Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4) We still got the free lifetime supercharging on two vehicles, which I figure is worth, well, just about $10K minimum. So that's a draw.
Unless you are both traveling salesmen, there is zero chance that unlimited supercharging is worth that much. On a P3D+ with summer tires, $5,000 is right around 65,000 miles of supercharging in California. It's over 100k where I live. The only cases where it's worth that much money is if you don't have home charging at all, or you drive like 10k miles a month on the road.

I called Tesla and was told they are marking my account as wanting the refund and that Tesla is working to get the backend setup to see who wants refunds vs unlimited supercharging. Those that elect for the refund will receive a check. I was told they have no idea when that might be.

I wonder which will come first, a refund or my spoiler :D

Called and got the same response. Marked my account as refund requested.

Unless you are both traveling salesmen, there is zero chance that unlimited supercharging is worth that much. On a P3D+ with summer tires, $5,000 is right around 65,000 miles of supercharging in California. It's over 100k where I live. The only cases where it's worth that much money is if you don't have home charging at all, or you drive like 10k miles a month on the road.

Costs Tesla more than what it's worth to you.

There is also no time limit on how many years you may own the car. It's pretty much open ended. 65,000 miles should be barely broken in for an EV.

Lose lose situation. I’m in Econ and need to solve adverse selection issues when needing to decide price points and promotions.

Those who won’t spend 5000 in supercharging - say spends 1500. 5000 credit is a 3500 loss to Tesla.

Those who spend 7500 in supercharging will know to keep supercharging. 2500 loss to Tesla.

The latter example is even more dastardly because people will feel compelled to use SC more than they normally would have. See “tragedy of the commons”.

To use a medical analogy, the healthy people have left the insurance market.

Makes complete sense. Independent of the Supercharging finances, I do think Elon started with too rich an offer. There were plenty of options available that I think would’ve satisfied owners that wouldn’t require Tesla returning money.

that's a pretty hostile and discrediting post. Maybe you should take some of your own advice

Explain? I identified every stakeholder that Tesla has to work with.

When you brush off $10K equity loss over two Performance 3’s overnight as “pain” that tells me everything when reading a person - even over the internet.

Scale matters by the way. $500 “loss” off seats overnight, acceptable. $5000 loss over the course of a year - acceptable.

$5000 loss overnight - not acceptable.

Intelligence is arguing things like big picture, Osborne effects, rational thought making.

Wisdom is relating to people.

sorry, didn't read all the posts,
but isn't it clear that TSLA wanted
$5K of your/our FED TX Credit?
in other words, you want P3D+
pay $5k now, get FULL FED TX Credit!
later we need sales numbers, so we'll
take the $5k off the table!

Lose lose situation. I’m in Econ and need to solve adverse selection issues when needing to decide price points and promotions.

Those who won’t spend 5000 in supercharging - say spends 1500. 5000 credit is a 3500 loss to Tesla.

Those who spend 7500 in supercharging will know to keep supercharging. 2500 loss to Tesla.

The latter example is even more dastardly because people will feel compelled to use SC more than they normally would have. See “tragedy of the commons”.

To use a medical analogy, the healthy people have left the insurance market.

Just thinking: Is it possible Elon knows something we don't? For example, FSD coming sooner than expected in which they're projecting a rapid increase in long-distance travel? Case in point, Supercharging isn't worth anywhere near $5,000 to me now, but I'd probably do a lot more trips if I could put the family in the car and drive to Disney World overnight. Do I think this is likely? Nah. But we shouldn't completely disregard the fact Elon has an intimate knowledge of his finances and he's the one who made the offer.

Reactions: MXWing
Costs Tesla more than what it's worth to you.

There is also no time limit on how many years you may own the car. It's pretty much open ended. 65,000 miles should be barely broken in for an EV.
Sure, you could keep the car for an excessively long time, but you're still never going to break even unless you're doing something like I mentioned before. Let's say I use 5,000 miles of supercharging a year (way more than I'll ever actually use). That means I'll "break even" in 13 years. If you just invest the $5,000, after 13 years at 8% (quite conservative) it's going to be worth over $13k.

Just thinking: Is it possible Elon knows something we don't? For example, FSD coming sooner than expected in which they're projecting a rapid increase in long-distance travel? Case in point, Supercharging isn't worth anywhere near $5,000 to me now, but I'd probably do a lot more trips if I could put the family in the car and drive to Disney World overnight. Do I think this is likely? Nah. But we shouldn't completely disregard the fact Elon has an intimate knowledge of his finances and he's the one who made the offer.

Based on Elon’s whip sawing back and forth and exit of Twitter I do not believe this was a well vetted decision.

I think Tesla had to solve the problem of too many MR orders relative to P orders while also wanting to boost production.

