Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D - NEW Seats Announced - Finally!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That will be announced in 3 months and will start shipping before the actual announcements. Some owners will get them, some won't, and it will all be dependent upon the date your car was built... :p

Also, hot stone massage feature will come out on a Tuesday sometime in the next 14 months and wool carpets will be introduced on a random Thursday afternoon between now and the rapture :biggrin:

it's all part of Elon's new "project potluck"

I stopped by a Tesla store today and asked about the new seats. Apparently the new seats (Recaros) will only be available on the P85D, and in black only. Both associates that were there seemed pretty firm on this.

Also, hot stone massage feature will come out on a Tuesday sometime in the next 14 months and wool carpets will be introduced on a random Thursday afternoon between now and the rapture :biggrin:

it's all part of Elon's new "project potluck"

Stop! Laughed so hard I had to clean coffee off my 21" screen and turn up the air freshener.:biggrin:

I stopped by a Tesla store today and asked about the new seats. Apparently the new seats (Recaros) will only be available on the P85D, and in black only. Both associates that were there seemed pretty firm on this.

My suspicion is that this is a short term thing most likely while they finish a supply contact with their old seat supplier, and while the new supplier ramps up production. The seats are a known weak point in the S, eventually I'm sure everyone will get the improvement on new cars. .. of course the timeline is impossible to guess without a bunch of inside knowledge that I don't have.

Until then however, the black seats are an abdolute non-starter for me, I know what getting in to a car with black leather is like on a hot sunny day in the summer. I'll never make that mistake again. Cloth or light colours only here thanks.

My suspicion is that this is a short term thing most likely while they finish a supply contact with their old seat supplier, and while the new supplier ramps up production. The seats are a known weak point in the S, eventually I'm sure everyone will get the improvement on new cars. .. of course the timeline is impossible to guess without a bunch of inside knowledge that I don't have.

Until then however, the black seats are an abdolute non-starter for me, I know what getting in to a car with black leather is like on a hot sunny day in the summer. I'll never make that mistake again. Cloth or light colours only here thanks.

With pre-cooling it really isn't a problem. Had my car in Texas and it wasn't an issue. It would still warmer that a lighter color, you are right.

That makes less than zero sense.

SMH...
Makes complete sense to me.
OK.

So someone who wants to buy a loaded 85D for ~$110,000 can't get the seats they want for their car. Nor can they choose the color on said seats.

And that makes sense how?

Pre-cooling only works if you plan ahead, and have cell coverage. Two things I can't count on where it would be an issue for me.
And even then, maybe I'm the only one, but even if the car is cool I'll eventually get sweaty in non-ventilated leather seats because the leather doesn't breathe. That's one of the reasons I have the textile seats in my P85 (the other being that without any bolsters, we need all the friction we can get to stay planted in the seat).

OK.

So someone who wants to buy a loaded 85D for ~$110,000 can't get the seats they want for their car. Nor can they choose the color on said seats.

And that makes sense how?

Exactly!!! To say the least. They final solve the seat issue and then reserve the solution for the P85D :mad:

I am ready to order the S85D but I want the new seats. No seats no order........:crying:

With that out of the way I must say that the upgrade of the Model S was very substantial and the increase in efficiency is like getting a 94Kwh battery.

With a move to the latest cells taking the pack to maybe 110 Kwh the range increase over the original RWD S85 will be 43%!

May bit less because the latest cells are a little heavier.

It will make it possible to travel 450km at speeds of 120-130 on a single charge making the Model S.

There's no doubt in my mind that the new seats being limited to the P85D is a temporary thing. The 'old' seats are an acknowledged-by-Elon weakness with the S. The supply contract theory sounds likely to me.