Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Over the air improvements or Over the air repairs? (No wonder such few recalls) *SupperCharging is Slower and Range Decreased!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is know for making overreaching promises, they aim for the stars and get credit for reaching the moon (or maybe mars).

When I purchased my 2013 MS 60 it was represented as a Rated 208 mile range and capable of supercharging in just 30 minutes and then be capable of reaching the next destination (where at the time most SC Destination were over 100-150 miles apart). To quote Elon at the time (speaking about the competition), if a car couldn’t attain 200 miles it was frankly a failure.

Today we have over twice as many Superchargers on the road and Tesla has introduced V3’s capable of charging as fast as 250kWh. They have also through new technologies evolved the ev battery to be lighter and capable of over twice the capacity of those original produced.

If it was only more than imaginable, if you could take advantage of these advances and upgrade or modify an existing ev like you can an ordinary ICE vehicle, theoretically you’d have a car that could last forever which only gets better over time!

So when the battery died, it was disturbing to learn that Tesla wouldn’t offer or much less allow you to pay for an upgrade. At first I was told that despite the new 100kWh being lighter, the harness was conveniently designed deferentially where the older versions were incapable to be swapped. Well, how about paying the difference and upgrading to the 85kWh which was an $8,000 option at the time of being ordered? -Sorry, they weigh more and the suspension would also need to be modified…

Being thankful that the warranty was covering the cost of a replacement at least I’d be restored to a battery with at least the capacity as originally designed prior to the failure. However, the refurbished battery at full charge neither displayed the 208 mile range nor was able to ever achieve anything close. In Elon’s own words, he’d describe it as a failure.

Today, as of the beginning of 2022 I’ve discovered that Supercharging was taking considerably longer so when issues related to the MCU required a service appointment I mentioned the slow charging speeds, however they went without even being addressed, I was ignored. Then at a followup visit to a supercharger I spoke to a technician that was servicing the chargers. When I showed him that I was only getting 26kWh rate of charge at this newly established V3, he agreed there was definitely something wrong so I scheduled another appointment (months out for the next visit).

The Service Center was as usual, friendly as could be and when I asked what they thought it might be, they claimed to have no idea (never seen this before). I showed them pictures to that documented several visits where at the fastest rate was only 45kWh and on average it took well over an hour to just charge 50% (and estimated 70 mile range)! -There first thought, possibly we needed another battery replacement.

After being diagnosed they responded that no errors or alerts where found and that the battery was operating and charging as designed. -Repair Finished.

I’ve since read many articles both here on TMC and other ev blogs that since the later part of 2021 updates included decreasing the older vehicles charging speeds in order to preserve battery packs and to keep them from over heating.

So conclusion: Tesla discovered that there is an issue with frequent Supercharging and that the older batteries actually can’t handle it never mind the fact they were originally designed to be able to SC in 30 minutes and be able to reach their next destination. They also discover improvements which allow new batteries to perform better. So what should they do; recall the old batteries because of failures and potential fires and replace them with the new technology so that they could achieve what they were originally designed and intended them to be able to safely perform. Or do we just slow them down, retire them sort of and maybe just take them off the road so that owners are forced to just replace them like Apple does with their batteries? No more 3G, here goes 4 and now everything needs 5G. Like Apple battery cables are no longer included (nor spare tires, not that they ever were anyways).

I guess when it comes to technology over time these things become expensive paperweights because a decision was done for you that it’s just cheaper to replace than repair (little said for the environmentalist). Long gone may be the ‘Classic’ vehicle. I wonder if the day ever comes where a Tesla rolls across the block at the Mecum Auto Auctions? -As of today expecting to see a Founders Signature Addition Model S, there are none listed. Is it acceptable that the EV becomes obsolete after just a few years like a 3-year old phone does?

Does anyone else feel that throttling is unacceptable and that if they know there is an issue they should offer a recall?

Batteries can last 10 to 15 years before major repair (read replacement at the current time). The battery warranty, just like on your cell phone warranty, does not provide you with a new phone, or one with a new battery. It is replaced with a used battery that meets specs of your original failed battery, with the years of degradation on its capabilities as your battery had. It is not a new battery, and will not be warranted another 8 years like a new battery. Now cell phone makers are saying your should not charge your battery to 100%, just like Tesla does now. Frequent fast charging or Supercharging also degrades the battery. Tesla has learned these lessons that no one else could have provided answers to, because they were the first mass produced EV car. Also, the impact of technology changes is not something any manufacturer can control. A 6 - 10 year old computer? Slow, obsolete, and likely not up to current programming standards. Communications (3G to 4G to 5G) is normal, and you CAN upgrade a Tesla, unlike almost all other manufacturers. You don't get a CD player, or a cassette player anymore. Technology keeps moving. Eventually, if you want upgrades to the battery, you must purchase a new car.

Is there huge threads on this topic?

I know very well buying something like a Tesla today that I will not own it past it’s manufacturers warranty. If I’m really happy 4 years or 50k mikes out and can get a 3rd party warranty to extend that further I will.

