Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of curiosity, what do you hate about your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are 2 things I really hate and one is already fixed. 1) 3G meant constant “loading error” messages while streaming music, but I got the LTE upgrade and now get nearly instant loading of the next song.
2) This one is really my own fault: I keep scratching up the wheels (21”) on the right side. My previous car was an Audi TT, much narrower, and after almost a year I’m still not entirely used to how wide the Model S is. (The TT also had low-profile tires, but I only scratched them once and never had a problem again.) It’s a 2012, so no fancy features to tell me I’m too close to a curb, darn it. From what I’ve read, a retrofit would be ridiculously pricy if it’s even possible. Haven’t found a good aftermarket product either, and they all seem to be focused on the front and back of the car, not the sides.

Minor annoyances:
- Rain sensing wipers are really inconsistent - sometimes run constantly when it’s barely raining, sometimes hardly run at all when it’s raining a bit harder.
- The visors - no extension to block sun when it’s in the center and no lighting on the mirrors. Hell, my friend’s much cheaper Mazda has both.

1) There are things about the brand and the company that I find uncomfortable (P85D HP, P90DL performance and counters, AP2/EAP story, DC charge throttling, Alcantara PR spin etc.). The car itself is great, though.

2) The California car aspect shows in winter conditions. It is not really a winter car in the small things that matter a lot like windows/doors, charge ports, mirrors freezing abnormally much and poor or hard to reach controls for heating and window blowers. (Not talking of drivetrain, which is great.)

3) Interior comforts and features are not on par with what can be expected of a car of this size and class. Think of 360 degree parking views, massage seats, rear amenities, and the like.

These things are offset by positives:

What is especially great is the success in creating such a magnificent drivetrain. I also like the software updateable nature of it all. And note Tesla's lead on charging networks as well.

Overall I like the car a lot.
What do you not like about P85D?? I'm about to buy one (my first Tesla!!)

After 3.5 months, I can't say I hate anything. I love driving the car and like the Nissan advertisement, I make excuses to pick up things at the store. BUT, I agree with many posters on these points:
1. The console supplied radio stations like Tune-in need to work better avoiding continual buffering.

2. The phone dock is useless. It is out of sight, and if someone wanted to stream their favorite music station from the phone into the car it's really hard to change stations without someone else in the car assisting.

Also,
- Google maps is not 100% accurate in terms of speed limits and sometimes even roads. I find WAZE much more accurate in addition to it providing much more information on what's happening on the road ahead. When you do find something that's not right, they have a very user-friendly website to report issues. Tesla, if this is not technically impossible, should allow the user to select the GPS provider (anyway, Google owns Waze).

- The other day I had to unstrap my seatbelt while I was driving about 45 miles an hour with adaptive cruise control on in order to get to my wallet and was surprised to see Tesla immediately slowing down to 40 miles an hour with a message posted on the display. I did not realize that would happen and as such I was quite surprised. I like the seatbelt but sometimes they are just a little too tight and restrictive in order to get stuff out of your pockets when needed.. I know, this is a very minor issue.

- Voice control is minimal. I was happy to read that the Tesla model 3 will get an enhanced voice control. I assume that will come to the models 75 – 100 as well.

Can't hate this car at all. My X P100D is just awesome.

