Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening the doors in the Model S if power fails

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having trouble locating it but I believe Outsider posted pictures of the manual for the Model S shown on the display. It did show the ability to open the doors via a sensor in the wheel well on the passenger side by placing the key there. Maybe someone else can locate the post.
That procedure is in case the key fob battery dies. It requires the car to have power to read the key fob and unlock the doors. This thread is about what if the 12V battery dies and the car's basic systems don't have power.

I am having trouble locating it but I believe Outsider posted pictures of the manual for the Model S shown on the display. It did show the ability to open the doors via a sensor in the wheel well on the passenger side by placing the key there. Maybe someone else can locate the post.

I remember seeing that as well, but I guess the question is if that works even in the event of a complete battery failure?

EDIT: strider beat me to it... by 6 hours. What I get for replying before hitting the end of the thread...

Yes, my Corvette had a physical key to let you open the trunk. You could then crawl in and hit the manual release on the door. Model S will need something like this.
Along these lines, 2nd gen and 3rd gen Priuses have a small mechanical key you use to unlock the driver's door via keyhole in the event the 12 volt or fob battery is dead.

On smart key system equipped 2nd gens, if the fob's battery is dead, you put it in a slot. Nissan Altimas w/Intelligent Key (that's their parlance) make you do the same thing. On 3rd gen Priuses, if the fob battery is dead, you put the fob near the power button while putting your foot on the brake + pushing power.

I've been in Seattle on vacation for the last few days (my sister got married!), and I visited the Tesla store while I was there. It was very exciting since I've never been to one before. I talked to a few of the very nice, helpful people who worked there (hi Maddie!), and I asked one of the people there about this issue. He said that when the car is delivered to you, you get both that cool Model S wireless thing to unlock the car, and you get a physical key for emergencies. To unlock the car from the outside in the event of complete power failure, you use the physical key in the hidden key hole, which is under the wheel well on the front drivers side. There is a small window that you slide open to get to the key hole. The Seattle store had a Beta that didn't have the hidden key hole, but the production models should have it.

I've been in Seattle on vacation for the last few days (my sister got married!), and I visited the Tesla store while I was there. It was very exciting since I've never been to one before. I talked to a few of the very nice, helpful people who worked there (hi Maddie!), and I asked one of the people there about this issue. He said that when the car is delivered to you, you get both that cool Model S wireless thing to unlock the car, and you get a physical key for emergencies. To unlock the car from the outside in the event of complete power failure, you use the physical key in the hidden key hole, which is under the wheel well on the front drivers side. There is a small window that you slide open to get to the key hole. The Seattle store had a Beta that didn't have the hidden key hole, but the production models should have it.
Cool, thanks for that info!

I would be surprised to have a physical key. Why build in a RFID Xmitter by the wheel well to unlock the doors? If the 12 battery is down, what good will getting inside do you? The key fob is detected by another RFID, no key. I would expect that the circuitry of the traction pack keeps the 12v battery up, and replacement of the battery is a scheduled job.

But, like you all, I don't know. I will wait and see. You can argue about how many teeth the horse has, but until someone actually looks, I don't take anybody's rumor for it.+

If the 12 battery is down, what good will getting inside do you?
Well, what you really need is a way to get to the 12V battery, or to a suitable jump-start point for the 12V system. As I understand it, the 12V is under one of the plastic fairings in the frunk (up near the windshield on the passenger side). So far, the only way I've seen to open the frunk is via the touch screen, so opening a cabin door doesn't get you to the battery directly.

But, it does get you to the 12V accessory port. That may be enough to connect one of those jumper cables that plugs into the "cigarette lighter"/accessory port. All you'd need is enough current to boot the computer. That might be all you need, if the car then begins charging the 12V from the traction pack. Or, you could at least open the frunk and get to the actual battery.

I will definitely be reading this manual. :)

The guy I talked to (I didn't get his name) sounded pretty sure of himself, but I also realize that people can be misinformed / make mistakes. I would be interested to see if that's how it actually works once people here start getting their cars. I guess that should happen in the coming weeks.

Not sure if this is relevant to the topic, as I haven't read all six pages, but my old (and my current) Jaguar had the battery in the trunk. A great place to put it for weight balance. Unfortunately, the old one had some transmission trouble one winter, so I parked it for a few months.

When I went back to it, to get the transmission fixed, the battery was dead. Because the trunk is typically released by either the interior button, or the key fob (neither of which will work with a dead battery), the mechanical key release was more or less corroded solid after years of non-use. I couldn't get into the trunk to replace the battery! After about 15 minutes of working the key with some penetrating oil (and praying that I would not break the key off in the lock), it finally opened.

Moral of the story is there had better be a way of mechanically opening the frunk to service the battery in case it goes dead. One that doesn't involve taking the car apart.

And consider this: Given that the Model S does not have a mechanical key, how secure will the frunk be, once it becomes widely known where the mechanical release is?

The guy I talked to (I didn't get his name) sounded pretty sure of himself, but I also realize that people can be misinformed / make mistakes. I would be interested to see if that's how it actually works once people here start getting their cars. I guess that should happen in the coming weeks.

Heh, yeah, so was the guy I talked to who said you'd have to call for service :smile:

roblab said:
I would be surprised to have a physical key. Why build in a RFID Xmitter by the wheel well to unlock the doors? If the 12 battery is down, what good will getting inside do you?

Separate emergency key perhaps. As for getting in if it's dead -- to get at your stuff. What if I left a big ol' piece of chocolate on the seat before the sun came up? :smile: