Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors not working: $500 to fix!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can from image the sensor is dislodged inwards, and so it keeps giving error message that parking sensor is not available. I don’t mind it but it beeps every time I slow down. I can’t believe Tesla is charging $500 to fix it. I understand it is difficult to access it, but still! Any cheaper option? Take to a car body shop? Thanks!
93321B9B-830A-4A54-A556-BAF9367D92C0.jpeg

You can from image the sensor is dislodged inwards, and so it keeps giving error message that parking sensor is not available. I don’t mind it but it beeps every time I slow down. I can’t believe Tesla is charging $500 to fix it. I understand it is difficult to access it, but still! Any cheaper option? Take to a car body shop? Thanks!View attachment 751606
You know your options.

Take it to Tesla
Take it to a bodyshop
Fix it yourself

Upvote 0
Like others have suggested, if you have had chance before your Tesla to get your hands on your car’s, then fixing it yourself is possible. It needs the bumper to come off and you need to clean up there where the sensor is attached as the glue has to attach to the surface. It might be just the sensors has come loose from the bracket, but as seen myself it’s very hard do to without braking it appart. These sensors are pretty tight there. It you have to fix it yourself then before putting back use some silicone oil to set the seal right around it.
Or take it to bodyshop, preferably the one that has knowledge on the car. You can take the bumper on/off yourself, it’s very easy but there needs to be two pairs of hands to get it back without damaging any further. I think Tesla is quoting you on new harness and sensors for the fix.
Actually you can test it wether the sensor is broken or are the edges of bumper disturbing the proper functioning by only undoing the bolts and screws and getting sufficient room behind the sensor to push it back and getting in to D on the IC...

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
Upvote 0
I was nudged while at about 40mph by an illegal left-turner traveling south on PCH. He tagged the rear driver side wheel and lower right side of the rear bumper cover leaving some red paint from his MB on the rear wheel, paint on the bumper cover, and dislodged one or two parking sensors. Fortunately the Tesla was loaner admittedly was the other person's fault. Surprisingly the body shop that Enterprise used said the total bill was under $650 for the cleanup and repaint. Oddly I was 5 minutes away from picking up my Model S from the SC for the eMMC replacement.

I have no idea what Tesla would have charged but their affiliated body shop was much less than I expected.

Attachments

• IMG_2143.PNG
    IMG_2143.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2138.jpg
    IMG_2138.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0
Yes, I have also the nosecone model but the brackets were pressed/glued on the bumper from factory. So if you use double sided tape it either have to be very thin or use proper glue. It’s much better fix as initially I did used this tape fix but it did not lasted long (perhaps I failed to clean the surface). The glue have to be able to attach to PPS plastic, you can see that on the photo @Huachipato provided, they have sanded the surface to make proper adhesive.

Upvote 0
I 'fixed' one of my sunken sensors using double sided tape but it only lasted maybe 9 months to a year. I then I refixed it using some black rtv I had laying around and that's been holding up great. Depending on the the sensor location you could possibly do it without removing the bumper, while not convenient or easy, it's possible. That's how I did my drivers side below the headlight. Had to remove the plastic piece near the latch mechanism but was able to put my arm down to access the sensor. I blue taped around the front bumper area to prevent a mess to my painted surface and applied the rtv thru the sensor hole to the tabs on the parking sensor. Then just applied pressure from the back side to secure it. nitryl gloves while working with rtv is always highly suggested as that stuff is a mess.

Upvote 0
I could swear that is actually double sided tape on my factory nose cone. I did buy another nose cone and 3D printed new brackets to hold the sensor in. It wasn't a specific Tesla bracket so I had to make a few adjustments to get it right - including the depth to ensure the sensor was perfectly flush with the nose cone. I ran it for over a year with no issues. Later I decided to just paint the stock one and revert back to it.

Upvote 0