Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parked in a garage with 18% charge and no plug, will I be able to drive home later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my car Sunday and planned on trickle charging and hitting a super charger or two until i could get my outlet installed in my garage.

Well, trickle charging doesn't work from any outlets i can reach, so i was planning on taking it to a supercharger or a level 2 tonight.

Got a warning to charge immediately when i parked today, so can you guys give me your expert opinion on how screwed I'll be even i go to me car today?
I have a friend who can drive me to a level to charger at lunch and i think i can leave it there for a few hours.

I'm at 18 percent and I'm parked in a parking deck. It's 40 to 45 degrees today.

Will i lose a ton of charge by sitting in this weather? My plan was to drive home via the day care, drop off the baby, and get to a level 2 charger tonight with like 8 percent remaining. Is that not going to work?

Outlet is going in before Christmas. I just need to get through a couple weeks!

Just curious why no outlet works, standard 110 is quite slow but overnight you'll get some miles and if it's sitting for a while I would have guessed it would at a minimum balance loss due to temps.. maybe not..

I really don't know. I plugged the 110 charger they gave me into two sockets in the garage and one in my hallway and got a charging equipment fault every time.

I really don't know. I plugged the 110 charger they gave me into two sockets in the garage and one in my hallway and got a charging equipment fault every time.

Have you ever been able to charge at 110 on any outlets? Maybe the mobile charger is faulty, is there a known good 110 outlet you can test with even just for a minute?

110 will definitely give you a charge, will avoid any parasitic loss and will warm up the battery slightly too.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Need
Have you ever been able to charge at 110 on any outlets? Maybe the mobile charger is faulty, is there a known good 110 outlet you can test with even just for a minute?

110 will definitely give you a charge, will avoid any parasitic loss and will warm up the battery slightly too.

Yeah you should test it at some point. My UMC was bad when my Model 3 was delivered. They have to give me another one. But it could also be your house circuit too... maybe it can't take a 12 amp continuous draw. Try it at someone else house or something.

And charging at 10% is fine... it is not like you are doing it everyday.

I have a neighbor with a 3 who uses 110 overnight. I'm planning on asking him if i can stop by with my car and my charger and see if my equipment really is faulty. Just couldn't do it yet - but it's going to the top of my priorities now!

• Love
Reactions: Dmagyar
Regardless how you resolve the current situation, you should try to get to the bottom of why the mobile connector isn't working. Try charging at another outlet away from home (you can sometimes find outlets in parking garages), and check if you can identify the blink pattern of the LEDs on the connector when you get the fault. See page 11-13 in the manual:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

Reactions: Rocky_H
Agree with what everyone said about figuring out of my cable is bad.

Drove out to the nearest supercharger at lunch and am now charging at about 140kW, so at least i can breathe and take a minute to figure out what's wrong at home.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm happy i went to this trouble as i was really stressing out!

Reactions: puckpurnell
It happens. Usually a ground fault and quite often an easy fix if the leads are reversed on the receptacle. We stayed in a condo for a week right across from the Coronado hotel. There were six 120 volt receptacles available. One had a ground fault. Switched spots. Good to go. If the same guy installed both he probably hooked up both backwards. Most stuff doesn’t care,,,but an EVSE does.

Charging faults usually mean the ground is not working on your outlets.

BTW, electricity in the USA/Canada is 120 V, not 110. Hasn't been 110 for over 50 years.