Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke to Tesla this morning. They confirmed P3D- owners will get the option of the 5k refund or the PUP installed. I need to confirm whether or not installing PUP will void FUSC though.

Everyone should get an email in the next week or so with their options. That's what the rep told me.
Who did you call? number? and who did you speak with? I am not getting the same response.

A P3D- is just AWD with a software bump. That's all. The P3D- was overpriced. I was upset once I got the car and realized it had zero performance parts different from the AWD version. I think a P3D- is only worth55k honestly. I'd pay 1-2k for the software bump over AWD. At 64k I feel taken for a chump. If I had to do it over again I would've just bought the PUP in the first place.

I agree $11K is too much. Then again Tesla charged $10K for the ludicrous update on the model s I think.

I spoke to Tesla this morning. They confirmed P3D- owners will get the option of the 5k refund or the PUP installed. I need to confirm whether or not installing PUP will void FUSC though.

Everyone should get an email in the next week or so with their options. That's what the rep told me.
We will see, while I would gladly take the 5k, it feels almost too good to be true. 5k for the PUP guys is easy math, but 5k back to non PUP I don't know. I didn't buy the PUP for 5k then because I didn't think it was worth it (don't track my car I trash around in my RzR for fun), so I won't have them put it on now but I think that too is above and beyond. If they actually did this Tesla would pretty much be the best car dealer ever even if it costs your free supercharging.

Much more likely P3D+ will get 5k back and P3D- will get nothing but buyers remorse.

Free PUP while keeping FUSC, tempting (especially if you keep the Aero wheels to sell)... Losing FUSC, take the $5k and add better brakes and wheels IMO.
That's a good point. It's partly why I didn't want the PUP in the first place. Didn't seem like a real value. But then when I ordered mine in June is was described as a purely aesthetic upgrade. They hadn't clarified the brakes were diff. I'm torn now. I mainly want PUP for the brakes and the top speed bump as I do want to track the car on occasion. But I also have been looking to get the Titan7 18" wheels also. Even with PUP I think I'd still go for the 18s. I much rather have the lighter wheels than the 20s.

5k makes sense for P3D+ owners.

Not sure 5k makes sense for P3D- owners

If it makes sense to any P buyer it makes sense to all - the price of the car is now $5k cheaper so all of us paid more or got less than they could today.

You could argue that if Tesla offered to add equipment to P cars to get them to P+ (I refuse to acknowledge anything negative about my car and thus it not a minus anything) the action

- could easily cost more than $5k in logistics cause it's parts and labor and scheduling and a distraction to moving onward with new cars
- may not be wanted by those of us that didn't want to be forced into 20" rims in the first place so remains a non-option

I have mixed feelings on 20+ pages of feedback here. I really feel like it was a bit of a bonehead move in how it happened. There is a very real deprecation that existing owners face, depending on how it plays out. Tesla held a lot of people's money for a long time. I'd really hope that the minimal Tesla step is every single un-delivered Performance model 3 is immediately discounted the 5k plus taxes to folks where Tesla has had their money ..

I feel like it's a snub to those that ordered months back, only to receive their car days before a big price drop. Something about being penalized for early faith and support bugs me even though I can't explain exactly why. I ordered the instant I could

If unlimited supercharging is worth $5 why isn't that on the spec sheet for anyone to buy now?

And meanwhile where are all those badges and spoilers?

There is one piece of math that Tesla has to consider before rendering a final verdict on how to handle 3P- cases.

PUP parts is less than $5,000.

It may be cheaper for Tesla to retrofit a P- car than pay the $5,000.

Or they may offer $5,000 in credit to some other service.

Writing a check is maximum damage to Tesla.

Anything else is less than maximum damage to Tesla.

A P3D- is just AWD with a software bump. That's all. The P3D- was overpriced. I was upset once I got the car and realized it had zero performance parts different from the AWD version. I think a P3D- is only worth55k honestly. I'd pay 1-2k for the software bump over AWD.

Sure, it is just software, that is true (still waiting for confirmation on the existence of double burn-in!!!), but the effect is real - people pay for software! Everyone is different, but to me the P3D- seems like the limited edition more practical (for now) car to have:
-Track mode added unexpectedly (bonus!)
-Efficient
-Versatile tires, cheaper replacements
-Very good brakes (though not trackable)
-Fits wide range of aftermarket wheels
-Better ground clearance than P3D+

The only thing that would make it bad/less desirable in future would be if Tesla boosts the AWD performance (which I doubt they will, but...)

Personally if the track mode had been available at my order time I would have gone with P3D-, and I would have been mostly ok getting the 5k back, and a little sad about giving up FUSC. As it is, I have a P3D+ on order and have to decide between FUSC and a true 5k discount. And the P3D- doesn’t exist, so I can’t switch to it even though I’d like to, since it would be 10k less than my original order price.