Gripes I do have:
1. Bluetooth issues in general - phone won't drop connection after a call and car radio doesn't come back on. I sometimes have to actually make another call and then END so the radio will resume. (Apple iPhone 7s Plus)
2. Phone is connected via BT but the audio won't work. Volume is up, phone says it's on Tesla, but no audio heard on either end. Have to resort to phone's speaker/hands free.
3. 8 Cameras and no way to use them! Not fair. Parking in a garage would be so much easier if a camera would show front area (like Audi, Mercedes, etc) when needed. Also, we should be able to download the camera footage recorded from the day ourselves and not be limited to what Tesla says we can have (with a court order I presume).
4. Model X gull-wing doors, when opening while it's raining, dump all the water that was sitting on the roof right onto the leather seats below along the centerline. VERY annoying - and shocking to the passengers.
5. Audio sources need to have their own volume level saved when switching to different sources. XM radio (which I use the most) doesn't play at the same level as the FM or USB, etc. Switching back to XM can be VERY loud until I get the volume turned down.
6. Mute needs to stay muted until I control otherwise - opening doors, and other actions unmute the radio - not cool
7. Rain-sensing wipers (beta) seems to be working fairly well. A few quirks yet to resolve...
8. Auto High-Beams don't switch to High Beam easily and often stay low when not necessary.
9. Really wish the audio system had an app to control it so that kids in the backseat can select the song(s) they want to hear without asking me to do that each time. I installed a nifty Logitech trackball with a USB receiver into the console USB socket and that lets them move the "cursor" (actually a large fuzzy blue ball) around on the screen - but they can control EVERYTHING with that trackball and sometimes that's just too much to have to monitor.
10. Wish there was a coat hook but I know there are after-market devices, some rather cool actually, that solve this problem, so it's not that big a deal for me.
11. Wish there was a USB port on the dash to left of steering wheel. I don't want phone so low in the car = antenna signal strength affected and display impossible to read. Phone calls coming in don't always display ALL of the caller ID on the center screen but do on the phone itself. I mounted one of those adhesive mounts on the dash, left of the wheel, right next to door pull. Easy to grab phone when opening the door to exit! Magnet mount on back of phone works great and it only cost $9... no brainer. HOWEVER... charging cord has to drape over the steering wheel column and that's just annoying. A USB port on left would be awesome.
12. Dash "glove box" needs to be digitally lockable separate from the Valet mode. I don't want kids, etc, going through glove box dropping important things on the floor that get lost in acceleration. I should be able to just hold down the open button for an extended time and enter a PIN to lock it, thus requiring PIN each subsequent time to open. (With a toggle on/off ability).
13. Ventilated seats do work, but cabin has to be COLD for them to really help. Wish they were AC instead of just vented like Ford and GM high-line vehicles have.
14. Model X front windshield pillars are TOO LARGE and have actually prevented me from seeing traffic coming from certain angles. I have had two near-misses because I just couldn't see the other vehicle blocked by the pillars. I'm 6' and sit with the seat fairly high for best visibility and still this is an issue.
15. Would be REALLY nice if 12 VDC was available for windshield mounted devices like my Valentine One radar detector (don't leave home without one!). Truly hate the annoying cord coming down the dash to be plugged into the only 12V cig adapter in the car.
16. When sitting with the car parked, waiting for someone, I usually have my center screen on other pages besides Controls / Doors. So when they return to the car and I want to open the door for them it would be REALLY nice if some other button was always displayed somewhere that would not be so time consuming to access to open the door. So if the car is in park add a few extra buttons at the bottom of the screen (near AC controls for instance) to instantly open any of the doors or trunk.
17. Not sure why others complain so much about NAV system. Mine works great and, by the way, WAZE is owned by Google and the traffic data is displayed in colored lines right on the map (when zoomed to an appropriate scale). Love this feature and haven't used WAZE in a while (although still do when making long trips to be made aware of "other" Waze info like police, accidents, etc.).
18. Body panel fit and finish is not what it should be for a $175k car. Gap between panels, slight mis-alignment of doors (so when closed they don't quite fit flush to the other panels), etc.
19. Truly wish we could configure how we want doors to open from the key fob, perhaps two choices. One for driver and passenger, and one for all 4 passenger doors. Remotely opening each one is time consuming from the fob. Nice if this was on the phone app.
20. Speaking of phone app: Need remote steering wheel and seat heat activation, need remote acceptance of software update with immediate or timed installation, need nav destination input as selected from a phone contact's address (yes, I use the calendar Location field, but not everything is calendared), and need to be able to actually open the doors, not just unlock them (as described in 19 above).
21. The Speed Limit knowledge in the UI is just wrong on so many streets. Posted speeds of 45 mph but dash says 30 mph - that sucks! Can we post a bug on speed limits via the tool for doing so (voice command)?
22. Why can't we have a keypad for entering XM channels? Finding a sports game or hitting a non-programmed channel is a nightmare, especially while driving. Worse than making a phone call as you have to LOOK at the screen to make sure you are actually touching the arrow to change the channel up or down. Getting to CNBC (112) literally took over a hundred presses to finally get to and then favorite. Stupid stupid stupid. And the entire UI for the audio system is the WORST I've ever seen on ANY high-end vehicle in 20 years. I don't stream music (kids do) but I bounce around news and sports all the time. Don't listen to FM ever, glad to see AM gone. But I'm an XM fanatic and need better control. Categories don't work, never have, so the kid's streaming favorites are all mixed in with my favorites too. No superior tech / UI found here.

I'm an engineer and truly appreciate all the stuff Tesla DID do right, but the above 22 items are a day to day annoyance. I agree with others, loose the engineering time for easter eggs and such - solve the real problems the car STILL exhibits years after launch.

