Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered an X. Declined FSD. Is this a mistake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As explained by the sales guy, this does nothing for now and is just a SW upgrade so we could to it later when/if the car is suddenly able to drive while I nap.

He also seriously oversold the self-driving capabilities ("it's capable of driving itself from NY to LA, that's just not legal yet").

Thoughts on declining this? It it really nothing but a SW option that can be added later? If FSD ends up requiring HW upgrades, am I passing on that by not taking the option now? Is Tesla really selling an option that does nothing at the time of sale?

I did not get order FSD because it currently does nothing and yes Tesla is selling a feature that doesn’t work at the moment. When will it work no one knows. There are some people who worry the price will increase if you upgrade later when FSD starts rolling out. Another concern is that if you already paid for it now and if the feature requires HW upgrade it will be done free of charge. None of these is confirmed so it’s all up to you what you want to do.

For me I might have gotten a new car already when FSD comes out. Ask the folks who leased the car with the option since late 2016. They are half way through the lease already.

...He also seriously oversold the self-driving capabilities ("it's capable of driving itself from NY to LA, that's just not legal yet")...

Definitely overselling its capability especially, when there was a recent 3/23/2018 Autopilot fatality that uses the same hardware.

The reasons that I paid for it even when it is incapable of self-driving for now:

1) willing to financially support its development
2) wanting to be an early adopter to grow with its incremental improvements
3) Locking in the price. If current hardware can't do the job, Tesla will upgrade your hardware to achieve that capability at no additional cost.

Wise decision.

I've never seen a justifiable reason for getting it. Heck even my own reason why I'd get it isn't something I'd consider a true justification.

That reason is to have leverage.

There is nothing about EAP that the car can't do assuming regulations allow for automatic lane changes. So there is no leverage in that except maybe the "every car sold is capable of full self driving".

FSD is basically Tesla's pimple.

Not getting it is a way to avoid the pimple, but at the same time you're missing out on the drama.

The recent fatalities have nailed the coffin that is FSD on AP2.

I purchased FSD for the two usual reasons. To finance it and to get any features that are supposed to be coming before full self driving. Elon has said multiple times that features that differentiate FSD from EAP are coming soon (yeah, we know this was a year ago :D). But my point is you have to stop thinking FSD is ‘the car drives itself’. There are other features above EAP that are supposed to happen along the way to Level 5.

Also, there was the promise to upgrade hardware for people who had purchased FSD already if a computer hardware upgrade was needed for actual full self driving down the road. No one knows if this will happen or if you can purchase FSD after the fact (the software) and get this.

Things to think about. But, yes, right now the software option FSD does nothing for you except to say you have it. :D

To answer the other question; FSD like EAP is all software, you pay money, they send a command to the car and it’s enabled.

Another concern is that if you already paid for it now and if the feature requires HW upgrade it will be done free of charge. None of these is confirmed so it’s all up to you what you want to do.

Tesla has, indeed, confirmed that point on the record to Electrek. Whether you believe them or not is open for question, but that's the official line.

Tesla has, indeed, confirmed that point on the record to Electrek. Whether you believe them or not is open for question, but that's the official line.
Should’ve been more cleared. Confirmed as in actually happening in Tesla world. Their statements mean nothing to me any more. They can even modify their website to remove any mentioning of private road summon for AP1.

They also had official statement that EAP would reach parity with AP1 back in 2016. We all know where that went.

Reactions: jgs and croman
As explained by the sales guy, this does nothing for now and is just a SW upgrade so we could to it later when/if the car is suddenly able to drive while I nap.

He also seriously oversold the self-driving capabilities ("it's capable of driving itself from NY to LA, that's just not legal yet").

Thoughts on declining this? It it really nothing but a SW option that can be added later? If FSD ends up requiring HW upgrades, am I passing on that by not taking the option now? Is Tesla really selling an option that does nothing at the time of sale?

Nope. You saved yourself $3k.
People who paid Tesla $3,000 for full self-driving might be out of luck

I think FSD is further away than some people think. EAP is still far from perfect, but at least usable for some driving. I wouldn't even consider paying for FSD at this non-existent stage and very much doubt it will be available in the next 4 years while I own my current X. If it comes during that time and looks good and is actually legal in the UK then I might consider it on my next car. Until then I'm happy with EAP which is showing good signs of improvement lately.

Reactions: PrGrPa