first iPhone, and look what happened. I believe all automakers fear that Tesla may be a very disrupting force in this industry.

Have to disagree with your comments. Yes, the Germany big 3 can easily produce additional 50k cars in one quarter. BUT this is for ICE cars that you are talking about. You didn't even consider where the heck the German get the entire EV supplier chain, logistic chain from. Where did they get the battery and electric motor up to that volume?? It takes a lot of time to ramp up an entire EV manufacturing and logistic chain that only exists in very small scale currently in Germany. It is very different from ramping up existing ICE manufacturing chain.

Let alone German are just starting to get into the beginning of R&D and design phase for a EV that can compete with Tesla. They are not anywhere even close to the manufacturing phase yet. It will be at least in 2018 before we will see anything from German that can compete with Model S or Model X, which would make it 6 years behind Tesla first produce a Model S. That's extremely late in any industry in this fast changing technology world.

Currently, the few noticeable EVs from Germany are VW Golf EV, BMW i3, and Mercedes B class EV. All these are just "compliance" cars so that the manufacturers can barely go above the regulation requirements. Please don't tell me these cars already compete with Tesla because they are not even close. The main reason that the German still doesn't have a EV that compete with Tesla yet is because they believe there would be very low demand for EV based on the sales they see from their own "compliance" EVs. They believe it is a complete waste of time and money to make a EV with good range and technology. It is because of such conclusion that lead them into the situation now. Model S and X have proven the German are wrong. And with the massive reservation of Model 3, it should be a huge wake up call for Germany.

Actually, the German and European can keep up with their arrogance and keep ignoring Tesla. It will only help Tesla even more to dominate the EV markets for years and years to come. Tesla will surely appreciate the German arrogance and ego.

I do find it extremely ironic that the German is one the world leaders in sustainable energy tech such as solar panel, wind turbine, battery storage etc. And given the extreme environmental awareness in both the government and public levels, the German should be a leader in EV cars as well. But yet, the German manufacturers seems to be totally going against the environmental tide.

In germany the cost of electricity is 40 cents per kilowatt hour. If you really want to know why german companies don't want to develop EVs, that's your answer. For a German customer an EV would be very expensive to purchase and very expensive to operate too.

Interesting news article! VW scandal and Tesla recent success should be a huge wake up call for Germany.
Yes - the plan VW is proposing (for the US at least) is to buy back all those cars ... 6 figures worth of cars ... hope the smog cheat was worth it to them. Now VW is somewhat forced to look more seriously at plugins.
In germany the cost of electricity is 40 cents per kilowatt hour. If you really want to know why german companies don't want to develop EVs, that's your answer. For a German customer an EV would be very expensive to purchase and very expensive to operate too.
and gas is ~ mid $5/gallon. So they can take that carbon energy & run it through the power generating stations in stead.
;)

You are aware that while electricity is .40 KWH in Germany so expensive by our standards so is gas, running around $5.60 to $6 a US gallon across much of Europe so that argument is moot or even still in favor of an EV.
The price of electricity in Germany is closer to .15 cents US per KWh, price of gas is closer to $6 US per gallon. A full charge would cost around $10-15 US in Germany to give you approx 200 miles. A 23 gallon X5 SUV would cost around $115 US to fill up over there, albeit would give you a slightly longer range approx 450 miles. These are back of napkin calculations, but you can get the idea.

There is no doubt great cars come out of Germany, I was stating a fact (tongue in cheek). The day the electric BWM 3 series is out, Germany will not have a reason to worry... That day is coming bc Tesla is open source and pioneering the movement. I think the odds are other manufacturers will still try to downplay and belittle Tesla's progress for their own short term gain.

The day will come, for sure, but I don't think they want to use Tesla's technology. Instead they're working on their on solutions.

Why is Germany worried? Japan should be more worried. I've never understood all the Audi/BMW talk in context of the 3. The number one former car of Model 3 owners..... the Prius, number two, the Leaf, and I bet Subaru will be in the mix also.

A BMW has never been a practical or environmental decision, and the 3 offers so much of both, as do/did many Japanese cars.

I'm not arguing that Tesla will steal some customers from the German premium brands with the Model 3, but I don't think this is gonna be many. The people who have always bought these cars don't really care much about things like efficiency and so. I mean they do a little bit, but these things are not the main reasons in their decision-making process. Tesla maybe takes a couple of 10-thousands of customers per brand, but while they can grow with 150-200 thousands sales per year, they won't feel much from the Model 3. IMO the cheaper sub-brands of GM and VW will suffer the most from the Model 3.

IMO they count on a slow and continuous increase in demand (and it seems to be true by now). And don't forget they've already invested billions of € into EV developments. MB and Porsche is even going to build a new factory for future EV models, and they already have numbers of factories all around the world. As the demand shifts from ICE to EVs, it's much easier to change the production in existing plants.

No, they're not just starting the R&D! :) I mean I can't speak in the name of other brands, but since I've been a BMW fan for a long time, a know it's history a little bit. And I can tell you that the first electric BMW prototype was made back in 1959. They have been researching alternative drive modes for more than 50 years. And at the moment BMW has the most advanced electric motor technology, BTW.

I don't say that everybody has been so diligent in the recent years, there're late risers (I think Porsche is one of them), but the majors are aware of the future for a long time.

Neither, I don't think that these EVs are competitors for Tesla. These are just study cars and their main goal is to help the company to pass the CO2 emission regulations. But I don't think they made their decisions based on their own sales only. They are not that stupid! :) The entire EV market was roughly 100-150k cars last year. Some of these carmakers growth was even bigger! If they could split the entire EV market among each other, it wasn't a big deal for them. And that's the point! That's why they don't feel that urge to get seriously in the EV market. If once Tesla will reach the 500k car per year, that is something and it's gonna be a big milestone in the company's history. But it's still years away, and for these, it was only a weak quarter.

It has nothing to do with the car companies. It is the people all around the world. If the people would like to buy more EVs than carmakers would make more. That's it. But nowadays (sadly!!!) 99 people out of 100 would buy an ICE car instead of an EV.

Anyway... I don't want to make predictions of any carmarker's future, and specially I don't want to compete them. My first comment was only about that stupid LA Times article because in the light of the real sale numbers it's easy to see what the CURRENT situation is. But what the future will bring is a mystery for all of us. I hope Tesla's success will urge the giants to get in the game!

It doesn't matter that the fuel costs more when they have european diesels that get 60mpg. The math doesn't work for an EV
So your original assertion that KWH price in Germany is .40 cents was wrong, other posters have said more like the US at .15. Yet their gas prices are 2.5 times what we pay. The model S gets the equivalent of 93 mpg yet you state that a diesel getting 60mpg makes more sense to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Norway is the most mature EV marked in the world, EVs with about 20% marked share. Tesla used to be the best selling car, not only EV, but overall. But now EVs from VW, BMW, Renault, Nissan and Kia are selling more than Tesla . So the impression I get here that Tesla gets it all right and the rest of the in industry is stupid is just not correct.

Greetings from an I3 and Tesla owner ;-)

Reactions: Drivin
Germans Japanese or even the Italians have nothing to worry about if tesla can't get a handle on their quality control. The model s was a botched roll out and the model x has been a disaster too. I have no clue how tesla is supposed to deliver hundreds of thousands of model 3s when they can't even get the low volume stuff right

Reactions: Drivin