Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rated
2016 (502 klms/ 312 miles @ 18C/ 64 F) &,
2018 (479 klms/ 297 miles @ 27 C/ 81 F)

Typical
2016 (401klm @ 18C/64F)
2017 (403 klm @ 22C/71F) ****
2018 (381 @ 27C/81F)

***** Strangely my typical range increased in 2017. I put this down to 2 possibilities: 1 there was a temperature increase; or, it was relying on data from a different style of driving that I had been doing prior to the test.

That's why it's always better to use rated capacity, because it gives a consistent measurement from year to year and the only varying factor is temperature. It's the best way to measure whether your battery is deteriorating.

I no longer measure my Typical Range annually because its largely on the style of driving I am doing before it makes the calculation.
This is very interesting and something I didn't know....so you're saying that rated range will always be calculated on a preset wh/mile usage and so effectively gives a rated battery capacity whereas typical range varies according to how you have been driving over the last however many miles or life of the car? Does anyone know exactly how many previous miles driving this is calculated from or is it over the life of the car?

I asked about the 90 this time and they told me it would only be if they can’t find an 85, so we shall see.

If you have iOS powertools is what I use to see power output.

I was able to get the 90kWh battery pack because they initially sent the wrong 85kWh pack that wasn't luda compatible. I simply asked for the 90kWh pack, citing the mistake and they were happy to upgrade.

I haven't had a chance to test power outputs.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
What rated range are you seeing with your battery? Your part number seems to be for a V3.
They set up my service appointment for next Tuesday. It was confirmed via part number that the replacement battery is a V3. I’m excited to see if I will see the full 1600 amps. From what I can find, I don’t see an example of someone moving from an 85L pack to a 90L pack and the number difference. I’d like to see if I can get a 10.x out of my 7 seater sedan when it warms up.

an update

P85D which became P85DL just had a battery replacement

I received the battery : 1088790-00-A

I don't have any logging tools so all i had was the cars power meter, 65% SOC, 11c ambient temp (uk) and about 10 miles warmed. 25min remaining on max battery and the power meter was only just past 400... but i know SOC is lower than ideal and temp a factor.

Did i receive a good version of the 90 pack? And will it have 1600amp

Car is identifying as a P90DL now but still badged P85DL

Are my motors capable of hitting 500kW peak with a warm pack and ideal conditions?

Also i heard 90 packs are not the best, what should i need to be concerned about vs what i had before?

Eg
Charge rates, longevity, range loss, limited WOT

thank you

an update

I don't have any logging tools so all i had was the cars power meter, 65% SOC, 11c ambient temp (uk) and about 10 miles warmed. 25min remaining on max battery and the power meter was only just past 400... but i know SOC is lower than ideal and temp a factor.

Are my motors capable of hitting 500kW peak with a warm pack and ideal conditions?

Also i heard 90 packs are not the best, what should i need to be concerned about vs what i had before?

Eg

thank you

That is the V3 battery. My P85D was also just replaced with the same battery. I’ve already logged and seen as high as 506kw. This was also on an 18* day. I plan to mess with it more when it is warmer. When it was first dropped off I was also seeing around 470 at 65% which is still quite a bit more than the old 85 numbers. I would also like to see a 10.x time slip some time this year.

That is the V3 battery. My P85D was also just replaced with the same battery. I’ve already logged and seen as high as 506kw. This was also on an 18* day. I plan to mess with it more when it is warmer. When it was first dropped off I was also seeing around 470 at 65% which is still quite a bit more than the old 85 numbers. I would also like to see a 10.x time slip some time this year.
Encouraging thanks!

I assume your 470 @ 65% was with max battery ready and a dry road with decent ambient temp?

The conditions today were slightly wet and against me. Plus I assume it’s very hard to judge peak power with just the cars power meter.

Encouraging thanks!

I assume your 470 @ 65% was with max battery ready and a dry road with decent ambient temp?

The conditions today were slightly wet and against me. Plus I assume it’s very hard to judge peak power with just the cars power meter.
It was cold, maybe 20* and it wasn’t max battery temp but it was like 30 minutes left to reach max temp starting from over an hour. You are right that the power meter is tough to use. I’m using PowerTools on my phone, it doesn’t require any extra hardware.

