Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outrageous $5000 repair bill after warranty expire!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s scary. I wonder what that would cost out of warranty. I’ve been following this forum for a long time and I haven’t seen AC pump and control arms as common problems. I was kind of relying on the lack of problems in my decision to own the car out of warranty and not pay for the extended warranty. It’s going to suck having a $1,000 car payment and $5,000 repair bills a couple times a year.

Are your roads really crappy? What would cause the suspension problems this early on?

I’m close to 50k miles, not yet sure if the extended warranty is a good option but tend to think for me it can be. The only thing is that it seems not to be available anymore on my online account, as someone told here before ... :( Maybe should call them to be sure if it’s off for good.
I had the same panic attack when I couldn't find it on my account page either. Apparently you now have to buy it at a Service Center. Not so bad if you live in Laval but I'm in Ogden (where I think the roads are even worse). See Extended Service Agreement

Yes I do. That is why you pay a premium. Look at the interior of the car. The knobs, used materials, seats are of much higher quality than a Yugo. Just like you expect it to be. You pay a price you expect a premium product, not only on the outside but on the inside as well. If they put in a part that is inferior to what you expect for such an expensive car than that is on Tesla. Hack, when I bought the car the sales person even said that they expect the car to last 25 years.

In the EU they have legislation on this. There, Tesla would be on the hook for repairing the compressor. Sadly the OP does not live in Europe but it would be a good thing to have these kind of consumer protection laws on this side of the pond as well.

...and you'd be wrong:

...and you'd be wrong:

Perhaps I did not explain it well. My point is that I expect a premium product when I spend premium money. That the manufacturer doesn't and cuts corners is on him. European legislation works like that too. If your air conditioner of a premium car breaks after two years for instance than the manufacturer is on the hook as a consumer can expect better from a premium product. The manufacture cannot hide behind their suppliers. In Europe there is no need to buy extended warranty as the law protects consumers. It would be a good thing if these kind of protections were also available on this side of the Atlanticm

I got repose from the shop, their higher tier regional manager disapproved any discount, not honoring the extented warranty...I am not getting a tesla again..

I spent $6,500 in the last 6-months repairing non-warranty covered parts in my $96,000 S. All the repairs stem from supposed electrical faults that happened after I started firmware updates. I went to the Seattle service center and asked for help finding a setting on the touchscreen. They told me to leave my vehicle. The next day they said I needed multiple window and door regulators. The Seattle service center replaced the $700 door regulators that were replaced the previous month and replaced regulators in windows and doors that have never malfunctioned. I was quoted $1,010. When I picked up my vehicle it was $1,995.21 which included $310 of diagnostics fee plus labor charges. The diagnostics fees combined with the standard hourly rate doubled the hourly labor rate.

Tesla Inc. in Fremont, CA, won't respond. Tesla Seattle WA won't respond and send the voice mail prompt system won't allow you to talk to a human. I was forced to make complaints with regulatory agencies, the Better Business Bureau and the state attorney general. I may join the class action suit against Tesla after I instantly lost 50 miles of range after I left the Seattle WA service center. Superchargers simultaneously stopped allowing me to charge above 80%. The massive 50 miles range loss plus the new 80% max charging limit have severely limited my ability to travel cross country, dramatically increased my charging time and increased my charging frequency.

I was an early adopter 5-star Tesla evangelist and Elon defender. I've given hundreds of test drives. Now, I'm a 0-star owner that regrets buying a Tesla, regrets trusting Elon, and is contemplating litigation. Only brands with 5-star customers survive. Tesla service centers and Tesla Business Compliance are creating an army of early adopter ex-evangelists who are now anti-Tesla. The people working in Tesla Business Compliance, and the Seattle service center managers, are destroying customer relationships and causing severe damage to the brand and the brand's future.

The Seattle waiting room was chaotic. I waited over an hour for my vehicle. The owner before me screamed about his invoice. There was a sleazy guy who said he didn't work for Tesla renting Teslas in the Tesla waiting room. He tried to rent a dirty Tesla to a new Model 3 owner and was charging her a $300 security deposit. Her new 3 arrived with crooked body panels and Seattle Tesla forced her to rent a Tesla instead of giving her a loaner.

We've canceled our plans to buy a semi, a truck and a 3. My sister canceled, based upon my experience, her Model 3 order. I'll never buy another Tesla. Tesla Business Compliance could have handled this issue appropriately and kept a 5-star evangelist, strengthened brand loyalty, and created a repeat buyer. Instead, Tesla Business Compliance, and the Seattle service center destroyed trust and belief in the brand.

I got response from service center here in Portland last Thursday.

The rep and his manager communicated me through text messages which they type in their computer, I receive as text. He said our text communications are also viewed by his manager. The manager disapproved any goodwell, discount, and not letting me to purchase extented warranty because I am over 50k miles. The rep also sent my question to higher management which is "regional office", they declined the same.

