Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition Tesla to make the Model 3 Performance 0-60 <3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think it‘s possible and will it happen?
No. The Taycan is not a Model 3 competitor, it is in a completely different price class. See
Porsche’s Taycan is a sensational six-figure electric sports car
Quote: “the Taycan will begin its production life as two variants: the Taycan Turbo and the Taycan Turbo S, which run a staggering $150,900 and $185,000, respectively... Porsche has said it wants to offer versions of the Taycan that cost under $100,000. But even if or when that happens, the car is never going to be a mass-market sensation.”

When Porsche gets around to offering the base version of the Taycan, it will still be more expensive than a base Model S and much more expensive than a Model 3 Performance.

The Taycan will likely have a small impact on Model S Performance sales, but the S is not a “sports car” and offers a lot more passenger room and cargo space. It is a different class of vehicle.

The upcoming Tesla Roadster is a Taycan competitor though it is significantly more expensive (and a lot quicker). I hope that the Taycan is a success and that it drives Tesla to reduce the base Roadster cost.

No. The Taycan is not a Model 3 competitor, it is in a completely different price class.

It seems like you‘re responding to a different thread. I didn‘t ask anything about the price, of which I‘m aware. The question is whether Tesla will try to push the Model 3 performance 0-60 below 3s, which seems physically possible and would not not be shocking to see happen. I understand that the Porsche has a lot of equipment that is well outside the model 3 price range, and my question isn’t about that (for eg. I‘m not asking if Tesla will add a dynamic spoiler that can be used for air braking)

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Tesla does have an upgrade, it's called Model S. It will get you similar 0-60 with an extra 100 miles of range for half the price of the Taycan Turbo.

Again, this is not the question I asked. Also, it is ridiculous to directly compare the Taycan overall to either the S or 3. The S, however, is not a sports car in any sense other than straight line acceleration.

The question is whether Tesla will try to push the Model 3 performance 0-60 below 3s, which seems physically possible and would not not be shocking to see happen. I understand that the Porsche has a lot of equipment that is well outside the model 3 price range, and my question isn’t about that
Sorry if I was not clear. I was responding to your question by explaining that since the Model 3 and the Taycan are not competitors in my opinion, Tesla is not going to improve the Model 3 just because the Taycan is now available. Here is what you wrote:
Now that we know the non-S Taycan will do 0-60 in 3s, I‘m starting a thread to petition Tesla to get the performance trim 0-60 under 3s
You appear to be saying that the Taycan is a competitor to the Model 3. I’m saying that are not in the same class by any stretch of the imagination.

The base Taycan price has not been officially announced but it is highly likely that it will be tens of thousands of dollars over what a Performance Model 3 costs. And the base Taycan will have much less range, will be only fractionally quicker, and offer less interior space and less cargo space.

Now that we know the non-S Taycan will do 0-60 in 3s, I‘m starting a thread to petition Tesla to get the performance trim 0-60 under 3s (Inspired by the AWD performance upgrade thread).

Do you think it‘s possible and will it happen?

I'm pretty sure that they have it all software locked and will magically provide it in the next few days.

There are laws of physics here. Batteries can only put out so much power. Take a look at the Taycan's battery pack voltage and current capabilities.

I’m of the opinion that the only way we’ll see 0-60 in under 3s is through adding an updated motor and inverter configuration. The P3D is almost outputting near the Max that the architecture was designed for.

So if Tesla takes action on your petition it probably won’t make you happy.

I just noticed that Tesla has removed the Model S Performance version that did 0-60 in 3 seconds and now the Performance S includes Ludicrous Mode for 100k.. So 2.4 seconds to 60 and 345 miles range for 100k.. What was Porsche making again? An outdated garage ornament? Sure the Porsche has a bit more ability on a road course than the S, but what percentage of Taycan buyers are going to track them and make use of this?

Maybe Tesla will bump the 3P to 3.0 flat just to annoy Porsche now that the S has vacated that position.

I just noticed that Tesla has removed the Model S Performance version that did 0-60 in 3 seconds and now the Performance S includes Ludicrous Mode for 100k.. So 2.4 seconds to 60 and 345 miles range for 100k.. What was Porsche making again?

A vastly better handling car with a much nicer interior that's actually competent on a track for more than 1 lap?

They certainly charge more for that, and offer less interior space while doing it... but that's the same business model as basically every Porsche made for decades and they seem to sell ok doing it.

As a newly minted Model 3 Performance owner I would gladly accept an OTA update that makes the car quicker but I wouldn’t pay a single penny for it. At 3.2 seconds 0-60 it is already stupid quick (quicker than any car I’ve ever owned previously). Free: sure, bring it on. Personally, I’d rather Tesla’s efforts be directed into more meaningful pursuits (customer service, build quality, usable features, etc). But, yeah, I’d take it, even though the need for it or the rationale for implementation doesn’t seem to be there IMO.

I think if Tesla can get more out of the Model 3, without affecting reliability, they absolutely will. I wouldn't be surprised if someone eventually offers a "tune" at the expense of your warranty to do just that.

I'm not sure Tesla's motivation would be to match the performance of a vehicle that costs nearly 3x as much, however.

I think if Tesla can get more out of the Model 3, without affecting reliability, they absolutely will. I wouldn't be surprised if someone eventually offers a "tune" at the expense of your warranty to do just that.

I'm not sure Tesla's motivation would be to match the performance of a vehicle that costs nearly 3x as much, however.

Yeah, I'd say its super unlikely they can just tack on a bunch more power. I think the whole '5%' thing got everyone excited, but it was most likely them being cautious initially knowing they can bump power down the road and be a hero. The data they were pulling from the fleet must have looked like it had enough room for it. You can't just keep adding power over the air, at some point its not possible without adding voltage or changing the hardware. Based on the power curve from the performance model, I think they're basically there. They already run the hardware WAY harder than anyone else, which will without a doubt negatively impact long term reliability. The only question is if the thing is really designed to tolerate the 1,000,000 miles they claim, how much it matters. The amount of cars that are going to see more than a few hundred thousand is super low, and those cars are probably more likely to be driven gently. Not too many people are going to be putting huge track miles on the car, but it would be interesting to see how those cars hold up long term.

Either way, the hardware they shipped has very real physical limits. The closer to the limit, the less reliable it tends to be. That's basically how it works. Now, if you never dip into the throttle it wont make any difference, but they also have to warranty the cars that get driven hard. And stuff breaking after a few times on a track looks bad, so it needs to tolerate it. If this was any other manufacturer, they would probably have shipped M3 with 1/2 the power to be comfortable with the margins. The motor in the Leaf can probably handle around 3x what its being shipped with, but they just don't run it on the edge. That and the battery probably wouldn't be too thrilled with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: moltenfire
You'd need more kWh to reduce 0-60 to 3sec. Creative firmware or adding more motors or better inverters* won't get you there. The bottleneck is the battery.

*Sure, you can push the existing packs to discharge faster (higher C-rates) but that starts to reduce the longevity of the battery. If you don't want to trade off battery longevity for more performance, you'll need more cells to distribute that discharge.

You'd need more kWh to reduce 0-60 to 3sec. Creative firmware or adding more motors or better inverters* won't get you there. The bottleneck is the battery.

*Sure, you can push the existing packs to discharge faster (higher C-rates) but that starts to reduce the longevity of the battery. If you don't want to trade off battery longevity for more performance, you'll need more cells to distribute that discharge.

They can use a launch control to preload the powertrain and launch with some torque of the line.

I think if the new BMW M3 beats the Model 3 they will do an update.