TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Owning a Tesla is awesome, until you get into an accident...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by standardcode, Dec 11, 2014.

1. stevej119

stevej119 Member

...and as I mentioned before, if you replace with an inventory car you also get the $7500 federal tax credit plus whatever your state offers plus you're resetting your warranty at day 1 and zero miles (odometer reading when you take delivery plus 50,000) PLUS you're getting the updated features.

2. Victory

Victory Member

^ this right here. Seriously

3. green1

green1 Active Member

As long as Tesla is selling $100K cars, they aren't going to worry about $30K repair bills. But this won't fly in the market segment they want to compete in for Model 3. I suspect things will eventually have to change, the question is, when? and that's much harder to guess.

4. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Can you explain the + 50,000 part? I understand the rest.

5. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

There's some people that believe the warranty on the inventory cars is 50,000 miles on top of whatever mileage the car already has.

6. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Well, that would be 80,000 km for me, as I have an inventory car, but it seems too good to be true.

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

That's what they told me when I bought my inventory car. I don't know what the "believe" part of that is, it's in writing.

8. robby

robby Member

I agree but if the Model 3 is steel, it may be that the S and X continue to get stiffed with these sorts of repair bills while the 3 is more widely serviceable.

9. stevej119

stevej119 Member

That's because "some people" were specifically told by more than one person at Tesla before and while taking delivery that where the "Tesla Service Loaner and Demonstration Vehicle Sales" document states "Warranty coverage spans 4 years / 50,000 miles (whichever comes first) beginning with the first owner", it means exactly that. 50,000 miles from the time the first owner takes possession of the car.

10. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

OK, you're covered for the normal 50,000 miles of use, hence the "reset" of the mileage to zero. I was misreading as if the the 50,000 mile extended warranty was included (minus the deductible).

11. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

I've seen people say that it's both ways. If you have something more definitive in writing then that settles that.

12. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Even though I did not buy the extended warranty, yes, I was one of the fools that bought the 8 year "service" plan.

13. Just a Reader

Just a Reader Member

Sure. Don't we all know that a S-Class comes with the Grim Reaper as a standard accessory? Do you have any figures at all to back up this claim? And please don't come up with injuries suffered by passengers of S-Classes that were built at some time in the 1980s.

14. Adrian

Adrian Title(D)

But that's what insurance companies does.

15. swegman

swegman Active Member

I can confirm that when my insurance came up for renewal, the cost went up significantly, even though I had no accidents or tickets. It was not the liability portion that went up, but the collision and comprehensive portion that increased. When I asked the insurance company why the rate increased, they told me their claim history for the car in my area (Washington, DC area, which includes DC, VA and MD) was much higher than they had anticipated, and that even though I was accident free/ticket free, the risk gets spread among all the owners.

16. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

maybe we can get the media to start picking up on this. that'll escalate the problem. you'll want to read this: Testing Tesla Certification - FenderBender - March 2014

- his shop has seen four or five Tesla vehicles each week
    - these are high-ticket jobs
    - average ticket has been roughly $10,000 per Tesla vehicle (and Peotter says he has yet to have a “hard hit” on one yet)

- “I mean, you put a quarter panel on a Model S, and that’s going to be an $18,000 job, compared to, what, $5,000 for the average [domestic] vehicle?

That just proves these shops are making a killing with the insane prices. $10k for little dings and scratches. "lucrative investment" BS - it's lucrative because YOU ARE PRICE GOUGING OWNERS.

17. Luclyluciano

Luclyluciano Member

Sure, casualty/safety ratings affect premiums but so do claims history for theft, sportiness of the vehicle, and cost to repair.

18. themacs

themacs Member

I bought an inventory car last month. I have it in writing that the warrantee is 50,000 miles AND 4 years from the day I took delivery. My car had about 7,200 miles so the warrantee is 57,200 miles and 11/7/2018.

19. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

This is correct. Same deal on my inventory car bought in January '14.

20. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Just renewing with State Farm: Over past 12 months increases are:

1. $2000 Deductible Collision = up 9.8%

2. $2000 Deductible Comprehensive = up 5.5%

FWIW.
    --