Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing that is sorely missing in so many cars is a lock box. it would be very cool to see a "hidden" compartment under the console that locks and unlocks automatically with the car doors and has a good amount of space, maybe even enough for a lap top.

The later Roadsters have this on the glove box when you lock the car with your PIN; it's nowhere near big enough for a laptop though. Does anyone know if the S has the same feature?

I'm sure most people will disagree with me, but I'd like to have a bench seat in the front.
I know it won't happen, but I'm a big fan of bench seats.

I think you're right... most will :tongue:

Actually, I think it's technically impossible... too much lateral G from that 21" rubber might have you sitting on your passengers lap on left-handers however, depending upon the passenger, right-handers could be good.

I think the glove box latch is electrically triggered by the button press next to the display, so it seems possible for that to be disabled when the car is locked. That'd be nice. It's (barely) big enough for an iPad. Laptop, not so much, except an 11" Air or similar.

The reps in the store last weekend, talking about valet mode, said it would be inheriting behavior from the Roadster. So, I'm expecting with high confidence that the glove box will not open from the button when valet mode is activated. Like Homelink, that's a "wait for it" function at this point.

I think you're right... most will :tongue:

Actually, I think it's technically impossible... too much lateral G from that 21" rubber might have you sitting on your passengers lap on left-handers however, depending upon the passenger, right-handers could be good.

Yep. Just see my vision though. Sitting in the front seats, you got your girlfriend, pop in a movie. Bench seats make it real easy to snuggles.
But I suppose most of the people buying this car, won't be using it for dates... other to drive to and from.

Yep. Just see my vision though. Sitting in the front seats, you got your girlfriend, pop in a movie. Bench seats make it real easy to snuggles.
But I suppose most of the people buying this car, won't be using it for dates... other to drive to and from.

I think (pure speculation) that there are Federal requirements that all front seat passengers must have airbags. So if they make it a bench seat they have to put an airbag in the center of the dashboard (which is currently occupied by the 17" screen).

You can always snuggle in the back seat (or the frunk depending on what your girlfriend is into.)

Back more on topic: Does anyone know the maximum diameter beverage container the current cup holders will accommodate? We know from MikeK's photos they will hold a coke can but will they hold a standard 3.0" diameter water bottle or do they just miss? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hmm. I'm not certain, but what I can say is that the cup holder had little springy "fingers" in it so that the soda can that I put in there was held in place and wouldn't move around. But I think there was more play in those fingers, so you could probably put something in there that was nearly the full diameter of that chrome opening.

But, perhaps somebody could drop by a store?

ddruz, what's a standard 3" water bottle? i.e., if I wanted to drop by 7-11 and grab a bottle to try, what should I look for? Myabe I can drop by Menlo Park on the way to work Friday.

ddruz, what's a standard 3" water bottle?
MikeK, Here's a photo of a group of standard 3" diameter water bottles. A standard 3" diameter water bottle fits in holders on bicycles, back packs and all regular car cup holders I have ever seen. I brought an approximately 3.5" diameter Aquafina water bottle on my test drive and it was too large for the current cup holders. The bottled water purchased in stores comes in plastic bottles of varying diameters, many around 3" but also many larger and a few smaller. I've measured them in the supermarket water aisle since following this thread. The ones you buy to refill yourself like in the photo most commonly have a standard 3" diameter, at least in my experience.

Standard 3 in watter bottles.jpg

Last edited:
There have been several comments on the "Rear Console" option provided by Tesla (last picture on first post of this thread) mentioning that while attractive and functional in providing storage and cup holders it is not as well integrated into the car as some would like and it comes at the cost of losing a passenger seat. Nonetheless, reading the posts my impression is that many people will be willing to accept those trade offs in version 1.0 of Model S since they accept that any major redesigns are not realistically going to happen at this stage. Any additional rear seat storage / cup holder solutions are likely going to be "add ons" to the car as we now see it, at least until such time down the road as Tesla does a major redesign of interior ergonomics.

I have been wondering whether there are any relatively simple "add on" solutions to the car-as-it-is which would provide storage and beverage holders for rear seat passengers, appear well integrated into the car and retain all 3 passenger seats. It occurs to me that back-of-front-seat tight mesh storage pockets would come close to meeting that specification. They would appear perfectly integrated into the car if affixed to the existing plastic backs with concealed screws or hardware. No passenger seat would be lost. An amount of storage about equal to door pockets would become available. Closed top beverage containers could be accommodated (though not open top containers or paper cups). If unused the tight mesh pockets would sit flush with the back of the front seats and be aesthetically pleasing.

As an example, here are a couple pictures of the Infiniti G37 back-of-front-seat storage pockets. Like Model S, this car does not have door pockets and the back of the front seats is black plastic while the rest of the seats are leather.

Infiniti G37 seat pocket.jpg

Infiniti G37 seat pocket with watter bottle.jpg

This type of solution to rear seat storage / beverage holders might meet the needs of many people and be preferable to some in lieu of or in addition to the "Rear Console" option we have been given to comment on. Such pockets can be added to the the existing car relatively simply, appear perfectly integrated, provide storage about equal to door pockets, serve as closed-top beverage holders, do not lose a passenger seat and are low cost. I'm curious what others think about the idea. I will post a poll about it as a separate thread so Tesla can gauge the forum's consensus at a glance.

Last edited:
As an example, here are a couple pictures of the Infiniti G37 back-of-front-seat storage pockets. Like Model S, this car does not have door pockets and the back of the front seats is black plastic while the rest of the seats are leather.

View attachment 8544

U - G - L - Y

Infiniti ain't got no alibi. Them's ugly and are not worthy of inclusion in a car with any semblance of luxury or premium.

smorgasbord, thanks for your comments. It's interesting that what looks good to one may not look good to another. In person the back-of-front-seat pockets on the Infiniti look very sharp IMO. The pictures I posted do not do them justice. I just happened to be in an Infiniti the other day so posted those pics as an example of concept.