Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opt out of FSD Beta to start getting updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
I’ve been stuck on 2022.45.15 for a while now as that is supposedly the latest for FSD beta.

FSD beta is entertaining for sure but that’s about it. I’ve seen a few updates I’d like to get.

If I just change it from FSD beta to Auto Pilot Beta that’s all I need to do, right?

I switched it a few days ago and still nuttin.

Is there anything else I need to do?

My car is a Model S LR Refresh 2022.

You need to contact [email protected] or [email protected] and ask to be removed from the Beta. Not using it doesn’t remove you. Once they remove you, you’ll start getting updates.
And it can take weeks or months to get removed. They don’t even reply to the email request. A black hole. I went through this process a year ago. What a joke.

And they are close to making the FSD beta the same normal version for your car in a unified update. As always with Tesla, this has taken longer to implement than it should. I don't think opting out will be very much advantage at this point.

And they are close to making the FSD beta the same normal version for your car in a unified update. As always with Tesla, this has taken longer to implement than it should. I don't think opting out will be very much advantage at this point.
Well thought the big release around Xmas was the unified release. Then I’ve been stuck on this version it seems like for months only to find out it’s because of FSD Beta.

Maybe I wait out more round and see what happens. I don’t mind using the Beta. It’s just that I think some the new updates have more value.

Well, they are running a bit late.... 😄
What happens if I cancel the monthly subscription? Won’t that process then force me onto the mainline firmware and get rid of FSD beta?
Since FSD Beta will be in the mainstream update process, just another feature, there should not be any difference in the software you receive once the FSD is merged with the regular update process, and not a special update process. There are many parts of the software you receive now that are not "enabled" on your car. Will Tesla move your car back to the "old" software version before this merge is completed? Who can say.

What happens if I cancel the monthly subscription? Won’t that process then force me onto the mainline firmware and get rid of FSD beta?

Not necessarily. They can shut off the FSD feature with a bit-flip and don't necessarily have to redeploy firmware.

Now it MAY be possible to have updated firmware pushed IF you cancel the monthly sub. But no guarantees.

(I'm unfamiliar with the process since I have the perpetual FSD option ...)

Why do you think this?

Tesla has never indicated this.

It was assumed 2 years ago with the Holiday release and last year. They always line up releases for the Holiday version.

Assuming you believe Tesla is merging the FSD beta code with the Autopilot code that every Tesla receives, this means there will no longer be a separate FSD Beta release. All code will be within the same software release. This is not to say that there will no longer be separate software branches. The newest cars with new techology may need some special code to inplement the new features until they can be rolled into the "normal software distribution. Different models may also have occasional different versions of software, and other countries may require a toatlly different branch of software. Tesla is always trying to limit the numb er of these different branches of code. Currently , they are merging the FSD beta code with the other S model branches of software.

Assuming you believe Tesla is merging the FSD beta code with the Autopilot code that every Tesla receives, this means there will no longer be a separate FSD Beta release. All code will be within the same software release. This is not to say that there will no longer be separate software branches. The newest cars with new techology may need some special code to inplement the new features until they can be rolled into the "normal software distribution. Different models may also have occasional different versions of software, and other countries may require a toatlly different branch of software. Tesla is always trying to limit the numb er of these different branches of code. Currently , they are merging the FSD beta code with the other S model branches of software.
Eventually they will bring FSD Beta logic to AP...who knows how long, but it's likely Beta will always have their own code release until its closer to completion.

And it can take weeks or months to get removed. They don’t even reply to the email request. A black hole. I went through this process a year ago. What a joke.

Others have had better luck, so there’s no harm in trying.

I have tried this, several times in fact. Once they responded to my request to remove FSD beta from the vehicle with boilerplate type text talking about why I might need to wait to get into fsd beta (meaning they obviously did not read my request). The other 4 times they ignored my email.

I said a few times I never signed up for FSD Beta, its just that my car has FSD and the FSD beta came during christmas last year. I frankly didnt realize it was the FSD beta update or I wouldnt have installed it (I dont follow this subforum closely).

Now, I cant seem to get them to remove FSD beta.

Its probably hit or miss, but @jebinc you are not alone in being ignored for that request, and I cant figure out if there is something else I am supposed to do. This is for my 2018 model 3 that has "full FSD" (not a subscription). I just want the regular vehicle updates, and it sort of irritates me that I got put into FSD beta without requesting it (although I do have the advanced switch on software updates). I never equated the advanced switch with applying for FSD beta though, but perhaps thats what happened /shrug.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I have tried this, several times in fact. Once they responded to my request to remove FSD beta from the vehicle with boilerplate type text talking about why I might need to wait to get into fsd beta (meaning they obviously did not read my request). The other 4 times they ignored my email.

I said a few times I never signed up for FSD Beta, its just that my car has FSD and the FSD beta came during christmas last year. I frankly didnt realize it was the FSD beta update or I wouldnt have installed it (I dont follow this subforum closely).

Now, I cant seem to get them to remove FSD beta.

Its probably hit or miss, but @jebinc you are not alone in being ignored for that request, and I cant figure out if there is something else I am supposed to do. This is for my 2018 model 3 that has "full FSD" (not a subscription). I just want the regular vehicle updates, and it sort of irritates me that I got put into FSD beta without requesting it (although I do have the advanced switch on software updates). I never equated the advanced switch with applying for FSD beta though, but perhaps thats what happened /shrug.
I feel your pain!

One big hurdle is it is taking so long for Tesla to release FSD Beta updates. Current S models have one of the following "normal" updates:
2023.12 Branch
2023.6 Branch
2023.2 Branch

The new FSD Beta includes all of the Tesla features in update 2023.2 and 2023.6. FSD Beta is code level 2023.7.5. This means the 2023.12 branch would need to be downgraded for the code to merge with that branch. Right now, that is the only Branch that will not be on the same level code as everyone else. Of course, if it takes Tesla another month to actually release the 11.4.1 FSD Beta, there may be more branches exceeding the FSD implementation. This makes it hard to gather all the different normal branches to upgrade everyone with one update.

Has this happened to anyone else here? You shouldn’t have been put into FSD Beta without requesting it (using the button on the Controls > Autopilot screen). Setting Software Updates to Advanced shouldn’t matter. Any chance someone else who drives the car requested the Beta?