Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pacific Northwest Owners (Seattle, Portland, or towns/cities in the region)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not on Facebook and can't read the message, but...dang. She's been there (well, with Tesla; the Seattle store was all they had when she started) about 9 years.

I don't blame her for moving on, but it sure was nice having her there!

Reactions: jebinc
I need to update this post. Glovis Sunlight only loaded for less than a day (20 hours) and is now directed from San Francisco to Portland Oregon.
I bit odd. Perhaps this is a more inexpensive way to deliver cars to Oregon, Washington State and Vancouver Canada.
This may not be the best place to ask, but if anyone is near the automotive docks west of Portland, maybe do a drive by or drone check on whether this ship unloads any Tesla’s. Check the shipping movement thread for more details.
2022 Shipping Movements

I don't see your post, but unless Tesla changed something all cars delivered on the west coast are put on trucks. They were still doing it in 2020 when I went to California. I saw a small convoy of trucks loaded with Teslas on I-5 near Grants Pass.

The US rail network runs at near full capacity most of the time.Tesla is able to get train space for cars shipped to the eastern part of the US by piggybacking on the network already set up to ship American and Canadian made cars from various places in the eastern part of the continent to California. Those rail cars would have to return to their factories empty or with a handful of cars made in Japan, South Korea, or China that were delivered to ports in the Bay Area. Tesla has set up distribution depots that are along the routes back to the car factories, so the train stops, drops off the Teslas and returns to the factory to pick up more Subarus or Fords or whatever.

There are no car factories in the NW or Southern California, though there are some semi-truck factories in the NW. I think the only one still open is Paccar in Renton. Automotive carrier cars would not be the economical gimme in this region that it is for the rest of the US. So they have been using trucks. It's possible they are using rail now, I haven't followed the details, but without confirmation, I would assume all cars shipped to the NW are still put on trucks.

@wdolson There was speculation in main investor forum. The Glovis Sunlight left San Francisco bound for Portland and has apparently been used to ship Tesla’s before. This would be highly unusual and, as you correctly said, not the normal MO. It’s most likely NOT carrying Tesla’s, but given other considerations (high diesel prices, maybe limited number of carriers, etc), perhaps they are trying something new. Perhaps, there are enough cars being delivered in Portland, followed by another leg up to Vancouver BC, to justify such a route. Again, highly unlikely.

Anyway, if anyone in the area is interested in an outing, might be an interesting day trip. I’ve not been around the area in years, but Google maps shows massive parking lots at the confluence of the Willamette & Columbia Rivers in both WA & OR.

I live just east of Vancouver, but wasn't aware those lots there there. Looking on the map, the one on the Oregon side says it's a Hyundai facility and the one on the north says Subaru. I have seen many Toyotas in a lot on the Willamette closer to downtown.

There is a quirky rule that if a ship leaves from an American port and its next port of call is American, it must follow all the US Coast Guard regulations, but there are fewer rules for ships that sail between international ports. US cruise ships will almost always sail to a foreign port before going to another American port for this reason.

If they sailed from California to Vancouver, BC, then on to Seattle or Portland, they wouldn't be violating this rule, but they would have to stop at another foreign port before returning to California. Maybe the ship is carrying Model S and X for the Far East or Australia?

I don't know where they would disembark the cars in Oregon or Washington though. All the car lots at the ports are already run by the competition.

I live just east of Vancouver, but wasn't aware those lots there there. Looking on the map, the one on the Oregon side says it's a Hyundai facility and the one on the north says Subaru. I have seen many Toyotas in a lot on the Willamette closer to downtown.

There is a quirky rule that if a ship leaves from an American port and its next port of call is American, it must follow all the US Coast Guard regulations, but there are fewer rules for ships that sail between international ports. US cruise ships will almost always sail to a foreign port before going to another American port for this reason.

If they sailed from California to Vancouver, BC, then on to Seattle or Portland, they wouldn't be violating this rule, but they would have to stop at another foreign port before returning to California. Maybe the ship is carrying Model S and X for the Far East or Australia?

I don't know where they would disembark the cars in Oregon or Washington though. All the car lots at the ports are already run by the competition.
In general, foreign flagged vessels can’t transport cargo from one US port to another. They can make multiple US port calls, but can not transport domestic cargo. The BC stop was used for (foreign) cruise ships but I’m not aware of any cargo exceptions to the Jones Act for Tesla.

