Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Owner Sit-in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right. The SEC showed the world that his tweets are legally binding and have consequences.

Not really true - the law he broke was manipulating stock prices. The laws in this area are very broad, you can brake them by just telling someone something over a drink after work. The way information is communicated does not matter to the SEC it matters that it is true and even if true, there are further rules on when and how it is releases. Elon has very tight rules that control what he can say in any public and even private ways. His tweet was not "legally binding" he did not have to do it once he said it- the law he broke was spreading 'false or misleading information about a company' in order to manipulate share prices.

Now folks could argue he spoke about the refund to falsely in order to manipulate share price, but that may get Elon/Tesla fined, and in trouble but would have nothing to do with customers getting refunds.

Reactions: P85_DA and kbecks13
Not really true - the law he broke was manipulating stock prices. The laws in this area are very broad, you can brake them by just telling someone something over a drink after work. The way information is communicated does not matter to the SEC it matters that it is true and even if true, there are further rules on when and how it is releases. Elon has very tight rules that control what he can say in any public and even private ways. His tweet was not "legally binding" he did not have to do it once he said it- the law he broke was spreading 'false or misleading information about a company' in order to manipulate share prices.

Now folks could argue he spoke about the refund to falsely in order to manipulate share price, but that may get Elon/Tesla fined, and in trouble but would have nothing to do with customers getting refunds.
One could also argue his tweet falsely advertised and misled the public into making certain purchasing decisions for the sole benefit of Tesla, which is also illegal, at least it is in California.

Fair enough. Still doesn't change the fact that he gave up negotiation position with his Tweet. If he said nothing, we'd all be pissed but would have nothing to hold him to. Now we do. He gave us that. He's the man of many gifts and talents...

After reading seven pages I see no one has taken you up on your offer ;)...find other means to communicate your displeasure ..ruining a future owners delivery experience or harassing Tesla employees who had nothing to do with this is counterproductive ...

After reading seven pages I see no one has taken you up on your offer ;)...find other means to communicate your displeasure ..ruining a future owners delivery experience or harassing Tesla employees who had nothing to do with this is counterproductive ...
Clearly. If nobody else has anything to say perhaps it's a good idea to close this thread.

Whoa i definitely never said that - my point is that he has the final say. So it's not like he is speaking out of turn on these matters. Agree to disagree on duress, but I think that is quite a stretch as he was just having a discussion with someone on Twitter. (and i'm not just saying that because i want a refund, i really don't care either way but ill gladly take free money).

He has final say, but he shouldn’t have a say to the degree that he did on this specific instance.

You aren’t supposed to make final binding decisions until you at least heard your advisors out - that never happened.

Elon can get off twitter for a few days. Can the support emails, staff and number take a break for a few days as well?

Fred might have been the litigator, but he still represented a class. The class consisted of thousands who were bombing Elon’s feed at the same time.

Reactions: P85_DA
Surely you already know the first rule of negotiation: never give up position. You can never take it back.

Elon has at least two ways to blow up the chess board:

1.) Tell people they signed a contract.
2.) Tell people not to buy his cars anymore.

Now you can’t use this technique over and over but every once in awhile isn’t going to destroy the brand.

What if Elon says, on - here’s your 5K. You are now banned from getting a Tesla forever. I wonder who would take him up on it?

Lots of people here who got their Model X declared as lemons, got the car bought back, ended up buying what..??

ANOTHER MODEL X.

The totality of the Tesla brand is greater than Elon’s frustrating product and pricing strategy.

2nd rule of negotiation is know your own position and leverage.

Last edited:
LOL @ the tags on this thread.

You need to start a gofundme and tell your story about you feel wronged. Post it on your FB, Twitter, IG, LinkedIN, etc. and chip away at that $5k. Don't forget reddit too. Make a sticker for your back window with the URL to donate to your cause. If anyone has the cajones to say it is ridiculous that someone who spent $60k+ on a car is complaining the price dropped $5k, I'd be shocked.

I'll chip in $10. Hopefully you'll get to $5k quickly and move on already.

What if Elon says, on - here’s your 5K. You are now banned from getting a Tesla forever. I wonder who would take him up on it?

Lots of people here who got their Model X declared as lemons, got the car bought back, ended up buying what..??

ANOTHER MODEL X.

The totality of the Tesla brand is greater than Elon’s frustrating product and pricing strategy.

2nd rule of negotiation is know your own position.

I buy cars about one every ten years. I'm pretty sure in ten years there will be better electric sports cars than Tesla. So I might take that gamble. Besides, my experience alone is enough to make me want to never buy Tesla again so it's not even a hard sell for me.

Tesla may be the only real EV game in town right now which is why those people rebought Xs. That won't always be the case. Tesla won't be able to hold on to their position forever using a technology advantage. One they've lost that advantage they'll have to do something else to compete. For their sake I hope they've got their pricing and customer service figured out by then.

If you indeed have a sit in and if TV stations go interview you what are you going to say? You are owed money because Tesla lowered the price? I wouldn't want to be the laughing stock of my friends and coworkers who will all see it. Tesla haters and shorts sure will be happy to see that but who wants to make them happy?

Last edited:
I think P3D+ owners probably should feel entitled to such a refund of what they paid for PUP (at cost of FUSC per the tweet)

It's weird P3D- owners think they are entitled to a $5000 refund though since they never spent that 5k on PUP to be refunded.

Not sure what you're saying here. You can always be asked to leave private property by the owner or whomever has control over it and if you refuse you are trespassing.
Sure, everyone gets discounts and handouts except for the P3D- customers, sounds fair to me. :rolleyes:

The tags on this post should tell you all you need to know about how valid an idea this is. I've never seen someone still sticking to their guns 7 pages in. Just acknowledge that maybe your idea isn't objectively the right one, even if you feel emotionally connected to it.

When Tesla increased the price of EAP, did they come running to you for the difference?

When you buy a stock and its value drops by 25%, do you ask the company to pay you back?

I realize the perception of this price change is different, but the reality is that it's not.

If Tesla contacts me and asks if I want $5K or free supercharging, I'll probably take the $5K. But the difference is I have no expectation.

Sure, everyone gets discounts and handouts except for the P3D- customers, sounds fair to me. :rolleyes:

Except that's not, even slightly, what's happening.

P3D- customers didn't pay $5000 for the performance package that is now $0, so they can't get a refund for a thing they did not buy

How are people still confused by this?

I mean- RWD and AWD owners also didn't buy the performance package- should they get $5000 too?

Of course not.

Neither should P3D- owners.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. It's really great to see how supportive and friendly you all are towards each other. I especially appreciate how you haven't resorted to personal attacks, insults or hyperbole to communicate your disagreements. TMC is a truly one of a kind community.
You can't ask for positive, respectful, supportive, or polite responses while planning something overwhelmingly negative and selfish. The feedback has been delivered to you in the appropriate manner. I really do feel bad for the people who are in your situation. Just not you personally.

Except that's not, even slightly, what's happening.

P3D- customers didn't pay $5000 for the performance package that is now $0, so they can't get a refund for a thing they did not buy

How are people still confused by this?

I mean- RWD and AWD owners also didn't buy the performance package- should they get $5000 too?

Of course not.

Neither should P3D- owners.

P3D- owners should get free PUP, since that’s effectively what the $5K refund is for previous buyers.