2) The California car aspect shows in winter conditions. It is not really a winter car in the small things that matter a lot like windows/doors, charge ports, mirrors freezing abnormally much and poor or hard to reach controls for heating and window blowers. (Not talking of drivetrain, which is great.)

Indeed, I wish Tesla had part of it's design team located North of the 45th parallel (and not on the West coast).

The phenomenal place to fill up the windshield washer fluids, cold air entering from I don't know where when it's below -10C (so more heating required, decreasing range), windows freezing in place when going below freezing point when it's wet (hence windows not lowering when opening the doors, and precautions to avoid slamming the windows on the frame when closing the doors), various charge port problems when it's frozen, the rain sensor not detecting when you receive smudge only in the lower part of the windshield on salted roads and have to constantly operate the wipers manually, what else? Surely that doesn't happen in San Diego. :)

But I wouldn't change the car for anything, except maybe a new one, when prices drop a bit eventually.

Hate to tell you this, but WD40 is NOT a lubricant. It is a moisture repellant. DO NOT USE WD40 to lube anything. Use T9 or other silicon or teflon spray. Your application of WD40 might have "fixed" your problem, but it didn't lube anything. FYI
WD40.com disagrees with you:

A QUESTION OF LUBRICATION
Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

Reactions: brkaus
I have two annoyances - probably well below "hate":
  1. Opening the rear deck on my 2013 MS to grab something out as soon as it is open far enough, then press the button to close it again and it "yells at me" - specifically, 3 beeps - and then doesn't close. Learning, I wait until it finishes opening - still scolds me. Learning, I wait 2-3 seconds after it finishes before pressing the button and it quietly complies, but I have had to wait around an extra 5 seconds when I am trying to go someplace. First off, why beep at me in the first place - would it somehow be dangerous for the lid to stop opening and close again? Does it think I pressed this button moving away from me by accident? Is there some ambiguity it what I might want it to do? Please, be a smart car. Understand I want to close the lid again. If you have to open all the way and then wait 2 seconds before closing, do so, but don't make me stand there waiting on you.
  2. Planning to take a longer than usual drive tomorrow, I adjust my charging level to MAX. Next day, I do my drive, return low on charge, plug in and charge. The next day, I am scolded that "Repeatedly charging to MAX will shorten battery life". Again, please be a smart car and give me the option to set a "One shot MAX" charge, that returns to norm charging level after one full charge. There is no need to set me up for failure and then scold me for it.
Yes, I see my pattern - I don't like machines telling me I did something wrong. Yes, I do believe that Robots will take over someday. That's why I always say "Please" when asking Alexa to do something for me.

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J and fsch
WD40.com disagrees with you:

A QUESTION OF LUBRICATION
Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

I would expect them to say that... ANY respectable mechanic would disagree with them. Experience beats advertising anytime.

1) Battery decay and mis-representation of range. I've had two BMW i3's. I drove the 2014 for 3yrs and there was 0% battery decay. Range was the same after 25,000 miles as it was when new, 80 miles. My 2017 i3 is now about nine months old. The range, even this winter (OK, winter in CA means it's 50F) and with mostly freeway driving, is consistently 120-130, compared with advertised range of 114. And I charge to 100% every night.

By comparison my 2016 MS started at a rated range of 294 and after 20,000 is 274 with a 100% charge. But more damning is that that range can essentially never be achieved. I've documented on long trips to isolate out the vampire, etc., that I lose 1 rated mile for every 270Wh of energy while real world consumption is about 300wh/mi on long trips. So my real world range is about 90% of the 274, or 246mi. Bottom line is that the advertised range was 294 and the real world range is 246, and declining every month.

Both cars are 100% BEV. Clearly there are some differences in both the engineering and the marketing. Tesla is simply not an honest company.

2) The entire suite of applications is very poor by smartphone standards. The browser is a joke, navigation is limited and inaccurate (and still in "beta" after 2yrs), the media player is simply awful, the energy app is inaccurate and capricious, the phone app reminds me of a 20yr old flip phone, etc. etc. None of these apps would sell for $1 in the Apple or Android app store.

3) The back seats are not comfortable for anyone over 5' 5".

4) The company has established a culture of over promise and under deliver. This will kill the company in the long run. Today, and until there is a viable third party high power charging network, Tesla has no competition. Within 3-4 yrs there will be viable competition, and third party charging network. 90% of what I like about the MS is because it's an electric car, not because it's a Tesla; they are attributes of any electric car.