Reactions: bp1000
an update
Eg
thank you

I got exactly the same as yours. P85D upgraded to Ludi, battery failure, got replaced with the same 90 pack as yours (june 2018).
Rebadged it myself (replaced 85 by 90, from ebay).
My range was quite good when new, much better than my old 85 pack which only got 360-370km at 100%.
I've already driven a lot with my new pack, and it already degraded by about 5% (425km last june to 405 km nowadays)
Performance does not seem affected positive or negative, but I don't have numbers to support this. I do have a OBD2 dongle and adapter, so I could try someday with the tm-spy or android app.
It seems this is a version 3 / v3 battery which should give the best performance.

I got exactly the same as yours. P85D upgraded to Ludi, battery failure, got replaced with the same 90 pack as yours (june 2018).
Rebadged it myself (replaced 85 by 90, from ebay).
My range was quite good when new, much better than my old 85 pack which only got 360-370km at 100%.
I've already driven a lot with my new pack, and it already degraded by about 5% (425km last june to 405 km nowadays)
Performance does not seem affected positive or negative, but I don't have numbers to support this. I do have a OBD2 dongle and adapter, so I could try someday with the tm-spy or android app.
It seems this is a version 3 / v3 battery which should give the best performance.
Your loss of range isnt a good sign. You also don’t notice increased performance? It should be quite noticable. My upgrade to a 90 was a bigger increase than the insane to Ludicrous with the 85. I went from 448 to 506kw.

Definitely noticing higher peak power with this v3 pack now

It was warmer today and I had driven the battery up to temp. Power meter definitely went higher than what I’m used to.

Of course I can’t tell exactly what peak power was achieved but it’s certainly higher.

Looking at a P100DL power meter on YouTube I’m definitely hitting 480-490kW - maybe even 500kW. But I was only at around 80% SOC.

So entirely likely I will hit 510kW absolute max when I charge to 95% and it’s warm / bone dry roads

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
I recently bought a "CPO" 2015 P90DL and looked by the passenger wheel well to see what battery version I had:
1104028-01-C

This means the battery was swapped right? I tried searching that version on TMC but didn't find any info about it. Do I have some kind of special version? :confused:

batteryversion.png

I recently bought a "CPO" 2015 P90DL and looked by the passenger wheel well to see what battery version I had:
1104028-01-C

This means the battery was swapped right? I tried searching that version on TMC but didn't find any info about it. Do I have some kind of special version? :confused:

View attachment 397566

According to the PxxDL tracking spreadsheet, you've got a Unicorn:
Tesla Model S PxxxD(L) Comparisons (Responses)

It's not been updated in a long time, but still the best reference I know of for Ludicrous batterIes version #s.

1104028-01-C

View attachment 397566

I’d be curious what sort of power output you are seeing from that battery. What is your rated range?

According to the PxxDL tracking spreadsheet, you've got a Unicorn:
Tesla Model S PxxxD(L) Comparisons (Responses)

It's not been updated in a long time, but still the best reference I know of for Ludicrous batterIes version #s.

Thanks. I saw that spreadsheet earlier but didn't see mine on there, probably because like you said it hasnt been updated in a while. I wonder if Tesla is quietly replacing/recalling the older batteries (I haven't read this full thread yet).

I’d be curious what sort of power output you are seeing from that battery. What is your rated range?

I charged to 100% a couple weeks ago and the dash indicated 256 miles of rated range. Tesla noob here, how do I tell you the power output from the battery?

Thanks. I saw that spreadsheet earlier but didn't see mine on there, probably because like you said it hasnt been updated in a while. I wonder if Tesla is quietly replacing/recalling the older batteries (I haven't read this full thread yet).

I charged to 100% a couple weeks ago and the dash indicated 256 miles of rated range. Tesla noob here, how do I tell you the power output from the battery?

256 sounds more like V1 range. I use PowerTools for iOS to check the power output.

2015P90DL: 60K miles (92K klm), 318 miles (512 klms) RATED RANGE - not TYPICAL RANGE which is unrelabe for comparisons due to varying weather altitude and driving styles.

My battery (attached pic) - I think it's V1.

My deg seems pretty good I lose about 12 - 18 miles (20-30 klm) per year

Attachments

• Tesla Battery Serial Number.jpg
    Tesla Battery Serial Number.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 77