Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of Refreshed MSLR vs. others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First things first, it's P100D. Tesla never made a P100. (a little house cleaning on the front end)
Since you were the one to pick at this one, I will jump in and say that Tesla never made a P100D Raven. The Raven was either Performance or Long Range, they dropped the lettering/numbering all together because all Model S's were 100 (The 100 in P100D) kwH and all had dual motors (The D in P100D), so then it was just Performance or Long Range.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Since you were the one to pick at this one, I will jump in and say that Tesla never made a P100D Raven. The Raven was either Performance or Long Range, they dropped the lettering/numbering all together because all Model S's were 100 (The 100 in P100D) kwH and all had dual motors (The D in P100D), so then it was just Performance or Long Range.
Please show me where I said "P100D Raven" in this thread or anywhere.

Please show me where I said "P100D Raven" in this thread or anywhere.
Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 6.07.09 PM.png

The way you worded that made it seem like I was calling it a P100D Raven, which I did not.
I am just not sure why you would call him out on the P100D when he very specifically asked for a comparison on the Raven Performance vs Refreshed LR? It probably would have been better to let him know they dropped the Lettering/Numbering all together. Anyway, I think we are all clear now.

I'm interested in this topic as well as I have a LR on order and there are very few reviews, performance tests, and of course no test drives available anywhere.

I have found some LR data that's promising, though, like 60-130 in the 7.5s ballpark:

That's faster than the Taycan Turbo S, which I would be more than happy with:

Holy Crap! the Plaid is TWICE as fast as the Raven Model S Performance. Damn!

The S has as much storage as the Y.
Not even close, I have both and the Y exceeds in storage by a long shot. Frunk is bigger, hatch area is close but you can get much more stuff in the Y because of the height plus that height goes all the way to the rear, sub compartment in the hatch is bigger, secondary sub compartment is non existant on the S. Right side sub compartment is not on the S either.

The S still has plenty of room for storage if there are no kids, I was rather surprised at the difference between the 2 when I finally took delivery of the S.

I do have acceleration boost on the Y but the LR S will put it to shame. It is a very fast car.

One more suggested race.

Raven P100 vs Refresh LR.

My guess is it will match or beat any Tesla but Plaid(s).

My LR Refresh is scheduled for Saturday :)

I find even my PreRefresh Raven X is butt kicking fast. But only when it comes fresh off a 100% charge on a SuperCharger. My performance Model 3 had similar behavior that it was very dependent on charge level in how much kick it had and not that much kick above 60mph.

Supposedly refresh LR is much less sensitive to speed (i.e. kick at 30,40,50,60 mph) and state of charge.
I have both a refresh lr. AND a raven performance.

The raven is faster than the lr according to my dragy

in fact the raven on winter tires in wet road not in ludicrous+ mode no launch. is quicker than the lr in drag mode with launch on dry asphalt

That is facts.

Not even close, I have both and the Y exceeds in storage by a long shot. Frunk is bigger, hatch area is close but you can get much more stuff in the Y because of the height plus that height goes all the way to the rear, sub compartment in the hatch is bigger, secondary sub compartment is non existant on the S. Right side sub compartment is not on the S either.

The S still has plenty of room for storage if there are no kids, I was rather surprised at the difference between the 2 when I finally took delivery of the S.

I do have acceleration boost on the Y but the LR S will put it to shame. It is a very fast car.
Sure 0-60 is faster on a P But how about 1/4 mile or a lap on a track or 40-80mph?

Reactions: SBDPlaid
Sure 0-60 is faster on a P But how about 1/4 mile or a lap on a track or 40-80mph?
Not really into numbers however a little research told me the refreshed LR really shines in higher speeds. Found draggy times of 10.8 sec at 130mph. Apparently this is really impressive. Also read it seems like software is holding it back in the 0-60 although it is good for 3 seconds which is way faster than I will ever need.

