Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of curiosity, what do you hate about your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my P100D but:

- The wipers are not to a luxury car standard - mine are noisy and I am going through blades at a rate of knots.
- The passenger wing mirror does not fully open
- the connection with the car is lost too often
- regenerative braking does not work when the batteries are cold - can be dangerous as you get used to relying on it
- it needs a camera on the front bumper and perhaps on the wing mirrors for parking in really tight spaces (which are frequent given the size of the car)
- the 21inch alloys are impossible not to kerb
- no where to hang my suit jacket
- the rear window steams up when air con turned off so always have to turn it on
- the app is poor - why can we not turn on half the stuff (heated seats/steering wheel/rear de-icer from the app?)

Will be taking this list in to SC when I have my first service!

I love the car in almost every respect: the Model S is without a doubt the best car I have driven in all my 36 years of driving!

However: the sound system is very unstable, and sometimes stops working for days at a time - even the turn signals make no sound when the sound system is on the blink. At the SC they just say that there are currently issues with the servers and that things will fix themselves soon. They always do, so this is clearly something that will never be properly fixed, which makes me frustrated and disappointed. To me it feels like having a dependency between the turn signals and an external server was not the best way to design things, putting it mildly.

That is the closest thing to "hate" that I have about an aspect of the car. The other negative thing is more comical: in order to switch the car off while still inside it, you must open the driver's door and lift your butt off the seat. It would be so simple to add an "off" button on the touch screen, or have a symmetrical action using the brake pedal (e.g. double tap the brake when in park). But hey, it's quirky, and uniquely Tesla, so I'm guessing we'll have to live with that one too.

My X was a nine month nightmare. 1) The excessively deep windshield made it a greenhouse/hothouse that caused the AC to blast unsuccessfully, creating cold drafts and still overheated seating areas. 2). The middle row seat requires locking in the rear-most position, so my toddler grandchildren were very uncomfortable in the third row; no adults there at all. 3) The main screen froze every couple of weeks such that I had to leave vehicle at dealer as they replaced it entirely. 4) I bought the extended range option to get 230 miles between charges—-I was told by salesman—then on delivery in Dedham MA I was emphatically told not to charge beyond 80% or I would damage batteries. 5) Final straw of betrayal by Tesla: when I tried to get Tesla to repurchase it after 9 months so I could buy a conventional vehicle with sufficient range, the dealer and company rep said they no longer honored their promise because .the corporation was short of capital”. I sold my $120,000 nearly new vehicle to a BMW dealer for only $80,000 and was lucky to get that. My other offers were $65,000 with dealers saying if Tesla won’t buy it with so many faults, why should I risk it? In sort, a car built by engineers with to little design experience, sold with false promises, and not backed up. Never again.

I just bought new Goodyear tires that evidently have some kind of foam on the inside of the tires and the difference from the Michelin Primus tires is amazing - much more quiet.
which goodyear tires? I'm due for a set. My Michelin OEM tires now have 36,000 miles on them. Service center guys recommended replacing them at 25,000. I said I still have tread depth left, and I'm going to use that tread depth, and be aware that my stopping distance will be longer.

Love the car, not much to hate, but . . .
- I don't bother using the navigation. My phone apps are all much better.
- the absence of a rear clothes hook/hanger. Such a small thing, and easy to add. Can't imagine what they were thinking when they left that out. Never seen a car without one, and the aftermarket gadgets don't cut it.

The Tesla is the last car I will ever own, simply due to its incredible technology and comfort. I am interested in what you don't like about it though?

Personally, I find it annoying that even with passive entry enabled, I am unable to tap any of the passenger handles to have only that one extend (i.e. Grabbing backpack out of passenger side and having to unlock the whole car)

Looking forward to your responses! Cheers.
I’m not a car guy. Never have been. I love flying airplanes, but I was never into cars......
Until I bought my S last month. I simple love it. I will never buy another Stone Age car again, but if I live long enough I plan on buying more Teslas. Will eventually replace all my Stone Agers with them.
I almost love driving my Tesla more than flying my plane. Never thought I would say that. EV is clearly the future. The legacy auto manufacturers better transition 100% soon, or else. Anyone remember Kodak? Or Timex?