A well meaning billionaire with FU money decides to just hey.. we can make more cars if we streamline AND make it cheaper for new people!!
What the f can go wrong?!!?! Win win!!

If free supercharging was truly that important, there are a lot of CPOs and Tesla’s in the secondary market with access to that feature you can buy.

Based on Elon’s whip sawing back and forth and exit of Twitter I do not believe this was a well vetted decision.

I think Tesla had to solve the problem of too many MR orders relative to P orders while also wanting to boost production.

A well meaning billionaire with FU money decides to just hey.. we can make more cars if we streamline AND make it cheaper for new people!!
What the f can go wrong?!!?! Win win!!

If free supercharging was truly that important, there are a lot of CPOs and Tesla’s in the secondary market with access to that feature you can buy.

Having watched it unfold on Twitter last night, I think what you're saying is more likely. On the flip side, Elon does seem to have a pretty good grasp on expenses. But, yeah, Occam's Razor: He was trying to solve the problem quickly as it was going viral and didn't put a huge amount of thought into it.

Reactions: MXWing
What # is everyone calling? What department even takes this kind of call?

(877) 798-3752

I hit #2, and then #3 I think (the "question about your account" option - that was the closest option).

It took me all of two minutes to get a human and I got a similar response as others. Didn't think to check this thread first, haha.

She said they're in the process of setting up an automated process to handle those and an e-mail should be going out in the next few weeks. I guess I'll just patiently wait for that. Definitely looking forward to $5k off, assuming that's legit!

Reactions: SigNC
What # is everyone calling? What department even takes this kind of call?
You could send them a message via your Tesla account ask for a refund; this is what I did. Tesla typically responds to them within two to three working days. My time is too valuable to be wasting on hold; it is precious time that I could be spending reading this thread in its entirety.

@MXWing props to you.

This goes against my belief that social media is a social disease.

I've been in tech for years. I get it, Tesla is a tech company. When someone likes me buys tech you do it with the understanding that the tech comes with no promises, including price. You do so knowing that the thing you just paid for will be half the cost soon. And the new thing, will have twice the processing power.

In all my years, I've not once bought something then a month later the price was significantly less.

We took delivery of our P3D 9-21-18. Now a month later, the price is $5k less. We paid for FSD. Now it's not even an option. So from my keyboard, we flushed $10k down the toilet - sort of.

re: $5k price drop.

There's a thread about this on another site, here:
Tesla reduces price of Model 3 Performance [Updated: Elon Musk makes it right]

Assuming the comments aren't bots/homies, there's stuff to glean.

We got the full $7.5k rebate. So that helps. And we got free supercharging for life, that helps.

When it was announced that the rebates were going to be cut in half, my first thought was Elon would lower the price by that much. So I expected a price change. Did I expect it a month later? No. Am I pissed? I was yesterday. But then I practiced being present. What's done is done, wasting time in the past is nowhere. I was happy with the price @ $80k.

Does it cause me to tell others not to buy a Tesla? No. The mission of electric cars is ultra-important - for the economy, for the planet. Go Elon.

re: FSD
If Elon ends up giving it away, I'm fine with that too. But I think he should do something for those that ponied up.

##
So Elon, in the unlikely chance you're reading this, here's my thoughts.

Would you get it together and get me my rear badge and spoiler? That was a big deal to me. Like, soon?

And how 'bout this, too, Elon? We live in the mountains of CO. The 20" stock tires are a hit on range. 20" snow tires are a big hit on range. How 'bout making a 19" tire/wheel set that'd fit on my car? Now I'm getting better range. And, if it does turn out that you give away FSD, cut us a deal on the tire/wheel set.

Something else, Elon. I think you're guilty of truth in advertising on range. The website says 310 miles. Phooey. You need to do a much better job of telling people how range works. Do a better job of telling 'em about heat and cold, how both affect range. Tell people that they should calculate range based on an 80% charge, and not dropping below 20% charge. Doing so is being straight up, it's integrity.

Elon, you're going to go down as one of the great minds. You already are, one of the great minds. We bought your car because we needed one. It's a little above our pay grade, but we love it. Your car rocks. We love helping the planet.

One more. You ever called your company, the phone number on the website? Terrible. My experience has been that your tech support is worse than Apple's tech support. Now that I've bought the car my rep doesn't want to have anything to do with me. I tried getting a hold of finance, because we still don't have the registration docs. They basically told me to pound sand. I don't like that. No car, is worth going through lousy service to drive it. We paid $80k for your car.

Listen to your customers, Elon. They're all you have.

Peace and love,

You could send them a message via your Tesla account ask for a refund; this is what I did. Tesla typically responds to them within two to three working days. My time is too valuable to be wasting on hold; it is precious time that I could be spending reading this thread in its entirety.

I'll try but I've sent multiple question in via that before and have not received a response to a single one.