But it is quite obvious nobody has a plan for these vehicles past 10 years, which you are pushing. It is something that globally needs to be addressed or these cars will not be helping the planet at all. Just fill land fills quicker with toxic materials.

Batteries can last 10 to 15 years before major repair (read replacement at the current time). The battery warranty, just like on your cell phone warranty, does not provide you with a new phone, or one with a new battery. It is replaced with a used battery that meets specs of your original failed battery, with the years of degradation on its capabilities as your battery had. It is not a new battery, and will not be warranted another 8 years like a new battery. Now cell phone makers are saying your should not charge your battery to 100%, just like Tesla does now. Frequent fast charging or Supercharging also degrades the battery. Tesla has learned these lessons that no one else could have provided answers to, because they were the first mass produced EV car. Also, the impact of technology changes is not something any manufacturer can control. A 6 - 10 year old computer? Slow, obsolete, and likely not up to current programming standards. Communications (3G to 4G to 5G) is normal, and you CAN upgrade a Tesla, unlike almost all other manufacturers. You don't get a CD player, or a cassette player anymore. Technology keeps moving. Eventually, if you want upgrades to the battery, you must purchase a new car.
Problem is ICE cars easily go 20 years or more. I personally have never gone past 10. But many cars I sold that were old to me had a 2nd life providing useful service to others. If all EV’s go into landfill at ~10 years that’s not sustainable. And you claim 10-15 years show me numerous examples of 15 year old EV’s. Not some cherry picked one offs.

OP story has come up on these forums quite a few times.

Reactions: AMPd and kavyboy
..and with any other VEHICLE you can replace the part with a NEW one and keep the VEHICLE on the road; even the battery. My neighbor just bought a 67 Chevelle with a brand new LT1 I.C.E.
My point is at what point is it no longer considered a vehicle? A dead battery out of warranty in a car shouldn't be an excuse for landfill. This is not like you spent a few hundred bucks on a CD player or telephone. I suppose you agree that a 2012 Signature Model S should never be seen at the Mecum Auctions because they are NOT Vehicles?

I love the car, I would just like to be able to keep it on the road longer than its spent plugged in :(
Tesla is just too SEXY to be discarded like an iPhone or old CD Player

Reactions: aerodyne
Soon, even now, there are people that repair the batteries. Tesla Co-founder Straub even started a business to recycle batteries that are used up. We are still the early-adopters, and we pay the price. Within 5 years, repair of old batteries will be common, and replacement costs with new batteries will likely be available, bringing their cost down as well. The Toyota Prius battery used to "total" a Toyota out of warranty, and it was just a hybrid. Now, the cost is much lower. Toyota owners don't complain that much. The Tesla battery will generally never go to a landfill, as its core value will always make it worthwhile to pull out and recycle. Many of the parts of used Teslas have great value. Check out Ebay.

If all EV’s go into landfill at ~10 years that’s not sustainable.
There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest this is even the remotest of possibilities. A “dead” 10 year old EV battery today is almost certain to be repurposed or recycled. Countless other components in a car with high aluminum content like a Model S are certain to be recycled. And on and on.

OP’s expectations of ongoing support from the OEM are simply unrealistic - EV or not. They seem to have not read their warranty doc closely that covers how replacements work and what is/isn’t guaranteed. Supercharging speed has NEVER been guaranteed in any way shape or form.

Posting videos of someone LS1 swapping a Chevelle is a complete side show - what the OP is asking for is equivalent to taking that Chevelle back to GM and expecting THEM to do an LS1 swap for you. Not gonna happen. Completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Sometimes the right thing to do is move on. It is not worth the cost, in any sense of the word, to perform mass market component retrofits and major drivetrain upgrades on 10 year old cars. Sell it to someone else looking for a bargain that is not bothered by the limitations and buy what you want/need.

There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest this is even the remotest of possibilities. A “dead” 10 year old EV battery today is almost certain to be repurposed or recycled. Countless other components in a car with high aluminum content like a Model S are certain to be recycled. And on and on.

OP’s expectations of ongoing support from the OEM are simply unrealistic - EV or not. They seem to have not read their warranty doc closely that covers how replacements work and what is/isn’t guaranteed. Supercharging speed has NEVER been guaranteed in any way shape or form.

Posting videos of someone LS1 swapping a Chevelle is a complete side show - what the OP is asking for is equivalent to taking that Chevelle back to GM and expecting THEM to do an LS1 swap for you. Not gonna happen. Completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Sometimes the right thing to do is move on. It is not worth the cost, in any sense of the word, to perform mass market component retrofits and major drivetrain upgrades on 10 year old cars. Sell it to someone else looking for a bargain that is not bothered by the limitations and buy what you want/need.
Why are you so defensive? I just suggested we should have the option... this has nothing to do with warrantee expectations. It seems though you consider the warrantee an expiration date; which is something VEHICLES shouldn't have if taken care of. I bought a SEXY Vehicle and want to keep it on the road and out of a landfill and you are shaming me?

