Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85DL is the Ultimate CPO Model S Unicorn. Opinions???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently stumbled upon, and was fortunate enough to buy, a CPO P85DL Late march 2015 build. In my humble opinion, and after doing as much research as possible, I determined that this is the Ultimate CPO model S, at least for the performance enthusiast.

I make this argument based upon the fact that is the P85DL is the only model S, with high-performance suspension and ludicrous mode. Later P85D's, P90D's etc lose the high-performance suspension, and many P85D's have not been upgraded to ludicrous, Which makes the pre april P85DL a true unicorn. I would argue that what I give up in range and the minimal difference in performance compared to the later P models is worth the trade-off of lower price and better suspension. Also, having owned a AP 2.0 75rwd previously, I find that the original autopilot more than suits my needs and outperforms the later version in most situations.

This leads me to the question of the day. What is the ultimate unicorn CPO find? Is it the pre-April P85D with ludicrous upgrade, or something else? I'd love to hear opinions

Other than the recent overuse of the term "unicorn" in today's online lexicon, I can see agreeing with your statement. 0-60 in 2.9(ish) and low 11s in the quarter. plus less weight than p100d and sportier suspension. I guess if you got more nitpicky, you could find some rare combination of other options that rolled out around that time. or maybe the seats being different?

Reactions: tubaprde
I don't know if you could call this a unicorn or not, but folks who like RWD cars would probably enjoy the P85+ with AP1. Very few of these were made in late 2014, basically right at the end of P85/P85+ production (but after AP1 hardware started being included on the cars). Plus suspension on the only RWD performance Model S, AP1, and the original, cavernous frunk.

Bruce.

I think there is something to be said for the RWD 75's which showed up with an 85kWh-battery (BTX8). RWD, performance close to P85DL. No high-performance suspension, but all of the 2016/2017 goodies in lieu thereof. And a very limited production run.

How do you tell the difference between the regular suspension vs. performance plus suspension?

Need to check the code on the front spring/shock/strut housing... turn your wheels fully to the left, get under and look at the front housing.

If you've got this: DM SS 1030608-01-A

Then you've got the Plus suspension.

All credit goes to the countless experts here on TMC