Weight of the Model y vs Model S is rather close however HP is 670 S, 384Y and 476 YP. AB adds 50hp so the AB version of the standard model Y comes out to 434hp. Regardless, all these cars have more power than 98% of any ICE cars out there. You need to get into M, AMG or RS packages to even come close.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I have both a refresh lr. AND a raven performance.

The raven is faster than the lr according to my dragy

in fact the raven on winter tires in wet road not in ludicrous+ mode no launch. is quicker than the lr in drag mode with launch on dry asphalt

That is facts.
Yes 0-60, but the LR is quicker 60-130 and has a higher trap speed in the 1/4 mile. Tesla is purposely holding back the LR on the launch because once it gets going it’s a quicker car all around. Also, it’s going to hold its performance better as the SOC goes down and take repeated runs much better with consistent acceleration

Reactions: mswlogo
Yes 0-60, but the LR is quicker 60-130 and has a higher trap speed in the 1/4 mile. Tesla is purposely holding back the LR on the launch because once it gets going it’s a quicker car all around. Also, it’s going to hold its performance better as the SOC goes down and take repeated runs much better with consistent acceleration
I tested my raven 1/4 mile 100% interior. (for those who knows I removed weight last summer for a few weeks to get best 1/4 slip)
10.53 @ 127.1 mph was my best ( 10.27 @ 128.7mph with weight reduction)

So while I agree the new LR will pull somewhat harder past 100mph. down below where it counts in real world driving, I sorry but the performance is more snappy

• Informative
Reactions: All In
I tested my raven 1/4 mile 100% interior. (for those who knows I removed weight last summer for a few weeks to get best 1/4 slip)

So while I agree the new LR will pull somewhat harder past 100mph. down below where it counts in real world driving, I sorry but the performance is more snappy
Yes because of the launch; LRs I’ve seen are doing 10.8 at best but trapping almost 130, and 60-130 is 1.5 seconds faster than the Raven—that’s a huge difference
A roll race from 20 would be interesting and I’m sure the LR would gap the Raven quite a bit by 100
If you still have both care to set this race up and video? 😁 Both cars equal SOC

How is the throttle response between the two cars? Every non-performance Tesla I've driven feels like it has artificial throttle lag compared to my P100D. Does that exist in the refresh LR?

How is the throttle response between the two cars? Every non-performance Tesla I've driven feels like it has artificial throttle lag compared to my P100D. Does that exist in the refresh LR?
No lag on the new LR. The acceleration is pretty amazing, and as others have noted the torque and pull from 60+ is entirely different.

Nobody ever said the MS LR was meant to be a Raven killer. That fact that it runs so close to the Raven and now is the "base" model is pretty remarkable. When you look at how much slower than the Raven the MS LR is to 60 (under ideal circumstances for the Raven), but then comes back with a higher trap speed, you know it is just crushing the Raven at higher speeds.

Throttle response is good, no lag. I agree with others that it feels a bit held back regarding the power output. It really feels like the car is unleashed at by 50 mph. When you hit the throttle at about 50-60 mph you feel the car squat to the rear and just go.

Let's be realistic, even if the MS LR isn't the top Tesla on the street, there aren't a lot of true street cars that you encounter that are going to take it ina impromptu race. Not to mention the performance doesn't seem to fall off after a few runs.

Very Interesting thread. TY

I normally buy a new vehicle every 3 years. I have not ordered a Plaid yet because of the yoke mostly. IMHO - I feel the yoke is more suited for track only. Also for normal street driving I really like the Raven Model S Performance (MSP). Going over 90 mph on the street can be quite hectic these days with all the crazy (don't give a $%%$) drivers. But for all around street driving my MSP is very nice especially with FREE supercharging (this is very nice these days as energy costs has risen SO MUCH). If Tesla puts a steering WHEEL and the new batteries in a Plaid with 20" good looking wheels, I may be tempted if the price doesn't escalate too much.

If I wanted to go to the track, the S Plaid would definitely be in my garage. If I was street driving I would look to a LR with steering wheel, new batteries and 19" tires.

Be safe !!

M

Reactions: aerodyne