Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you read the article they were clearly tuning it with the upgraded tires and race brake pads. Maybe the version they released was tuned differently? People have driven it with upgraded tires and coilovers and had good results. I don't think this is nearly as complicated as everyone is making it out to be. Most people drive on the track with zero driver assistance features.
So that leads one to wonder why the delay on the non-pup version. What software features do they need to add?

I got this last week. Implies hardware is coming. I read into it that hardware will be required for Track Mode. I'll use my 5k money to buy it.

We currently do not have a retrofit plan available for the Model 3 Performance Upgrades Package. Please keep an eye on our website for future updates regarding this!

I thought the theory was that the bigger brakes have a thermistor to monitor temp. That would provide closed loop performance monitoring regardless of brake pad / rotor upgrades. The standard brakes do not. Hardware could be as simple as the addition of a thermistor. Hopefully the wire is in the harness.

Reactions: Perry
I thought the theory was that the bigger brakes have a thermistor to monitor temp. That would provide closed loop performance monitoring regardless of brake pad / rotor upgrades. The standard brakes do not. Hardware could be as simple as the addition of a thermistor. Hopefully the wire is in the harness.
Never heard of this. Seems like it would be a good idea to have regardless just in case someone charges to 100% at the top of a hill and attempts to drive down.

So TM for Stealth cars will require hardware upgrades from Tesla costing $5000?
-Now where is that check they just sent me
IF that is the case, WHICH WE DO NOT KNOW:

You will end up with a windfall of $5k worth of performance equipment for free (vs what you paid for the car). Or, you can elect to keep the car Stealth and forgo Track Mode, and get an unexpected (at least when you ordered) $5k rebate. Either way, you are coming out way ahead of the value equation you agreed to when you signed the purchase paperwork, because Tesla is retroactively passing along their price drop to you. Plus, you are getting a free "do over" on your decision not to purchase the PUP.

OTOH, if it turns out Track Mode really is going to be deployed to all Ps without need for hardware, you are doing even better! You can either keep Stealth with Track Mode and save $5k windfall, or spend the $5k on either Tesla's hardware, or your choice of hardware.

I'm getting tired of so much winning. (also getting tired of so much whining)

Erm, between the discounts I got from Tesla, state and federal rebates/credits AND now a $5k refund I got my P3D+ for $59400. How much better can this deal get?

$5,500 price adjustment (if you had white seats), no tax on that amount, less registration fees and keeping FUSC if you hit the optimal timing.

That is before your other incentives.

Oh yes the deal got much better if you played Tesla's best price at delivery structure.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Wow congrats to all P3D steal owners.

I guess if you bug Tesla enough, it works out. In the future, however, don't count on it too much. ;)

I am still ambivalent about getting refund or keeping FUSC. If Tesla is not keeping reintroducing FUSC, then it may be worth it as it cannot be bought or chosen. But based on what Tesla has done so far, it will be back again when the Federal Tax Credit is reduced after Dec. 31st. Very likely they will pull the same card again. It's really getting old.

I will wait another 6~7 mo. and then decide to get the $5K refund.

If there is no due date for getting the refund, maybe I can ask for the refund $5K after 2 years in exchange for losing FUSC?

Reactions: MXWing

I guess if you bug Tesla enough, it works out. In the future, however, don't count on it too much. ;)

I am still ambivalent about getting refund or keeping FUSC. If Tesla is not keeping reintroducing FUSC, then it may be worth it as it cannot be bought or chosen. But based on what Tesla has done so far, it will be back again when the Federal Tax Credit is reduced after Dec. 31st. Very likely they will pull the same card again. It's really getting old.

If there is no due date for getting the refund, maybe I can ask for the refund $5K after 2 years in exchange for losing FUSC?

Tesla did get really stingy with supercharging. Going from free to 400kwh in credits, to 1 year to 6 months is practically neutralizing the freebie.

Some people might not even get 20 bucks worth of charging in 6 months time.

3rd row Model Y will require no incentives to sell. Tax credit or FUSC - Tesla just has to survive another year off the 3.

Tesla really should give free FUSC on the top end X and S. Those spending 130K are not going to be squeezing out every penny in SC.

But they will pay 10K or more to feel exclusive and have “free” SC.

Elon has said it will never be back. He can always change his mind. I can see how if the supercharger to owner ratio passes a certain point and owners with less expensive cars or who live in apartments/condo's utilize superchargers to offset costs or due to lack of home charging could make supercharging an absolute nightmare until supply catches up with demand. ...which could take many many years. To prevent this, fees for charging would help. If it didn't help enough, then to further reduce demand, he would increase the KW fee. He could even change the price structure where local convenience charging costs more than "travel" charging....charging much more for both for a while then "discounting" travel charging as a "service"

On the other hand his motivation could be simply to dissuade us from taking advantage of the 5K refund by making free supercharging sound like its a privilege that once given up, can't be bought back at any price.

danged if I know. I guess I'll just sit tight until some due date ultimatum arises.