Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jason S & Mike K: I agree with you that flipping things around would work also. The trade off is that more open space is lost in order to accommodate beverage containers taller than ~8" since the under-display shelf juts out over the open space farther than the arm rests do and 8" is about the maximum container height beneath the shelf. But if one is willing to give up more open space flipping things is certainly another way to do it.

The objective in my minimalist proposal was to retain as much open space as possible while accommodating containers taller than 8". For a minimalist who can live with beverage containers no taller than ~8" and of modest diameter remember that original option #3 on the first page of this thread is also a consideration.

Whether incorporated into a b.noing-vertical, solflauthor-horizontal or minimalist type option, it seems most people agree that ideally the current cup holders under the arm rests should be relocated and replaced with a storage cubby. The question is where to relocate them depending on individual needs. Each of the eventual options Tesla offers us may have the relocated cup holders in a different place.

(Jason S: +1 on a USB port in the resulting cubby under arm rests when current cup holders are relocated.)

Last edited:
Yeah, I've changed my mind about my suggestion above after sitting in the car today. Have a look:

IMG_0104.JPG

This car had the front cup holder Opportunity Console (and the shelf) installed. The bag that's in the between-seat area is a very small camera bag, no more than 10" long. If cup holders were moved far enough aft to clear the bottom of the screen, it would not leave enough space for anything substantial.

A couple of quick items from the Palo Alto event today.

First, I was able to put a "New iPad" into the glove box. The iPad (placed in sideways) extends slightly past the hinge point of the door, so when you close the door, it lifts the iPad up a bit, but it does close. You'd be hard pressed to get it in there with a lot of other stuff. The iPad will also fit in the new shelf under the screen, but it won't fit sideways, so it ends up hanging several inches out of the shelf. I wasn't able to take pictures of these iPad experiments.

But, I did get couple of photos at the event today. First, an iPhone in the new shelf.
IMG_0108.JPG

Then, since it was requested, a couple of dimensions for the shelf. I'm sorry I wasn't able to take detailed measurements.
IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

Mike K, Exceptional pictures, thanks! Fantastic feedback. It does look like one would need to sacrifice a prohibitive amount of open space to position front cup holders aft enough for taller than ~8" containers to clear the shelf. But cup holders relocated under the shelf, original option #3, look like they would work as a minimalist console option if a person limits his/her beverage containers to less than ~8" and a modest diameter. What do you think (not necessarily that you would want that option for yourself)? [Dimensions of a coke can: h = 4.75", d = 2.6"]

Also, do you recall if there was a gap between the bottom of the glove box door and the lower front edge of the glove box that items could fall through onto the floor? This was the case in at least some of the betas. Every car I have ever driven, however, has had no gap between glove box and glove box door that things can slip through so I suspect this may have been an oversight. Wondering if Tesla has fixed this in the production glove box.

Last edited:
Glad they're helpful!

There isn't a meaningful gap with the glove box open. The way the door works, it pivots out and down (it's not a simple "piano" type hinge), so it ends up slightly below the actual opening, with a little bit of the leather peeking up and visible. There is a small gap to allow for this door swing to work, but I couldn't even fit a fingertip into that gap with the door open. I didn't try at all possible door angles, so there may be moments when the gap is larger.

I posted a photo and some thoughts about it in this post.

Yeah, I've changed my mind about my suggestion above after sitting in the car today. Have a look:

View attachment 7751

This car had the front cup holder Opportunity Console (and the shelf) installed. The bag that's in the between-seat area is a very small camera bag, no more than 10" long. If cup holders were moved far enough aft to clear the bottom of the screen, it would not leave enough space for anything substantial.

Was the soda can stable in that cup holder? Also, when driving, is it a long reach to get the soda?

Was the soda can stable in that cup holder? Also, when driving, is it a long reach to get the soda?

I'd be a bit nervous about a full can there. In the arm rest, there are spring thingies at grip the can firmly, and it's a fairly deep as well. The front holder is a bit shallow and doesn't grip the can. It's hard to say without driving with one, though. I didn't think to test the reach, sorry.

I did play with the arm rest holders, and they are really not in a good spot. The arm rest is totally unusable with something in the holder. If you're driving solo (which I usually am), you could put a drink in the passenger-side holder and still use the driver's rest.

Soflauthor: outstanding! Mahalo! Can't wait.

MikeK: thanks for the info on the glove box and the cup holder feedback. I'd value your opinion on where you personally would prefer to see the the cup holders relocated based on your experience in the car. Not looking for a one size fits all solution, just interested in your personal preference as someone who has thought about this quite a bit and has taken some measurements in the car.

Honestly, I'm not sure. The arm rest location isn't great, as I mentioned, and we know that the front location imposes some limits on the kinds of containers or travel mugs you can fit. One thought I had was that it might be possible to take b.noing's "tall cubby" idea, but make it hinge at the bottom so that it flipped down into the floor recess, with two cup holder recesses in it. That would move the holders far enough back that you could clear the shelf and screen, while not permanently occupying that floor recess. The down side, of course, is that you couldn't use both the cup holders and the full floor area at the same time, which sort of sucks for somebody who really wants to use that recess, but also wants to have a beverage.