The rep ask me what do I want to do? I of course want to repair it. He said he will try to see if they can fix it in a faster time to save me some labor cost but no guarantee. He just texted me today they are still waiting for couple of more parts, should get my car fixed by this weekend.

I will update the final bill here.

I emailed tesla customer surport, also found a public relation email online sent the email, even twitted elon. As expected non response. I know I am just day dreaming. I am just no body.

Last week while I was waiting for repair update, I also contacted my local tesla store for trade in and get a new tesla. They quote I got was $50300, from $110000+ 3 years ago. The tesla trade in rep was very nice, he also advised me to go to the local car dealers that people usually get a bit more. This tesla trade in rep told me he traded in his model 3 at the shop acroos the street got 3k more. He even gave me the name of the local used car dealers on the same street of tesla service center. The trade in rep told me tesla company offers the market's lowest trade in value for used tesla.

I had a entry level corvette before I purchased tesla, sold it a week before I took tesla delivery. The reason I sold the vette because I was thinking tesla runs as fast as my entry level corvette and I really liked tesla and elon's story. The corvette I sold, only lost a few $k during a few years owner shipment. I feel the price for corevette is very strong in the summer. The 3 corvettes I owned, never had any sort of problems. I am trying to convince myself I am just unlucking on my tesla, however, my 3 years old tesla go to service center every 4-6 month in the past year and half.

I was seriously considering a preowned new Tesla Coupe, in several years when it drops to around maybe 50% to 70% of the $200k release price. Now I am absolutely NOT considering getting one. I was also waiting for the model Y, the truck. No, I will get a Fort Raptor or Honda Ridgeline that will hold a lot better value after 3 years, if I ever get a truck.

Yesterday, I preordered a 2020 new mid engine corvette, expect to take delivery next summer. I plan to get the base model with little bit options, cost me less than 70k, I am sure after 3 years, it still worth $50k due to my 3 past corvette experience.

The rep and his manager communicated me through text messages which they type in their computer, I receive as text. He said our text communications are also viewed by his manager. The manager disapproved any goodwell, discount, and not letting me to purchase extented warranty because I am over 50k miles. The rep also sent my question to higher management which is "regional office", they declined the same.

The rep ask me what do I want to do? I of course want to repair it. He said he will try to see if they can fix it in a faster time to save me some labor cost but no guarantee. He just texted me today they are still waiting for couple of more parts, should get my car fixed by this weekend.

I emailed tesla customer surport, also found a public relation email online sent the email, even twitted elon. As expected non response. I know I am just day dreaming. I am just no body.

Last week while I was waiting for repair update, I also contacted my local tesla store for trade in and get a new tesla. They quote I got was $50300, from $110000+ 3 years ago. The tesla trade in rep was very nice, he also advised me to go to the local car dealers that people usually get a bit more. This tesla trade in rep told me he traded in his model 3 at the shop acroos the street got 3k more. He even gave me the name of the local used car dealers on the same street of tesla service center. The trade in rep told me tesla company offers the market's lowest trade in value for used tesla.

I had a entry level corvette before I purchased tesla, sold it a week before I took tesla delivery. The reason I sold the vette because I was thinking tesla runs as fast as my entry level corvette and I really liked tesla and elon's story. The corvette I sold, only lost a few $k during a few years owner shipment. I feel the price for corevette is very strong in the summer. The 3 corvettes I owned, never had any sort of problems. I am trying to convince myself I am just unlucking on my tesla, however, my 3 years old tesla go to service center every 4-6 month in the past year and half.

I was seriously considering a preowned new Tesla Coupe, in several years when it drops to around maybe 50% to 70% of the $200k release price. Now I am absolutely NOT considering getting one. I was also waiting for the model Y, the truck. No, I will get a Fort Raptor or Honda Ridgeline that will hold a lot better value after 3 years, if I ever get a truck.

Yesterday, I preordered a 2020 new mid engine corvette, expect to take delivery next summer. I plan to get the base model with little bit options, cost me less than 70k, I am sure after 3 years, it still worth $50k due to my 3 past corvette experience.
Bummer. The used higher end Teslas got hit hard by the drastic price drop on the new ones. The rapid innovation and price drops aren’t helping your resale value much. Hopefully they’ll make that electric Corvette someday soon. I will be done buying Teslas too if I have similar ownership experience. Toyota good-willed an AC system repair years after my warranty ended on a Camry I had in the 90s. Tesla is being lame not helping you with this.

Reactions: ACA Man

I also preordered the same as yours.

Our MS was supposed to be the first of a few Tesla to come but not anymore.

More used Tesla supply means more pricing pressure in the used car market. We see the effect slowly unfolding. Also, hard to find third party extended warranty on battery cars.

About the new Corvette: Now that it has automatic transmission, it has got people like me somewhat interested. :)
If you order from Chevy, do you still pay any dealer markup?