Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered my Model X but having second thoughts??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I few days ago I ordered a 90D Model X so I am still in the 7 day grace period to modify or cancel. After reading consumer reports and joining this forum I am wondering if I am making the right decision. I am most worried about the Quality Issues that seem to be plaguing the Model X, the noise issues, and the windshield ghosting many are discussing. Does anyone regret their purchase because of all these issues. Just trying to make a good decision....

Picked up my 90D a couple days before Christmas. My car is perfect.
I took a 1200 mile roadtrip over last weekend. It was the best experience that we ever had on this trip. We did destroy a tire in South Carolina.
Tesla Roadside assistance did a great job getting us towed to a tire store go get us bs k on the road. Total miles to date 2500.
Don't miss this opportunity.

Reactions: disagree
I had an S for three years, then moved on to theX. Absolutely love it!
I have the ghosting, but I hardly notice it, not an issue.
The car is really comfortable and I love driving it. My wife loves it also - she just started a job where she has a short commute and uses our Mercedes ICE - she complains every evening that she wishes she was driving the X

Plugging the hitch into the car. Took my SC guys about 30 min to figure it out and then show me how to do it at delivery. Had many hitches, none that unlock then unplug at a 90 degree angle underneath. Then you put a cover over it. It's nice, just a bit complicated.

It's the same basic design as this one, which I got for my BMW 328i a while back. It was pretty awesome.

I had some serious concerns reading these forums about the Model X I ordered in November. I took delivery 12/28/2016. I am blown away by the quality of the car. I am not experiencing any of the issues that people said. I used the checklist and went over my car with a fine toothed comb. Wow, just amazing. My wife tries to have me drive her everywhere.
In fact, my wife likes it so much, she ordered the Model S. I kind of wonder if she is planning on driving the Model X all the time and having me drive the Model S. She hates new things, but she sure loves the Model X.

Took delivery at Christmas. My only issue is the ghosting which I am just avoiding by driving my wife's car at night. I would say do it, but tell them you want to take delivery when the EAP is ready, or just don't opt for it and buy it later.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. Did some additional test driving and happy to report my order goes in today and looking forward to getting my X in March or sooner!

Congratulations! You'll have no regrets. My wife was really worried about the Consumer Reports review as well. Ghosting at least in my car seems very mild, doesn't bother me at all. We have a family of 4 so this is the perfect car for us and I guess we were looking for different things than CR was. Unlike the CR review I find the doors fantastic. Sure, minivan sliding doors would have worked just fine but being able to stand up fully to put our kids in the car seats is a blessing. And the doors open/close faster than my friend's Odyssey. We only have the 60d but it's fast, plenty of range in southern California... there are some small issues to address at the service center but the positives greatly outweigh any negatives in our opinion. Wife loves it.

Reactions: JSZimmerman
Dude don't read in to the issues too much. Yes it may have issues but other cars like BMW or Mercedes do too. Also historically if you have issues you're more likely to write, post, complain about it than if you don't. Just think about how often you go online and brag about your car, phone, etc when it's working perfectly.

I just had mine for a full week and love it. I've found some issues but nothing that makes me regret it. So far it's been minor stuff that the service center should be able to fix up. Not everyone will share my feelings on this but that's the way I look at it

+1 on overnight testdrives. It takes some time to get to know the car. I test-drove this weekend and am very torn at the moment. Leaning towards keeping my S for now. Wish I felt different!
Looks like you had an X on order previously and then cancelled. What caused that?
I love my S.....and everything about it. If I had to pick only one, no question it would be the S.
Very personal opinion of course, but there it is.

Looks like you had an X on order previously and then cancelled. What caused that?

Back in march I cancelled because the car they brought to the preview show here in Oslo seemed unfinished. So I decided to wait a year or two.

The test-drive I had this weekend made me aware of a couple of things I hadn`t thought about, in addition to showing me that some flaws weren’t fixed yet.
Most important is the way the car feels to drive. The Model S is way better to drive, and it`s more quiet. If the car had been just as quiet as the S, and closer to the driving dynamics of the S, I think I would`ve placed an order. Also, the falcon doors still have several issues. My test vehicle had occasional sensor issues, creaked when opening/closing and had started to wear off paint on some parts of the car where they rub against the paint (have pictures). Too often I read about doors not opening, doors not closing, doors misaligned, sensor trouble, mechanism trouble/noises etc. Waiting for revised doors….

I so dearly want the X to be the vehicle for us as it`s perfect for getting kids in/out of the car and I love so many things about it. But when you test-drive a car you should walk away feeling “This is better than my car, I would prefer this car over the one I have”. Especially in this price range. But I`m just not feeling it :(

Btw: I made a long list of pros/cons/mehs. Not posting to keep this post from turning into a novel.