Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All Model 3s have Brembo brakes (I think Model S/X too). I also think that the original plan for the P was to make it a power and appearance package only like it is on the Model S/X. Otherwise why would Elon have said that it would be additional complexity to have red brakes? Someone should call up Tesla and try to order the P3D- off menu. Then you could make an argument that P3D- owners would get the current pricing just like P3D+ owners do. I doubt they'd do it for $5k less than the P3D. The difference in cost to Tesla is way smaller than that. I bet it's less than $1k different.
The issue Stealth owners have with what has gone on since Oct 26 is not about Tesla's cost. Nobody is debating that Tesla's cost difference for PUP vs. non-PUP P is way less than $5k. I think we all agree on that. The issue is with PRICING and VALUE, which is different from cost. The package was priced at a non-negotiable $5k. Even in the Tesla-verse where product/pricing updates happen real time, that seemed secure for at least 6 months. People made buying decisions based upon that price, and based upon very scanty information about the real guts of the PUP... nobody knew if it was purely cosmetic or actually performant until cars started shipping. So, we made a decision either to pay $5k for the PUP, or not. On October 26th, price was reduced from $5k to $0. Less than 60 days after the car started shipping in volume. Surprising everybody. Shortly after that, PUP buyers were retroactively offered $5k refund. The Stealth buyers were offered nothing, and are ticked and have every right to be. They have a car that will have to compete on the "pre-owned" or trade-in market at some point with PUP cars. And, depending on what actually happens with track mode, they may have a car that - regardless of what aftermarket equipment they put on it - will be missing valuable performance capabilities. They also made a PRICE vs VALUE decision based upon information that was CHANGED "too much, too soon". Academic discussion of Tesla's incremental cost to build the PUP is just not relevant. Heck, while we are at it, let's also NOT discuss Tesla's cost to produce the $11k software switch that turns an AWD into a D. Because it is not about COST but about PRICE vs. VALUE.

I don't know this tweet seemed pretty official.
Tesla on Twitter
That tweet is very old and represents the initial intention months before the price change. Elon more recently tweeted these two, as a concession to angered P3D- posts.
Track mode for P3D-.JPG

Track mode for P3D-2.png

I agree that they change features way more than most auto makers. But they announce new models months in advance just like every other auto manufacturer. The Model 3 was announced years in advance! The AWD was also announced months in advance. They make all sorts of feature announcements in advance (FSD, tow hitch, air suspension, etc.).
Other car manufacturers change pricing way more often than Tesla does. The effective prices that the dealership pays changes constantly and the price that the consumer pays does as well.
I think we are talking past each other.

This has nothing to do with new models. It has to do with product and pricing changes. I've owned >25 vehicles in my life, and have owned Tesla cars since 2012. I've been a gearhead for almost 50 years and had subscriptions for most of that period to the auto mags. I've worked in auto dealerships. I can tell you for absolute certain that the sales models are totally different.

Sure, other manufacturers change their pricing to dealers frequently. But the price to the buyer is whatever you can haggle around MSRP (which doesn't change within a model year) minus any advertised customer incentives.

Tesla has a fixed price. Other than purchasing inventory cars where a mileage discount is applied, the MSRP price is the price. But Tesla changes that price whenever they want. Nothing to do with model years or annual cycles. That's a different model. It just is.

Now if you want to say that you can get $5k in variance of price across dealers on the same vehicle in the dealership model, I'd totally agree with you. But that's different from the $5k price change Tesla makes in 1 day in their direct sales, fixed price model.

Reactions: Roys3
I think we are talking past each other.

This has nothing to do with new models. It has to do with product and pricing changes. I've owned >25 vehicles in my life, and have owned Tesla cars since 2012. I've been a gearhead for almost 50 years and had subscriptions for most of that period to the auto mags. I've worked in auto dealerships. I can tell you for absolute certain that the sales models are totally different.

Sure, other manufacturers change their pricing to dealers frequently. But the price to the buyer is whatever you can haggle around MSRP (which doesn't change within a model year) minus any advertised customer incentives.

Tesla has a fixed price. Other than purchasing inventory cars where a mileage discount is applied, the MSRP price is the price. But Tesla changes that price whenever they want. Nothing to do with model years or annual cycles. That's a different model. It just is.

Now if you want to say that you can get $5k in variance of price across dealers on the same vehicle in the dealership model, I'd totally agree with you. But that's different from the $5k price change Tesla makes in 1 day in their direct sales, fixed price model.
I agree that no haggle pricing is a different model (a model that traditional manufacturers have also tried!). My point is that consumer prices change all the time with Tesla AND with traditional dealerships.
Normally the trend of the pricing changes does follow the model year but it doesn't always. It all depends on supply and demand.

Yes, they'll get it... after they get this
Tesla on Twitter

(so they didn't have to have originally purchased the + package)
The confusion here is that all these tweets are taken out of the time context. Look at the date of that tweet. Yes initially Elon said that he would provide aftermarket parts to upgrade - to + so track mode can be provided. But that was way before the whole price change event. At that time the plan was to only give track mode to P3D+.

The price change event changed everything. The uproar and discontent caused a plan change and Elon dropped the idea of making Track Mode exclusive to the + but instead making it available to all performance models. He also dropped the idea of making + parts available after purchase. My guess is that they are probably testing Track Mode on the P- to make sure there are no problems. Customer service also told me in an email that Track Mode is to come for P-. Here is a recent email response I got. Quote (dated 12/13/18):

"We are just as excited as you to roll out Track Mode! We plan on making the Track Mode feature available to all of our Performance Model 3 customers! Keep your ears to the ground for further communication from the Tesla Team!"

The confusion here is that all these tweets are taken out of the time context. Look at the date of that tweet. Yes initially Elon said that he would provide aftermarket parts to upgrade - to + so track mode can be provided. But that was way before the whole price change event. At that time the plan was to only give track mode to P3D+.

The price change event changed everything. The uproar and discontent caused a plan change and Elon dropped the idea of making Track Mode exclusive to the + but instead making it available to all performance models. He also dropped the idea of making + parts available after purchase. My guess is that they are probably testing Track Mode on the P- to make sure there are no problems. Customer service also told me in an email that Track Mode is to come for P-. Here is a recent email response I got. Quote (dated 12/13/18):

"We are just as excited as you to roll out Track Mode! We plan on making the Track Mode feature available to all of our Performance Model 3 customers! Keep your ears to the ground for further communication from the Tesla Team!"
You'll have to let us know when you get it...