Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D styling not distinctive enough?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think many want an aftermarket tuner's version of what a Model S should be.
But an optional brake upgrade, a new color or two and a new Wheel choice would satisfy most.
I personally want Tesla to focus on what they do best. Judging from the deletion of paint colors, a new cool blue was probably out of the question. Better brakes would probably be horrible bang for the buck and require a good bit of R&D to get right.... so that was not going to happen.
A new wheel (more aerodynamic?) was probably the only extra distinction that was practical. Although there are after market alternatives, many like to stick with OEM and would have sprung for that additional option.
All that being said, we are discussing small saplings here, not the forest.
The P85D has all the earmarks of being a dazzling and revolutionary mode of transportation, any way you order it.

I don't think many want an aftermarket tuner's version of what a Model S should be.
But an optional brake upgrade, a new color or two and a new Wheel choice would satisfy most.
I personally want Tesla to focus on what they do best. Judging from the deletion of paint colors, a new cool blue was probably out of the question. Better brakes would probably be horrible bang for the buck and require a good bit of R&D to get right.... so that was not going to happen.
A new wheel (more aerodynamic?) was probably the only extra distinction that was practical. Although there are after market alternatives, many like to stick with OEM and would have sprung for that additional option.
All that being said, we are discussing small saplings here, not the forest.
The P85D has all the earmarks of being a dazzling and revolutionary mode of transportation, any way you order it.

What is everyone missing when it has been stated so many times... THEY UPGRADED THE BRAKES! Ahhhhhh the pain... It hurts. /headdesk

More aerodynamic wheels would look worse... Not better and would just not go over positively... Ever wonder where the "aero" wheels went? Now you can only get them if you go hunting in their shop for them.

While Bonnie was missing out on her latte, I think I finally found something of Flaw's that I kind of agree with.
Man, this supercar term is getting tossed out there like its nothing.

Let's all agree, the P85D is a fast car from 0-60- but a SUPERCAR, it is not.

Perhaps we need to call the D a SUPER SEDAN since the term SUPERCAR seems more closely aligned to sports cars. It's probably impossible to expect that a four (or five) door sedan could keep up with a similar state of the art sports car on the track.

But, other than that, nothing else of merit in all of this bellowing.

Ok, I'll chime in.

I feel Tesla is more like Apple than BMW. The cheapest iPhone looks the same as the most expensive iPhone - still doesn't stop people from buying the top model based on what works better for them and they all look good.

Good analogy!
aside from mechanicals, i think many would like the options of different paint, wheels, interior options, lighting schemes solely for the P85D

I'm curious as to what % percentage of model S's sold WERE 60, 85, p85 and p85+
and also since the announcement what is the breakdown of 60, 60d, s85, s85d, p85d. Anyone know how to find out?

my guess is the P85D has a higher percentage now than it will in a year after a high number of orders were spurred on by the unavailing, etc

I ordered a grey P85D in large part to avoid attention. I would have ordered without the badge if it was an option.

My point here is not that I think Tesla is right about this. I completely understand why many want more distinctive styling, it's a more expensive car after all. It just happens to be right for me.

Ok, I'll chime in.

I feel Tesla is more like Apple than BMW. The cheapest iPhone looks the same as the most expensive iPhone - still doesn't stop people from buying the top model based on what works better for them and they all look good.

That is a bad analogy.

The iPhone 5c and 5s look MUCH different than the more expensive and bigger/better designed iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

Pricing is based on many technical specs such as memory, processor, screen size, etc. A smartphone compared to a car isn't just an apples and oranges comparison, it's an Apples and Wood chips comparison.

Reading through this thread is interesting to me. Most of you claim you don't want people to know you spent a lot of money for your car, yet, you buy a Tesla and know dang well people know what it cost. What's the big difference if Tesla enhances the exterior a bit and even some performance aspects of the car so we get more bang for the buck? Lower suspension, wider tires, beefier brakes would be plenty for me and not scream "I spent more money than you!" It would just make sense when spending this money.

Really, the P85D is a beautiful car, but Tesla likely did this to simplify production and save some money. But I will still love my P85D when it comes in of course. But to make an excuse that Tesla made the right move here is just doing what Apple lovers do when a new iProduct comes out.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered a grey P85D in large part to avoid attention. I would have ordered without the badge if it was an option.

My point here is not that I think Tesla is right about this. I completely understand why many want more distinctive styling, it's a more expensive car after all. It just happens to be right for me.

How does ordering a Tesla, especially a P85D "avoid attention" ? If you really wanted to avoid attention you would have ordered a Volt or Leaf.

I have a neighbor down the street with a friend who visits often in his red Porsche 911 something. It has yellow brake calipers, ceramic brakes with those holes in them, wheels with such a large diameter that there is barely any rubber between road and rim, and who knows what else. I can hear this car coming and going. It's a level of obnoxiousness that I rarely see, and I'd be thrilled to never see a Model S treated this way. Some owners need their car to scream "I've arrived" while others, who actually have "arrived", don't need or want the attention.

It's a little bit like that middle-aged woman you see at the mall who dresses like Britney Spears. It just doesn't feel right.

What is everyone missing when it has been stated so many times... THEY UPGRADED THE BRAKES! Ahhhhhh the pain... It hurts. /headdesk

More aerodynamic wheels would look worse... Not better and would just not go over positively... Ever wonder where the "aero" wheels went? Now you can only get them if you go hunting in their shop for them.

Are the upgraded brakes solely for the P85D, or are they upgrading them across the line?

Oh, and add me to the understated club. I have my P85D on order without the spoiler. I did opt for the red brakes, but before reading this thread, I thought that was an option for all the models. I certainly didn't opt for them because they were only available on the P85D.

Thinking of de-badging it.

The electro-mechanical brakes are across the line as they are required for auto-pilot. I don't recall if the P85D has additional changes to the rotors/calipers.

That is what I thought.

Now I am no expert on all this; I don't own a garage of supercars, and I have never driven on a track; but what I don't understand is why folks in earlier posts were decoupling brake performance from regen performance, when the two work in concert with each other. With enhanced regen, there is less of a need for performance brakes, especially when compared to the brakes required for an ICE is there not?

If one of these "it needs better brakes" people can tell us what they perceive the shortfall to be in the new upgraded brakes, we can possibly talk. But my feeling is that they're just grasping at straws for something visible they can show off.
Everything I have read says that the old brakes were positively amazing on this vehicle, and they've somehow upgraded them even more now.

The Electromechanical brakes hold a lot of promise to be "better" brakes in that they interact with the autopilot feature. Don't know if they've been tested by an outside source for stopping distance, heat build up and fade.
Ceramic brakes are what I call better brakes.
They are lighter weight and because of extremely low brake dust, keep your wheels considerably cleaner.
They happen to function very well to boot. Don't know if they could be coupled with an electromechanical system but I would think they could.

The Electromechanical brakes hold a lot of promise to be "better" brakes in that they interact with the autopilot feature. Don't know if they've been tested by an outside source for stopping distance, heat build up and fade.
Ceramic brakes are what I call better brakes.
They are lighter weight and because of extremely low brake dust, keep your wheels considerably cleaner.
They happen to function very well to boot. Don't know if they could be coupled with an electromechanical system but I would think they could.

And cost a fortune. I know two people who had Porsche's ceramic brakes and wish they didn't have them. They were bundled with the turbo S. Way overkill for a street vehicle.