Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensor retrofit - $6000 ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know what's involved in that? Routing wires might be a pain, but third party shops do that sort of thing all the time. I suppose there's more to it than routing the wires, but what?

Easy stuff:
1. Get all required things: sensors, brains, etc.
2. Wire them in. Easier if you have a friend's car to reference.

Unknown stuff:
* Can you get the service center to enable parking sensors in the admin screen (press and hold the tesla T), or do you need some special variant of the software that we don't know about yet

We just need someone brave enough to try. Tapping into the CANbus system has been done on other car manufacturers (audi, bmw, porsche, mb), so there's nothing magical about that. But, getting the sensors activated and responding correctly is a big unknown. If BMWs can retrofit new nav systems into old cars, it can be done on Teslas, just a matter of time and getting someone to experiment with it. seems like this info is becoming more available, so i would be surprised if it took more than a year for someone to try.

Easy stuff:

Unknown stuff:
* Can you get the service center to enable parking sensors in the admin screen (press and hold the tesla T), or do you need some special variant of the software that we don't know about yet

We just need someone brave enough to try. Tapping into the CANbus system has been done on other car manufacturers (audi, bmw, porsche, mb), so there's nothing magical about that. But, getting the sensors activated and responding correctly is a big unknown. If BMWs can retrofit new nav systems into old cars, it can be done on Teslas, just a matter of time and getting someone to experiment with it. seems like this info is becoming more available, so i would be surprised if it took more than a year for someone to try.

I think the Tesla electronics, particularly those regarding the touch screen and instrument panel, are a lot more complicated that the usual auto stuff. WhiteP85 can attest to that from his efforts to develop a switch for the front camera idea. Nothing conventional worked. Of course a separate bumper sensor system is a piece of cake. But something integrated into the Tesla electronics is another story altogether.

I think the Tesla electronics, particularly those regarding the touch screen and instrument panel, are a lot more complicated that the usual auto stuff. WhiteP85 can attest to that from his efforts to develop a switch for the front camera idea. Nothing conventional worked. Of course a separate bumper sensor system is a piece of cake. But something integrated into the Tesla electronics is another story altogether.

But if the sensors are hooked into the car correctly, the software should just take over. If you bought all the oem sensors and associated boxes, hooked them together as if they came from the factory, then I assume that the firmware would take over as if it were installed from the factory. The looming question in my mind is can you flip a switch in the software (in the admin menu that I previously mentioned, it's been documented to be there) and have it just work, or is there some special sauce you need the service center to do (and will they do it).

Edit: I thought parking sensors was a 'thing' in the hidden admin menu, but it's not (according to this video): Tesla Model S Hidden Menus - YouTube. Still, I would think someone somewhere at tesla could flip the parking sensor switch to get that going.

Of course, this is all speculation.

Last edited:
Easy stuff:

Unknown stuff:

I might be willing to try, if I can get much better technical information about how to do it. (And assuming Tesla doesn't charge an arm and a leg for parts. I'm thinking $500 or less for parts, since that's what the option costs.)

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I thought parking sensors was a 'thing' in the hidden admin menu, but it's not (according to this video): Tesla Model S Hidden Menus - YouTube.

Possibly just old software. (Video is from May. I think that was before parking sensors.)

But if the sensors are hooked into the car correctly, the software should just take over. If you bought all the oem sensors and associated boxes, hooked them together as if they came from the factory, then I assume that the firmware would take over as if it were installed from the factory. The looming question in my mind is can you flip a switch in the software (in the admin menu that I previously mentioned, it's been documented to be there) and have it just work, or is there some special sauce you need the service center to do (and will they do it).

Edit: I thought parking sensors was a 'thing' in the hidden admin menu, but it's not (according to this video): Tesla Model S Hidden Menus - YouTube. Still, I would think someone somewhere at tesla could flip the parking sensor switch to get that going.

Of course, this is all speculation.

IMHO there's no way it would be that easy. Not.

As soon as I can buy the sensors, wiring harness, and any additional stuff needed (control module?) from Tesla, I'll be happy to have a local aftermarket shop install them and be the guinnea pig for this. I'm sure with enough friendly pestering I can get my service center to flip the bit in the service menu.

Again, it's the integration with the dash display I want from this, so other after market options are uninteresting to me.

As soon as I can buy the sensors, wiring harness, and any additional stuff needed (control module?) from Tesla, I'll be happy to have a local aftermarket shop install them and be the guinnea pig for this. I'm sure with enough friendly pestering I can get my service center to flip the bit in the service menu.

Again, it's the integration with the dash display I want from this, so other after market options are uninteresting to me.
^^^ + 1.

One thing that I haven't heard mentioned (and this would be the absolute best scenario) -- What if the newer firmware automatically enables the parking sensor display when the factory sensors are properly connected and detected?

One thing that I haven't heard mentioned (and this would be the absolute best scenario) -- What if the newer firmware automatically enables the parking sensor display when the factory sensors are properly connected and detected?

That's what I said above. It could happen, but worst case you need tesla to flip the bit to make the system aware. Most other canbus cars aren't programmed to auto sense equipment, they need to be activated at the dealer.

mdh, did you talk to your local service center? I mentioned it in passing one time while I was at my local service center and the general consensus was they would just have to order all the parts and then charge for parts and labor. No way I'd pay that much to get it done, but I think if you're willing, they'll do it for you. Also, I imagine you'd be left with a front and rear bumper that you could go off and sell to recoup some of that money because part of the cost is complete replacement of both bumpers.