Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Op-Ed: Why I’d Still Choose A Tesla Model 3 Over The Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Model Y may be bigger and more practical, but it’s not for everyone. Before starting this opinion piece about why I’d still choose a Tesla Model 3 over a Model Y, even though the latter is touted as being better in many so ways, I must mention that higher-riding vehicles aren’t for me. While I...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/03/17/tesla-model-3-over-model-y/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

The only tech upgrade I'm aware of is the heat pump, which would be a significant upgrade for those driving in places that actually have Winters. Perhaps the wiring is improved, but I don't think of that as an upgrade, unless it turns out to improve long-term reliability.

Depending on usage requirements, though, several of the features could be considered upgrades:
  • Hatch (motorized)
  • Massive luggage capacity increase
  • Easier ingress/egress
  • Second row leg room (40" vs 35")
  • Increased ground clearance (roughly 1.5")

I'm curious to see how much cornering is affected by the additional height. The weight split is the same, and it should be mostly down low since the battery/skateboard is all pretty similar. If it doesn't roll like a typical crossover, and can come kind of close to the model 3, I'm sold.

I get both sides of the argument.

But right now, at least in North America, buyers seem to have an insatiable desire for SUV's. Now Tesla fans can choose from one or the other at a price point that opens a lot more doors than the X ever could (not meant to be a dig on the Falcon Wing Doors)

I expect you will see the Y and the 3 cross shopped (seems to already be happening as evidenced by this article), and to an extent the Y will take some of what would have been 3 sales if the Y did not exist.

Really curious how many outstanding Y orders there are. Before the last few weeks I was thinking U.S. Y sales would be in the 75k range over the next twelve months, assuming Tesla can ship the cars. Not sure what the events of the last 10 days have done to that number.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Love the drive of the 3 but that 1.5"s more clearance can be crucial on snow covered mountain roads. My X has been great in the snow, 3 not so much. The hope is the Y will be close enough to the 3 in driving but even if it's not we'll live with it and take the extra cargo space.

Agree the 3 is an amazing car, our first EV and its pure joy to drive and has a lot of bang for buck IMO, nothing can touch it right now cept maybe the Y when winters are a reality.

This long post was basically "I don't own a Tesla, but I like sedans more than SUVs." Was not a very good read, honestly.

The model 3 and the model Y are glaring lackluster compared to the model X. Neither have adjustable suspension, which changes how the vehicles handle quite drastically. It would be interesting to see how the Y handles next to the X, but handling isn't the reason someone would be interested in an SUV over a sedan.

Also, "lots of tech" isn't a very astute observation. Most people don't seem to understand how incredibly advanced these vehicles are. It's not just the FSD that separates them, but the overall intelligence of the features, from the steering to the automatic doors.

To the model 3's credit, it's not nearly as long as the model S. However, it seems to make excessive noise (both parked and while driving) compared to the luxury models. I wonder if the model Y has the same issue.

I do not necessarily disagree with his preference (I have a 3), but the article is garbage.

1 - The 3 looks better than the Y.
I can't really argue with that as it is totally subjective, but that is just 1 sentence out of 2 pages that make up the article.​

2 - The Y has more cargo room, but no more 2nd row leg room. He doesn't care about cargo room, but he does care about 2nd row leg room.
As others have pointed out, the premise is just not true, the Y has 5 extra inches of 2nd row legroom. Plus with a higher seat your legs point more down than out, so the same leg requires less leg room. There is significantly more people space in the Y.​

3 - "4.4-second sprint time to sixty is more than enough for my daily needs" "Sprint time to sixty is increased to 4.8 seconds from 4.4 in the Model 3 and top speed also drops by 10 mph to 135 mph."
I can see how faster is always better, but if 4.4 is "more than enough" as you said, how can 4.8 be too slow? Do you really think that the appropriate place to draw the line between 4.5 and 4.8? If so, can you expound upon how decided that what where to draw the line? Or are you saying that you frequently exceed 135mph? And in either case, why not consider the Performance Y if 4.8/135 is too slow?​

4 - The Y is slightly more prone to leaning through the corners.
Have you driven an Y on a hard corner? If you have driven the Y on a track, please share more details. That would be far more interesting than the story you published. And if you have not driven the Y (most likely given the number of Y's out there at this point), how can you say that you don't like they way it handles?​

I can think of plenty of other reasons to prefer the 3, but the only valid reason discussed is the subjective appearance. Did you really need to write 2 pages to say that you think the 3 would look better sitting in your driveway?

Well, we all have our preferences and our favorites. This would have made a dandy forum post here on TMC or on Reddit, but as a front-page article… a bit weak.

For whatever it’s worth, I also favor a sedan over the so-called “SUV” (actually crossover—let’s leave the real SUV to Rivian, they seem to have it nailed). I still think the Model S is the true flagship. The Model X is an Xercise in Xess. And the Y is a dandy HbPFV, a Homely-but-Practical Family Vehicle, the station wagon / minivan of our time. Many will find that it fills their needs well.

If there was a model 3 with hatchback or in wagon form (without the additional height the Y has) I would really need to think hard what to get. A sedan is just too impractical as it comes to cargo space.

Few years ago I had a BMW 435 GC which is basically a better looking (4-door) 3 series with a hatchback. BMW very hard avoided to call it a hatchback though (at least in the USA).

- improved insulation
- improved roof (no cross bar)
- improved design (hatch vs trunk)
- improved battery heating (heat pump)
- improved frunk design (no more struts)
- improved 5th door (motorized)
- improved leg and head room

Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think the proportions of the Y are far superior than the 3.