Just checking in! Hope you all are enjoying summer in the PNW!

It's summer already? I though it was getting warm...

Wish I had time to enjoy anything right now. The Tesla Owner of Oregon group has had some nice group drives, but I haven't been able to participate. Between my partner biting off more than she can chew workwise (running three businesses with long COVID), a friend of hers who blew up her life due to some very stupid decisions and wants my partner to fix them, and rebuilding a bathroom after a water leak, our plates are full.

Reactions: Araman0 and jebinc
Loving the cool summer this year vs last year. Took a drive up to Bald Peak yesterday. Very fun road! Don't recommend if you're concerned about Safety Score ;)

My 3 is over 3 years old now and still feels brand new. We have a brand new Y as well, but I'll take my 3 all day over it.

3CF982B7-A2B1-4A82-8DDF-6C854F8262F6.jpeg

F88B08D5-66FB-482D-9B21-669A599C8C4B.jpeg

Reactions: MODEL+ and jebinc
It's summer already? I though it was getting warm...

Wish I had time to enjoy anything right now. The Tesla Owner of Oregon group has had some nice group drives, but I haven't been able to participate. Between my partner biting off more than she can chew workwise (running three businesses with long COVID), a friend of hers who blew up her life due to some very stupid decisions and wants my partner to fix them, and rebuilding a bathroom after a water leak, our plates are full.
Sorry to hear about the long Covid. What symptoms do you have with that? For me, is a persistent dry cough at night. Like having to clear one’s throat. A single cough.

2022 MYP Owner here, happy to see an active PNW Tesla community (God knows Seattle is filled to the brim with them).

Anyone have a recommendation on a good electrician to install a Tesla Charger in a garage + do an electrical panel upgrade in Seattle?

Zip code is 98118.
I used Keithly Electric in South Park for a sizeable 3 phase warehouse job and they did a superb job quickly and for a decent price. They also do residential but I haven’t dealt with them for that. No affiliation.

Sorry to hear about the long Covid. What symptoms do you have with that? For me, is a persistent dry cough at night. Like having to clear one’s throat. A single cough.

My asthma got a bit worse after the vaccine, but that's my only symptom. My partner is the one with more severe long COVID. Her energy levels are terrible. She pushes herself beyond exhaustion every day. She is doing neurofeedback for it, but her brain is very weirdly wired. She's had some of the top brain experts in the country look at her brain maps and they're scratching their heads. (Her brain was like that pre-COVID.) It means they have to come up with unique protocols just for her.

2022 MYP Owner here, happy to see an active PNW Tesla community (God knows Seattle is filled to the brim with them).

Anyone have a recommendation on a good electrician to install a Tesla Charger in a garage + do an electrical panel upgrade in Seattle?

Zip code is 98118.

Too bad you aren't down here in Clark County, I could recommend an excellent, cheap electrician. He's moonlighting so he only does side jobs when he has the time, but it fits the good-fast-cheap pick two thing.

Zip code is 98118.
I used JAG Electric, they were quick and efficient (two other companies who claimed they did wall charger installs never even got back to me). They are Eastside but I think they also cover Seattle.

Ever wanted to try out Autocross? Already think you know what you're doing?

Come join myself and hopefully quite a few other Teslas at Evergreen Speedway on October 2nd. It's a fun, fast autocross, with lots of runs and no working. Whatever Tesla you have is fine, whatever Tires you have are fine, whatever brakes you have are fine. The whole point of AutoX is to be able to use your street car. It's pretty easy on the car. A couple experienced people will be there and can help you out and give instruction if you want it.

It's not a special Tesla day in particular, but looks like we already have 4 Teslas coming- and the more the merrier, and we can show all those ICE cars what an EV can do. But mostly just have a great time with other fellow enthusiasts of all kinds.

Supercharger nearby if you need to come from afar.

Registration opens at 6pm tomorrow (Sept 22nd). It will sell out in about 10 minutes, so you have to be on it.

Ping me if you're interested for more details.
@brianman @llamas @Freelancer1331 @Dolemite @Drivesolo @UWGorilla

Anyone local looking for a genuine Tesla MYP carbon fiber spoiler for their LR?

Hello All! If you know anyone interested in a low mileage 2021 MYP, mine is now for sale. Details can be found here!

Hello All! If you know anyone interested in a low mileage 2021 MYP, mine is now for sale. Details can be found here!

Sorry, this is the correct listing.