Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Op-Ed: Why I’d Still Choose A Tesla Model 3 Over The Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, I have a lot of kids - four are home right now, so we are waiting for the 7-passenger Model Y so that we can fit them all into one vehicle. We are patiently waiting for that version to be sold. I prefer SUVs over sedans - I still miss my Isuzu Vehicross that was stolen in San Diego. I had that modified to fit seven people (stock only seated four). I also love the fact that the Model Y has a heat pump and no chrome. I was in line for the Model 3 pre-sale, but gave up on it as it was too small for our needs. Just my opinion...

Brent

For me, I have a lot of kids - four are home right now, so we are waiting for the 7-passenger Model Y so that we can fit them all into one vehicle. We are patiently waiting for that version to be sold. I prefer SUVs over sedans - I still miss my Isuzu Vehicross that was stolen in San Diego. I had that modified to fit seven people (stock only seated four). I also love the fact that the Model Y has a heat pump and no chrome. I was in line for the Model 3 pre-sale, but gave up on it as it was too small for our needs. Just my opinion...

Brent
Brent, any concern regarding exceeding the Payload limit when carrying 7 passengers? Surprised that a vehicle designed to carry up to 7 pax would not be capable of carrying more total weight.

Didn't have to read this biased article. What drove me away was this, quoted from his first sentence: "....I must mention that higher-riding vehicles aren’t for me."

Shouldn't an unbiased author write such an article?
It's an opinion piece. He's entitled to his opinion. Just as we are entitled to ignore the opinion of a writer on a car he has never seen, sat in or driven.

Not sure why so many are upset about this article. Bottom line is the 3 is going to make sense for some people and the Y will make more sense for others. I think the OP clearly states that.

Why do so many Tesla fans become so defensive when others don't have the same opinion about Tesla and/or a specific model? I have never seen anything like it. One even gets the sense the OP's message is that the Y does not mean the end of the 3"s success. Sure there are some who might have bought the 3 if not for the Y. But it's no different than the 3's effect on S and X sales. Does not mean the S and X are no longer successful.

Just go on any random BMW/Audi/Mercedes forum ;)
I've owned every one of those nameplates and have long actively participated in forums for each. Sure you will get the occasional thin skinned member who interprets a dislike for his paint color as a personal attack, but no way is it to the same level as with Tesla. I would think it would be less with Tesla, not more.

Sure you will get the occasional thin skinned member who interprets a dislike for his paint color as a personal attack, but no way is it to the same level as with Tesla. I would think it would be less with Tesla, not more.

I'm pretty new to the world of Tesla, but this reminds me when I was a Mac user during the 90s (pre-iPod, pre-iPhone). I wouldn't say Mac users were thin skinned, but there were a lot passionate folks out there. It was more than a computer; it was a lifestyle. :)

Today, the Mac, and Apple products in general, have become relatively mainstream. There are still people who love (or hate) Apple products, but the level of passion among the user base seems to have receded as it grew.

I would guess that the same thing is happening with Tesla owners. It's been a small, passionate group of owners, some who see it as much more than just a car or a company. As it becomes more mainstream -- like BMW/Mercedes/etc. -- I'll bet that sensitivity (and passion) will start to ease.