It might be that the best option is something that extends forward of where the current cup holders are (possibly sliding/folding), so that you could use the arm rest and still have a spot for a drink. But here, too, the arm rests are fairly far back as it is, and even with them forward I think a drink right in front of them would still be in the way. It would have to be lower as well, I think. Here's a photo I took yesterday. My arm is resting relatively comfortably on the rest, and you can see that half of my forearm still hangs off the front.

IMG_0107.JPG

I wonder whether it would be possible to have the front-mounted opportunity console prototype just be deeper (as in, go down farther towards the road). I don't know if there's any leeway under there to go down, or if it's already at its limit.

I'd be a bit nervous about a full can there. In the arm rest, there are spring thingies at grip the can firmly, and it's a fairly deep as well. The front holder is a bit shallow and doesn't grip the can. It's hard to say without driving with one, though. I didn't think to test the reach, sorry.

I did play with the arm rest holders, and they are really not in a good spot. The arm rest is totally unusable with something in the holder. If you're driving solo (which I usually am), you could put a drink in the passenger-side holder and still use the driver's rest.

I asked a Tesla staff about the holder where you had the soda can, and he said that it was not a cup holder but for your phone, he even said that the final version would have a connector in it. I am not sure if it is accurate information since has a round shape but looking at the soda can and how shallow the holder is, it does not seem like a cup holder as well. Hmm...

I asked a Tesla staff about the holder where you had the soda can, and he said that it was not a cup holder but for your phone, he even said that the final version would have a connector in it. I am not sure if it is accurate information since has a round shape but looking at the soda can and how shallow the holder is, it does not seem like a cup holder as well. Hmm...

That is exactly what I was looking for. Someplace to drop my iPhone (or any phone) in to recharge and link my music without Bluetooth.

Hi Francis,

Thanks for passing on that information.

The problem is that it is in conflict with the label on the photo in the first posting, "Console 3: Cupholders".

Presumably when Michael posted Tesla's photos they also provided the captions. It would be very helpful if he would confirm this. It also wouldn't hurt if Tesla offered an official description of these various console designs in which they discuss the intent of each rather than having us speculate on what they were thinking.

Larry

I swear someone on this site mentioned wanting an in car coffee maker.

Well it looks like Fiat beat Tesla to the punch:

Fiat 500L to launch with worlds first in-car coffee maker option [w/video]

View attachment 7797
I am speechless!!! Caffeine is a DRUG, folks! The obsession with cupholders on this and the factory site astounds me! I think this is an American thing. Frankly, if i did not have a cupholder in the car that would be a good thing and if the space otherwise employed for it was utilised for sunglass storage - then I would consider it useful.

I don't believe that the one in the car I sat in was designed for a phone. It clearly had two curved areas designed for cans or cups. Now, perhaps they're thinking of putting a phone dock there, which would be interesting, but I believe the other Opportunity Console that was designed for a phone had the cradle towards the back of the floor recess, under where the USB and 12V plugs are.

I am speechless!!! Caffeine is a DRUG, folks! The obsession with cupholders on this and the factory site astounds me! I think this is an American thing. Frankly, if i did not have a cupholder in the car that would be a good thing and if the space otherwise employed for it was utilised for sunglass storage - then I would consider it useful.
I assume you are aware that there are non-caffeinated beverages, including water, that can be placed into cup holders?

I wonder whether it would be possible to have the front-mounted opportunity console prototype just be deeper (as in, go down farther towards the road). I don't know if there's any leeway under there to go down, or if it's already at its limit.

Great out of the box thinking MikeK! I hope Tesla is listening. If the bottom of the prototype cup holders (option #3 - they are cup holders not phone holders) were extended below deck level the rims would be high enough with respect to beverage containers to keep them secure from spilling plus taller than ~8" containers could be accommodated. The bottom might need to drop 2" - 3" to accommodate most standard container heights.

The location of those prototype cup holders is actually quite optimum for those who want to retain maximum open space. But most all water bottles and cups with straws are too tall to currently fit under the now-standard shelf.

If the cup holders cannot be extend below deck another possible way to retain that fairly optimum cup holder location for maximized open space would be to have the option to forgo the under-display shelf which currently restricts beverage container height. This would be made possible if Tesla redesigned substantial enough storage under the arm rests (as is found on most other cars and would probably be everyone's #1 concealed storage preference) that the under-display shelf storage becomes superfluous. If it were a sensible option to forgo the shelf, beverage container height would not be restricted. The potential spillage problem is an easy fix with those "springy thingies" or slightly higher rims.

Last edited:

It's obvious that you don't live in a place where temperatures reach 40C and above and drives are often over 100 miles. Being without water isn't just inconvenient, it can be fatal. There are lots of non-caffinated beverages.