Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overly Bright with the Glass Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tint simply makes glass darker. If your window film does not block UV, etc. then all you have is "darker".
There is some kind of coating on the clear glass roof that is blocking all kinds of heat rays from the sun. Sorry to those who are scientific geniuses and don't use the term "heat rays".

'Darker' means (pretty much) less 'heat rays'. Visible light represents most of the energy in sunlight, though InfraRed is quite large as well. UV not so much, and plain glass already blocks most of that (and much of the IR) anyways.
[see my post at the top of the page]

Thank you kindly.

Looks perfectly realistic to me. It's a great shot. Besides what would be the motivation to edit it?
I think they were trying to emphasize seeing the seats through the roof, and possibly modified the picture to do this. For example, they may have boosted the contrast.

I tried to find some aerial shots of other cars with glass roofs, though those types of shots are kind of hard to find. I did find this one for comparison though (sun not directly overhead, but shining): tesla red top view wallpaper - Mighty Auto Shop

Note how you can't even see through the glass in that example. In the picture posted in this thread, it looks like the glass has 0 tint. That doesn't seem realistic to me. I think they have modified the shot for artistic purposes.

In the picture posted in this thread, it looks like the glass has 0 tint. That doesn't seem realistic to me. I think they have modified the shot for artistic purposes.
Passengers noted at the reveal that the roof and backlight did not appear to have any tint. I suspect the glass in the glamour shots has been darkened via processing to reflect the final design intent or to mask the incomplete interior.

Passengers noted at the reveal that the roof and backlight did not appear to have any tint. I suspect the glass in the glamour shots has been darkened via processing to reflect the final design intent or to mask the incomplete interior.
I suppose that could be true of the prototype units. Though if so, I wouldn't expect production units to be the same. I would expect them to have tint similar to what the S pano has. The rear piece might could also end up being done kind of like the X windshield with a tapering tint so long as it doesn't add a ton of extra cost.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
'Darker' means (pretty much) less 'heat rays'. Visible light represents most of the energy in sunlight, though InfraRed is quite large as well. UV not so much, and plain glass already blocks most of that (and much of the IR) anyways.
[see my post at the top of the page]

Thank you kindly.

All I know is that I have tinted windows on my Camry and our clear roof Sorrento is immensely cooler. I can actually feel heat coming through my Camry tint. I can't hardly feel anything through my clear window Sorrento windows.

Can anyone explain this phenomena?

If you look at the reveal video, you will notice that the red prototype did not drive onto the stage. It just "appeared". It was also not used during the rides that night. It was also the only one with dark tinted windows. I assume that was a non-functioning prototype with probably an incomplete interior.

I do like the look of the dark tint and it would be nice if that is at least an option. I also think that the clear glass used on the drive-able prototypes was done out of convenience and timing. I assume there will be some moderate tint at the very least on the back and top windows.

My only concern is brightness and glare for children in the back seat. But if it's tinted I'm hoping it won't be an issue

I'm concerned about that as well as the glare that comes down for the dirver as well (as showing in OP's video). One of the early posters solutions was to always wear a hat. Can't say I want to keep 4 hats in the car at all times for my family and friends as "the solution" to glare.

If anyone from Tesla is reading these forums I hope they put some sort of roll up/folding slider that lets you completely block out the light. The way cars do with a regular sunroof. Otherwise I may also have to skip the amazing looking pano and go for a metal roof.

This is the only option that is giving me pause, all the other options are pretty straightforward "known" entities. I love the idea of the expansive view, but I've had a number of cars with sunroofs and those have always been tinted rather heavily. I live in SW Florida and in a place with 300+ days of full sun a year it can get mighty bright and hot adn we often keep the sunroof shades closed, and since I also have 2 young children that will be riding in the back of the car most of the time, having them be in an overly bright environment might not work for my family too well. If the cost for the pano roof is high and might lead to complications like that, I might just skip it and go with a conventional roof.

Good thing for me I live in the not so sunny right hand drive UK. So we can see how you folks in USA get on with it where the sun does shine. And then 2 -3 years later we might actually be able to get into the configurator and find out how much it costs in £ before adding it :( LOL.

Can anyone explain this phenomena?

I would need the cars and a spectrum analyzer. You might look up the manufacturer's specs for the glass.

If you look at the reveal video, you will notice that the red prototype did not drive onto the stage. It just "appeared". It was also not used during the rides that night. It was also the only one with dark tinted windows. I assume that was a non-functioning prototype with probably an incomplete interior.

Word for the front row, was that the red car didn't have a battery pack, and they could see up into the interior.

Otherwise I may also have to skip the amazing looking pano and go for a metal roof.

The option for metal roof only applies to the area above the front seat. Everything aft of the b column is one sheet of glass, with no apparent option to change that.

If the cost for the pano roof is high and might lead to complications like that, I might just skip it and go with a conventional roof.

Conventional roof will not shade your kids in the back seat.

Thank you kindly.

My wife's asian.....not a big fan of the sun ! I guess no glass roof for us :(.

Not all Asians avoid glass roof.

The car below LeEco LeSee shown in Beijing launch event is made by Chinese Jia Yueting 贾跃亭:

top_view_leeco_lesee.jpg

Last edited:
My wife is Scandinavian... she wears sunscreen even on cloudy days! But I'm not dismissing the glass roof option until we know more or have had an opportunity to try it out. Besides, she has a closet full of visors and hats. :)
Lucky you, my dear wife (honest she's cool) does not even like it when I open the sunroof in my car.....Then again we live in the high desert and the sun BAKES you alive in this area.

Reactions: Red Sage
I'm most concerned about the glare. I had a car with a non-shadeable (I made that word up) sunroof, and, the sun coming straight down, between my eyeballs and my sunglasses was a real problem. I'll have to see what's available when I order my M3 to make a decision.