Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Highway Range — Early Cautious Optimism

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your reported values are still the best efficiency I've heard in a AWD-P. I'm really interested to see my experience since I've been driving the a 60 mile route in a Spark EV and we'll see soon enough on the efficiency with a AWD-P to do some interesting comparisons.

This is great news. Love that this car is gonna be so fun to drive hard but we're not giving up the good Model 3 efficiency for the road trips.

Your reported values are still the best efficiency I've heard in a AWD-P. I'm really interested to see my experience since I've been driving the a 60 mile route in a Spark EV and we'll see soon enough on the efficiency with a AWD-P to do some interesting comparisons.

Saw you posting a lot with anxious regret on the P threads about your RWD order and just noticed your newly updated sig lol welcome to the (future) club!

I drove my new P3D from Mount Kisco to Potsdam NY last night, 350 miles total. Aero wheels. The first half or so of the trip was mostly between 65-70 mph traffic permitting in heavy rain. I was averaging something like 340 wh/mile. Second half was mostly dry with typical speeds 60-65 with energy usage probably around 270 wh/mile as average for the whole trip was about 305 wh/mile. There was some heavy acceleration and some sporty driving occasionally. It seems like the rain really makes a noticeable difference, since I'd be surprised if a 5-10 mph difference is responsible for the full ~70wh/mile difference in efficiency. I'm likely going to do a similar 300 mile drive next weekend, I'm hoping it'll be dry so I can see what I can normally expect.

I drove my new P3D from Mount Kisco to Potsdam NY last night, 350 miles total. Aero wheels. The first half or so of the trip was mostly between 65-70 mph traffic permitting in heavy rain. I was averaging something like 340 wh/mile. Second half was mostly dry with typical speeds 60-65 with energy usage probably around 270 wh/mile as average for the whole trip was about 305 wh/mile. There was some heavy acceleration and some sporty driving occasionally. It seems like the rain really makes a noticeable difference, since I'd be surprised if a 5-10 mph difference is responsible for the full ~70wh/mile difference in efficiency. I'm likely going to do a similar 300 mile drive next weekend, I'm hoping it'll be dry so I can see what I can normally expect.

It looks like we are seeing numbers that are all over here. I'm up in Canada, so heavily considering AWD (that's my config), but I'm definitely worried that long distance trips are going to take longer. Might end up dropping to RWD and letting the winter tires, autopilot and traction control do the rest.

I've just accepted that my 74mph average is going to be about 320Wh/mi, with a total road trip range of 230mi with 100% SOC. I do notice a considerable increase in efficiency if I do 65mph, but who wants to do that? I think it's the 20" Pilot Sport 4S tires; they're really sticky.

Which wheels?

I've just accepted that my 74mph average is going to be about 320Wh/mi, with a total road trip range of 230mi with 100% SOC. I do notice a considerable increase in efficiency if I do 65mph, but who wants to do that? I think it's the 20" Pilot Sport 4S tires; they're really sticky.

The 74 mph average in my Model S in 70-90 degree weather is 260-270 with 19" wheels so that's a really big impact of the 20" wheels and Pilot Sport tires. Are you confident that the efficiency is that bad at that speed?

I'm deciding between AWD+19s and P. I can't figure out from this thread whether P has any range loss over a similar configured AWD. I understand the difference between AWD+RWD, but is there range loss for P with similar wheels + driving?

Key phrase: similar wheels and tires.

The fairly hard all season tires Tesla uses on most of the cars won't handle all the torque a P can put down, which is why Tesla often gives them high performance summer tires which have more grip, but wear faster and have higher rolling resistance.

(I don't know what the P3D is getting in the three possible tire sizes, but I'd be surprised if it's the same as the base car gets.)

Wow, a little surprised by this, in my P100D Model S (in Ludicrous Mode with 21s) I average about 345 Wh/mi averaging similar highway speeds on long trips (most recently from NJ to Ohio and back). That means the M3P is only about 7% more efficient "apples to apples". We have our M3P coming with the 20s and I was expecting it would be averaging more like 250-275 Wh/mi, so about 25% more efficient (as is indicated by expected range as both cars have a range our about 310 miles expected, but Model 3 battery is 25% smaller).

Wow, a little surprised by this, in my P100D Model S (in Ludicrous Mode with 21s) I average about 345 Wh/mi averaging similar highway speeds on long trips (most recently from NJ to Ohio and back). That means the M3P is only about 7% more efficient "apples to apples". We have our M3P coming with the 20s and I was expecting it would be averaging more like 250-275 Wh/mi, so about 25% more efficient (as is indicated by expected range as both cars have a range our about 310 miles expected, but Model 3 battery is 25% smaller).

I've heard various numbers, but I'm very interested in the numbers I'll personally get when it finally arrives. I'm a rather efficient driver usually getting about 12-20% higher than EPA rated values on my vehicles. Other P3D owners are getting typically between 250-290 Wh/mi, with 234 being the lowest I've seen in this thread, and 320 is the highest I've seen.

Here's a reddit thread of drivers comparing their numbers and its all over the place lol. Driver behavior varies so much.
Model 3 has impressive Wh/mi numbers : teslamotors

• Informative
Reactions: NewTMSMan
So in order to strip out driving style, I'm strictly reporting stretches of flat freeway (101N/S) in Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Palo Alto, and Menlo Park, with the "dumb" cruise control set to 74. On these stretches I'm seeing about 320Wh/mi.

If you combine traffic on 101, and/or include some city driving on, say, a 9mi stretch of freeway at 74mph, I'd say my efficiency improves consistently to about 270-280Wh/mi. Since delivery, I have about 540mi on the odometer with an average efficiency of 305Wh/mi.

So in order to strip out driving style, I'm strictly reporting stretches of flat freeway (101N/S) in Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Palo Alto, and Menlo Park, with the "dumb" cruise control set to 74. On these stretches I'm seeing about 320Wh/mi.

If you combine traffic on 101, and/or include some city driving on, say, a 9mi stretch of freeway at 74mph, I'd say my efficiency improves consistently to about 270-280Wh/mi. Since delivery, I have about 540mi on the odometer with an average efficiency of 305Wh/mi.

270-280 sounds consistent with expected values at 75 MPH. I wonder if you're using brakes more than the regenerative braking. From what others have told me, Tesla does not have any regenerative braking by hitting the breaks. Its automatic the moment you release the accelerator, but the brake pedal only controls the mechanical brakes so I'd avoid using that as much as possible and rely on the regen for slowing down (of course don't let yourself get in a dangerous situation doing that).

Overall, I think your driving habits may adjust to the vehicle over the next 1000 or so miles. Many have said not to take the 1st 1000 miles as real efficiency and wait until you're comfortable to really get a better idea.