Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if instead of mesh, they were leather? That might satisfy some who don't like the appearance of that much plastic as well as those wanting storage in the back.

I agree leather would be more appropriate. I think mesh pockets may look a bit cheap in the mid-sized class (although plenty of premium compact sedans have them). But it's a relatively simple solution to address the concerns about rear storage.

Last edited:
MikeK, Here's a photo of a group of standard 3" diameter water bottles. A standard 3" diameter water bottle fits in holders on bicycles, back packs and all regular car cup holders I have ever seen. I brought an approximately 3.5" diameter Aquafina water bottle on my test drive and it was too large for the current cup holders. The bottled water purchased in stores comes in plastic bottles of varying diameters, many around 3" but also many larger and a few smaller. I've measured them in the supermarket water aisle since following this thread. The ones you buy to refill yourself like in the photo most commonly have a standard 3" diameter, at least in my experience.

View attachment 8225

Please see my response in this post in another thread.

+1 brianman

I just did a 2 week RV'g trip through CO, WY, MT & SD. The late model RV we rented did not have vanity mirrors or any cup holders in the rear. There was hardly a center console either. The horror...but we do need options.

I think they may have put that on the back burner for now as manufacturing and delivering 5,000 cars by year end seems to be the top priority right now.

The people working on designing any updated console are not the ones working on the assembly line or assuring that the ramp up occurs with manufacturing and delivery. Like any company there are a lot of independent parts.

Folks 1st post, long time reservation holder. I have been to the factory for a 'ride' event but have not had a chance to test drive yet.

Awesome vehicle - matter of fact unbelievable!

However - the interior storage space, is a joke. I was buying a luxury sedan, not a sports car. I expect to have luxury features, or at least what any middle level sedan would have.

1) Center Console - fine you want open space, then make it removable, but for most of us we want hidden storage and real cup holders.
2) Cup Holders - way underneath below the 17" screen - that is asking for an accident by reaching down there. Other spot under your arm rest - come on - who thinks like this? There should be a simple push out set of cup holders right below the dashboard screen. This way when not in use they are retracted. This really needs to get solved.
3) Storage Cubbies on the doors - who does not have this? Sports Cars ? But all luxury cars do. This is another must have. I do not think the interior engineers were thinking.
4) Skirt pockets on the back of front seats - ok - not a must but nice to have. Drop a book or iPad in there when not in use. Since there was no storage anywhere else I thought this would be there.
5) Back Seat - cup holders - saw the proposed solution. Since we are talking 'Luxury' Sedan this should be included. I am ok with the removable one, not perfect but definitely solves the issue.

I know all this may sound petty, but really, this is standard equipment on any $20K car. This was a chance to redesign the interior, to do something unique, and I agree where someone said 'Fail'.

I am done, I hope they solve this before my numbers up, as I am going to struggle with this decision, which of course is ridiculous however I am just asking for the basics.
3)

It seems pretty clear that the non-essential interior features were the last thing on Tesla's long list of stuff to design (that's what happens when you build a car from the ground up - so glad they didn't neglect things like the power train and the brakes). So things like consoles, cupholders and other elements of the interior never got enough attention in the rush to bring the car to market (anyone notice there's not a single interior shot in the Model S gallery?). Even after the October 1 event when people complained about these things, Tesla still had other more critical things to work on.

I think it's pure genius that George Blankenship headed off all the negativity at the pass by saying (paraphrasing) "we've got a console - but we need your feedback - this is your opportunity to help design it." So everyone is focused on "helping" rather than "badmouthing." Bottom line is Tesla right now has a blank sheet of paper and they might not have something for Model S owners for 6-12 months - which is probably good enough for most people.

I think one thing to realize is that Tesla is working with some "limitations" that other automakers don't face. (1) They've got that massive screen which encompasses almost all the controls of the car. It's already probably a little bit too low on the bottom for reaching down to change the temperature etc (which is why they are raising the screen up in the Model X). So there's nowhere to put any cupholders in the center stack without blocking the screen - that's why you see cupholders appearing on the floor - which is way too low. (2) they've got that massive panoramic roof which they must design for - so there's no place to put sunglass holders etc up by the windshield. (3) They've decided to highlight the fact that there is no transmission tunnel by not having a traditional center console (along with the fact there is no shifter or parking brake) - so there's no place to put cupholders between the front of the seats and the dashboard.

So here's my "worst to first" suggestion for how Tesla can take the lead in interior storage space, cupholders, et cetera. Probably going to have to wait for Model S 1.5.

The only vehicles on the road today (I know of) without transmission tunnels and traditional center consoles are minivans. Beneath the screen there should be three storage compartments stacked down to the ground. One should be a shelf - with two USB ports / power outlets, another should be a shelf with a front "door" that lifts up like a garage door (thinking about my old Honda here) and the bottom one should be a drawer that slides out. Keep the "fences" that corral the space from the dash console to the seats for purses and other large loose objects. The console that is between the seats should do only three things (1) it should function as an armrest (like it does currently) (2) it should supply A/C to the rear seats and (3) it should open up to be a small refrigerator! - this is something you don't find on most sedans and something that should be easy enough to accomplish given this massive power supply you have in the form of the battery. [Note that minivans put their cupholders between the seats and then they attach armrests to the seats themselves which is not as nice or as functional as traditional armrests.]

But what about the cupholders? That is the best part. I think they need to design cupholders that work very similarly to the door handles. Have metal ring-style cupholders that come out when you push them (motorized?). Then allow the driver to select heating or cooling and the metal will heat or cool your beverage for you. You can even give metal thermal Tesla logo-ed travel mugs. You don't want cupholders in the doors and for the driver you can't put them between the steering wheel and the center stack. But I think they would fit by the A-pillars on each side of the dashboard. They also can extend from the console between the seats to serve the rear passengers.

Put some map pockets in the doors and some pockets on the back of the front seats and call it a day. The refrigerator and heating/cooling metal cupholders make Tesla a winner in interior functionality.

Two Thumbs up!!!!

I for one appreciate being able to put my backpack or satchel right in the middle where the transmission tunnel normally would be. Right now I usually put it behind the driver's seat in my sedan... it involves opening the rear door. The S allows me to slip into the car and set my bag down in one motion. No doubt the ladies will appreciate it as well - having a special place for their purse. Alternatively you can put it in the passenger seat but only when nobody is sitting next to you. Also it tends to slide around on the seat if you're driving fast.

I for one appreciate being able to put my backpack or satchel right in the middle where the transmission tunnel normally would be. Right now I usually put it behind the driver's seat in my sedan... it involves opening the rear door. The S allows me to slip into the car and set my bag down in one motion. No doubt the ladies will appreciate it as well - having a special place for their purse. Alternatively you can put it in the passenger seat but only when nobody is sitting next to you. Also it tends to slide around on the seat if you're driving fast.
Well, no offense, but if you're driving fast enough for it to be sliding around in the seat, I'd be a bit concerned that it would slide out of the center space and right under your feet as there is little to hold it in place there...now it's not just annoying, but potentially dangerous as it could keep you from depressing the brake pedal, or could interfere with the accelerator.