In 3-4 yrs Tesla's culture will be the same as it is today because it starts at the top with Elon. Great entrepreneur and visionary, horrible CEO. He will promise Mars next month and deliver the moon next year. Tesla is destined to be a footnote in the transition from ICE to electric unless they change the culture.

Hate that the radio keeps turning on (unmuting) after I turn it off (mute). Open the door..radio comes on. Hang up a phone call...radio comes on. I want it OFF and to stay OFF until I turn it on explicitly.

Automatically turning back on the sound system is worse when you are listening to a podcast. I almost always have something in the backseat, and I pause the podcast, but it turns back on when I open the back door. I end up having to dig out my phone and go back a minute or so next time I listen.

I also wish all the door handles wouldn’t pop when I just need something from the backseat or trunk. It makes me wonder how many uses the motors have.

I’d prefer to open up all doors when driver gets to their door, and turn on the sound system when the driver is seated.

Last thought, I could be doing something wrong, but my windows seriously fog up in winter. I then have to turn on the defrost which blasts the whole car with heat. My battery usage on these super cold days is stunningly high. I have never had to do anything for my windows on other recent cars, which makes me wonder if I’m not selecting something correctly. I have cleaned the windows but I haven’t seen a lessening of the fog. This is the scariest element to the car for me in that all the sudden I’ll realize I can’t see through the windows that well, and the other day when it happened I didn’t have a lot of juice left.:eek:

I still love my car, even with its faults.

I would expect them to say that... ANY respectable mechanic would disagree with them. Experience beats advertising anytime.

And neither beats facts.

Mass spectroscopy of WD-40 indicates that the principal components include alkanes (carbon chains) 9 to 14 carbon atoms in length (these are the hydrocarbons that lower the viscosity so that the resulting mixture can be aresolized as well as displace water), and mineral oil, the primary lubricant that is left behind after the hydrocarbons evaporate. (Reference).

Your experience may give you the opinion that the lubricating properties of WD-40 aren't what you desire or are not suitable for your particular task at hand. But to say that the substance isn't a lubricant is factually incorrect.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and Dr. J
Primary annoyance (no hatred here!) is range degradation in the HEAT, and the inability for the range indicator to take this into account. I happen to live in one of the hottest places in the country in the summer in Rancho Mirage, California. I will regularly be over 115 degrees for a month or so, and lose 30% or more of my range. A co-worker has a BMW i3 that is worse. His car actually shut down on the interstate TWICE when it was around 118 degrees. BMW recommended that he not drive it when temperatures are above 100, even though he purchased it here in the desert! I can live with the degradation, but don't understand why my X cannot take this into account when indicating range.

Reactions: Lu Ann
The Tesla is the last car I will ever own, simply due to its incredible technology and comfort. I am interested in what you don't like about it though?

Personally, I find it annoying that even with passive entry enabled, I am unable to tap any of the passenger handles to have only that one extend (i.e. Grabbing backpack out of passenger side and having to unlock the whole car)

Looking forward to your responses! Cheers.

I find ingress/egress to be a lot harder than it has to be. The low roofline is coupled with a very high step-over door sill, so the actual entry/exit portal is quite small. This is exacerbated by the slope of the roof to the door top. In the driver's seat, my head is above the top edge of the window. I have enough headroom, as long as I don't lean toward the door. This makes drive-through ATM machines nearly impossible to use.

The rear doors are rather small at the bottom, so there's often no much room to maneuver feet out to the ground. The back seat suffers from the same problem as the front. My 6'3" son complains about riding in the back seat for long.

I also feel like some of the spacing/ergonomics are odd. I have to lift my back off the seat to reach some of the touchscreen controls, even though I tend to drive with my seat pretty far forward. I tweak and adjust my seat more often in the Model S than any other car I've owned.

But here's the thing: I test-drove a Model X for a day and immediately went back and placed an order for my second Model S. I love the driving experience, it's just hard to get in/out of.

The Tesla is the last car I will ever own, simply due to its incredible technology and comfort. I am interested in what you don't like about it though?

Personally, I find it annoying that even with passive entry enabled, I am unable to tap any of the passenger handles to have only that one extend (i.e. Grabbing backpack out of passenger side and having to unlock the whole car)

My last few cars were large BMW's. I don't miss the size but find the S just right. I don't hate anything but that is only due to the last update which provided working rain sensing windshield wipers. I am annoyed that I have had the car a year and still have features that don't work well or not at all. I also find the finishes skimpy for a car in this price range. I love the drive for the most part but had a particularly difficult week with snow and very cold weather in terms of battery life and traction.