ITS COLD!! I live in michigan. I have the heat on 80 ALL THE TIME in the winter and it is still not warm in the car. If I have the heat on 80 in my honda pilot, its like a sauna in there. The car is also VERY drafty. This is my second CPO model S and they are identical in regards to heat and draft.

The WIFI is always searching and can't be disabled manually permanently .. this screws up my app on updating when I warm the car up.

The unadjustable head rests.. which are addressed in the newer cars..

I had to buy a center console.. also addressed in the newer cars..

There was no cubby storage drawer... thanks EVANNEX . .

The window visors are very small.. too small for shorter drivers..

The seat belt pillar shoulder pivots are not adjustable. .a major design flaw..

The navigation is weak and I still don't have the go anywhere electric mapping...

They no longer offer nexgen leather

They no longer offer a solid roof.

The wipers are erratic, clunky and noisy and the blades seem inferior.

There are no entry assistance handles over the doors to aid in entry or exit.

Last edited:
Also not much to "hate". The service guys in Scottsdale and Tempe have been great, always helpful. We did have some dash vibrations, fixed by the service people. The only real annoyance is the floor mats- the stick-on velcro pads do not work in AZ- gets much too hot, and the glue simply lets go. I fixed the issue with mat clips from a Lexus- cost three dollars for front and back removable carpet clips. I upgraded the interior lights- I do not know why Tesla used "dim" lighting- the cost for LED lamps is really small.
Range- we have been in NM and CO at temperatures well below zero, and have not had issues with interior temperature control. Only a small reduction in range as would be expected. Overall, after nearly 4 years and 70000 miles, we have only "lost" about 9 miles in total range. Waiting for our Model 3 now.

I am in my fifth year with my 2013 MS60, and find very little to hate.

But I have some aggravations!

1. Getting in and out of the car is a real pain. Still.... I am 6 feet tall and in excellent health.
2. No grab handles near the doors.
3. Minimal integration with IPhone. Would love CarPlay.
4. Would much prefer Spotify to Tunein in the AV system.
5. No way to hang a coat or fresh laundry. Why can't we have a simple hook?
6. I love my frunk! I would consider trading up to a new Model S, but have to have my large frunk rather than the miniscule frunk on all current models.
7. Wish there were a battery upgrade strategy. I would buy a longer range battery were I buying today, and would like an upgrade strategy to get me greater range than my MS60 affords. But will keep what I have rather than losing the frunk.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
However: the sound system is very unstable, and sometimes stops working for days at a time - even the turn signals make no sound when the sound system is on the blink. At the SC they just say that there are currently issues with the servers and that things will fix themselves soon. They always do, so this is clearly something that will never be properly fixed, which makes me frustrated and disappointed. To me it feels like having a dependency between the turn signals and an external server was not the best way to design things, putting it mildly..

The turn signal sound is generated in the car, not a server back at Tesla. Reboot your center console to get the turn signal sound back. I suspect you have a hardware issue and in order to make sure they pay attention to you don't mention that the sound system is not working, just stress the turn signal and that you can get it back by rebooting the console (assuming it actually does resolve it).

Local AM/FM radio stations also have nothing to do with Tesla's servers. If they aren't working then the problem is local to the car.

What I HATE is that there is no way to report software issues where you don't feel like you are sending the info into a black hole. I hate new easter eggs when real issues are not being addressed.

I love my P100D but:

- The wipers are not to a luxury car standard - mine are noisy and I am going through blades at a rate of knots.
- The passenger wing mirror does not fully open
- the connection with the car is lost too often
- regenerative braking does not work when the batteries are cold - can be dangerous as you get used to relying on it
- it needs a camera on the front bumper and perhaps on the wing mirrors for parking in really tight spaces (which are frequent given the size of the car)
- the 21inch alloys are impossible not to kerb
- no where to hang my suit jacket
- the rear window steams up when air con turned off so always have to turn it on
- the app is poor - why can we not turn on half the stuff (heated seats/steering wheel/rear de-icer from the app?)

Will be taking this list in to SC when I have my first service!

A quick squirt of WD40 into the door mirror pivot point fixed the mirror sticking issues on my Model S. Both started sticking frequently and the service folks told me it was a firmware issue. It wasn't. It just needed a little lubrication. Door handles too. One application of WD40 and I have had no more problems in 9 months.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J