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Why are you so defensive? I just suggested we should have the option... this has nothing to do with warrantee expectations. It seems though you consider the warrantee an expiration date; which is something VEHICLES shouldn't have if taken care of. I bought a SEXY Vehicle and want to keep it on the road and out of a landfill and you are shaming me?

Note that this is not a moderator note. I am not even a mod for this subforum. This post does not represent TMC, TMC moderators, or anyone other than jjrandorin the regular poster, not jjrandorin the moderator.

========================================================

I certainly cant speak for @ucmndd , but I will turn around and ask you a question. Why did you not post this in one of the (many) existing threads on the topic of "supercharging slowing"? Regular members who are active here sometimes wonder why everyone feels they need to have "their own" thread, instead of putting their thoughts on a particular subject in an existing thread.

Here are just some threads, in this subforum, on "supercharging slowing down" that you could have posted in, rather than creating a new thread to re hash an already on going discussion. I found these by searching this subforum (model S battery and charging) for "slow supercharge". Note that the threads below are not all inclusive, there were 10+ pages of results, this is just a sample:

================================

========================================

There are many more, as I mentioned.

So, if you feel a bit of hostility, its likely because some people wonder why this is not in one of the many threads on this topic already, and that someone joining the discussion on the topic could join in one of those, than create another one.

Note that this is not a moderator note. I am not even a mod for this subforum. This post does not represent TMC, TMC moderators, or anyone other than jjrandorin the regular poster, not jjrandorin the moderator.

========================================================

I certainly cant speak for @ucmndd , but I will turn around and ask you a question. Why did you not post this in one of the (many) existing threads on the topic of "supercharging slowing"? Regular members who are active here sometimes wonder why everyone feels they need to have "their own" thread, instead of putting their thoughts on a particular subject in an existing thread.

Here are just some threads, in this subforum, on "supercharging slowing down" that you could have posted in, rather than creating a new thread to re hash an already on going discussion. I found these by searching this subforum (model S battery and charging) for "slow supercharge". Note that the threads below are not all inclusive, there were 10+ pages of results, this is just a sample:

================================

========================================

There are many more, as I mentioned.

So, if you feel a bit of hostility, its likely because some people wonder why this is not in one of the many threads on this topic already, and that someone joining the discussion on the topic could join in one of those, than create another one.
Sorry, I guess too many to chose from. I see your point. However the unique point that I’m making is I would like the option like with other vehicles to modify and update the vehicle to keep it on the road. It’s been 10years and barely any third party applications.

I can still bring my 1955 TBird to my the Ford dealer and they’d never suggest disposing of it because it’s out of warranty. In fact speaking of batteries there’s an option to convert the 9V system into a 12V which we have done…
Just saying.

• Funny
Reactions: Beasts and Rocky_H
Again, lack of guarantee does not give Tesla the right to actively degrade/downgrade cars they no longer own.

Sounds like something that would have to be tested in court. It also would seem to not pass the smell test based on the number of feature removing or limiting “safety recalls”performed lately by OTA updates.

The idea that Tesla has no right to change things retroactively with software updates, which is what you’re suggesting, is at best a rather untested theory.

Sounds like something that would have to be tested in court. It also would seem to not pass the smell test based on the number of feature removing or limiting “safety recalls”performed lately by OTA updates.

The idea that Tesla has no right to change things retroactively with software updates, which is what you’re suggesting, is at best a rather untested theory.
Sounds like you are inviting or suggesting a claim?

Why should this be a fight?

I assure you I’m not defensive. I just think reasonable expectations are important and am generally dismissive of hyperbole like “every 10 year old EV ending up in a landfill”.

I agree, you should have the “option” to upgrade your car and do with it whatever you want. I disagree that the OEM has any responsibility or obligation to offer this to you. Enter the aftermarket!

• Love
No, that's not what I am suggesting. Read again and you will find "degrade/downgrade" and I could have added "damage".
The difference is immaterial. Tesla degraded/downgraded a bunch of cars that were delivered with boombox functionality when they were told to by regulators. They have LONG had a practice that degrades/downgrades supercharging speeds after a certain DC charging threshold.

Or we can just flip it around and play with semantics... Tesla didn't "downgrade" your supercharging speed, they "upgraded" your battery management software to extend the battery's useful life! How nice of them! 😆

The difference is immaterial. Tesla degraded/downgraded a bunch of cars that were delivered with boombox functionality when they were told to by regulators. They have LONG had a practice that degrades/downgrades supercharging speeds after a certain DC charging threshold.

Or we can just flip it around and play with semantics... Tesla didn't "downgrade" your supercharging speed, they "upgraded" your battery management software to extend the battery's useful life! How nice of them! 😆
While toting how fast charging has evolved. How nice of them.

I guess Shell should install a governor download while the ICE fills up at the pump to limit their RPM to help improve gas mileage. Then make the cars slower so that we toss them into landfills and replace every one with a brand new EV. -How Nice if them you’d say 🤣

• Disagree