As far as overpriced...notwithstanding generally obscene Tesla prices, it seems P3D- was well positioned in the price lineup after accounting for the 5k (not counting sales tax impact) discount. We can argue about the value of the software but I imagine it depends on the person.

Reactions: juanmedina
Free PUP while keeping FUSC, tempting (especially if you keep the Aero wheels to sell)... Losing FUSC, take the $5k and add better brakes and wheels IMO.
If this was offered to P3D- then free performance upgrade package would be the better deal since you still have FUSC. But this means P3D+ owners should not give up FUSC and still get $5000 refund. Even then the P3D- owners get ahead because I doubt they have to return the tires and wheels that came with it since they have been using it already. They can sell their used wheels and tires or even recycle TMP sensors and still come out ahead of P3D+ owners.

If this was offered to P3D- then free performance upgrade package would be the better deal since you still have FUSC. But this means P3D+ owners should not give up FUSC and still get $5000 refund. Even then the P3D- owners get ahead because I doubt they have to return the tires and wheels that came with it since they have been using it already. They can sell their used wheels and tires or even recycle TMP sensors and still come out ahead of P3D+ owners.
I'm sure tesla would keep the parts. I don't think any refunds will be given to P3D- owners so don't worry. We are just going to have to eat that 20k first week depreciation. But hey it will be mitigated by the 7500 tax credit right?

I can't stand watching my money just get flushed down the toilet like this. I guess I'm just not tesla owner material.

Sure, it is just software, that is true (still waiting for confirmation on the existence of double burn-in!!!), but the effect is real - people pay for software! Everyone is different, but to me the P3D- seems like the limited edition more practical (for now) car to have:
-Track mode added unexpectedly (bonus!)
-Efficient
-Versatile tires, cheaper replacements
-Very good brakes (though not trackable)
-Fits wide range of aftermarket wheels
-Better ground clearance than P3D+

The only thing that would make it bad/less desirable in future would be if Tesla boosts the AWD performance (which I doubt they will, but...)

Personally if the track mode had been available at my order time I would have gone with P3D-, and I would have been mostly ok getting the 5k back, and a little sad about giving up FUSC. As it is, I have a P3D+ on order and have to decide between FUSC and a true 5k discount. And the P3D- doesn’t exist, so I can’t switch to it even though I’d like to, since it would be 10k less than my original order price.

As far as overpriced...notwithstanding generally obscene Tesla prices, it seems P3D- was well positioned in the price lineup after accounting for the 5k (not counting sales tax impact) discount. We can argue about the value of the software but I imagine it depends on the person.
Except when people refer to Performance now, they're only thinking of one version. No more +/- lingo. That's the way it should be. All - owners should go for the PUP to align with the Performance line, otherwise you're really just driving the AWD Exploit.

Just to trigger Fred some if he is stealthily reading this thread. ;)

2l4fde.jpg

'Without the upgraded wheels and tires, the Model 3 Performance felt awkward and, really, a little scary on a twisty mountain road,' he said in a review.

Since I have a performance 3 w/o the 20" rims I will argue that if this is true it is only because of the 18" all season tire choice. My car is running the (much less compromised) 19" OEM wheels and tires and it handles nicely I think...

There is one piece of math that Tesla has to consider before rendering a final verdict on how to handle 3P- cases.

PUP parts is less than $5,000.

It may be cheaper for Tesla to retrofit a P- car than pay the $5,000.

Or they may offer $5,000 in credit to some other service.

Writing a check is maximum damage to Tesla.

Anything else is less than maximum damage to Tesla.
Maybe it's maximum damage maybe not, the P3D- might not cost much more than an AWD to make. they give you potentially better binned motors and an $11k software unlock.

I think they would rather write a 5k check than retrofit a car, but id be more than grateful for either option!

They could also offer eap for those that want to add it. That does not really cost them anything.

They probably should have reduced the price of PUP by 2500 it so but no FUSC. that would have been enough to entice people to buy it and no one would have freaked out. Too late now!

I have a P3D+ on order, still 2.5 weeks out from delivery. Haven't seen the price chance on my account page, curious if this is just a website mistake! They still have the 18" wheels on there you just can't select.
I called Tesla and they said they did the adjustments on their end. They checked my account and it was fixed to the lower cost of the p3. No mistake. It’s real

I paid for $5k and didn't get stuff as of what, Friday I would have got but could today (note the website now is misleading cause the 7500 + other hopeful discounts/rebates are applied) would get for free

car.png

Much more likely P3D+ will get 5k back and P3D- will get nothing but buyers remorse.

I completely disagree with the above - $ was paid, either a rebate is due or it's not... on that note, perhaps some is due to AWD folks who also had crazy price jumps, don't know..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at Oct 28, 11.37.00 AM .png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at Oct 28, 11.37.00 AM .png
    761.3 KB · Views: 40