Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E EV2A rate went up by 20% March 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a rate change on June 1, 2023. EV2-A Off-Peak is now closer to $0.25/kWh than $0.26/kWh that it was. (R) = Reduced. We don't typically see this notation on PG&E tariff sheets... (I) is much more common. ;)

View attachment 945645
I'm on SVCE. I previously was on EV-A for years and then added a couple of PowerWalls last year and now have paired storage. My monthly PG&E bill says my rate plan is "NEM E-EV".

This may be a dumb question, but do the TOU windows for the EV2 schedule apply to "NEM E-EV"? My monthly bill still shows off peak, partial peak and peak TOU usage and rates for SVCE, but of course it doesn't specify the time windows for each (and the detail on the PG&E side doesn't specify the time windows either). When I'm editing the settings on my Tesla app for the PowerWalls, the time periods shown for EV2 rate structure have what I think are now outdated time periods, i.e., with off peak from 11 p.m. until 7 a.m. I just want to make sure my settings for the PowerWall are correct and up to date and suspect they are not.

Quick update/edit: I checked my account info on PG&E's website which says I'm still on the EV-A plan with its TOU periods, which are quite a bit different than EV2A. AFAIK the Tesla Powerwalls don't have a pre-programmed setting for the EV-A rate, so I manually programmed my two PWs for these TOU periods. My original solar install was in July 2016, and my two PWs were installed early in 2022. Maybe I still have a little time left on EV-A for reasons I don't understand.

Quick update/edit: I checked my account info on PG&E's website which says I'm still on the EV-A plan with its TOU periods, which are quite a bit different than EV2A. AFAIK the Tesla Powerwalls don't have a pre-programmed setting for the EV-A rate, so I manually programmed my two PWs for these TOU periods. My original solar install was in July 2016, and my two PWs were installed early in 2022. Maybe I still have a little time left on EV-A for reasons I don't understand.
Since you have Powerwalls, you should be on NEM-PS billing with the letter size black and white bill. The header section has "Rate Schedule". Mine says "EV2A/NEMPS". The SVCE section of my PG&E "Blue Bill" says "Rate Schedule: NEM E-EV2-A". So, there is a good chance that you might still be on EV-A. Lucky you. I was kicked out of EV-A in 2019 and now the majority of my solar exports only earn Off-Peak credits.

Since you have Powerwalls, you should be on NEM-PS billing with the letter size black and white bill. The header section has "Rate Schedule". Mine says "EV2A/NEMPS". The SVCE section of my PG&E "Blue Bill" says "Rate Schedule: NEM E-EV2-A". So, there is a good chance that you might still be on EV-A. Lucky you. I was kicked out of EV-A in 2019 and now the majority of my solar exports only earn Off-Peak credits.
I am indeed on NEM-PS billing. I just checked the black and white bill and it says "EVA/NEMPS" which is consistent with the description of my rate plan when I compare rates to other plans on the PG&E website. We'll see how long my luck lasts, although in searching around TMC I stumbled across a number of others in similar circumstances as mine who are still on EV-A.

If $ is bothering you, look for subsidized chargers. For me, my city has a few free L2 spots and out public transport hub has L2 for .50 per hour. Looks like Pge care ev2 off peak calculates to change from 18.091 to ~22.57.

For me, if the next big change happens, it will be a savings because of the purported lower kWh.

Last edited:
Wow can't believe it. It is going to be cheaper to charge at some public chargers now n
There are some Superchargers near me now in non-PG&E territory that will be very close to parity or even cheaper.

Merced (Merced Irrigation District): 32 cents/kwh
Turlock (Turlock Irrigation District): 35 cents/kwh
Modesto (Modesto Irrigation District) 25-28 cents/kwh
Elk Grove (SMUD): 24 cents/kwh

Absolutely insane.

Reactions: cwerdna and 1100MCM
I have a spreadsheet that I maintain for our Pacifica plug-in hybrid to estimate the relative cost of electricity vs. gasoline for that specific car (based on battery size, observed actual mileage on electricity vs. gas, etc.

At these new rates, off-peak is more or less at parity with the current cost of gas in my area ($4/gal). Charging at peak summer rate is the equivalent of $8.24/gal.

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 9.49.11 AM.png

Maybe once a month we pay for home charging. Our routine allows use of the free charger during the week with the .8 kWh as a backup. Shifting our home use pool, spa, ac, laundry, to off peak, and less gas, covers the payment of the Tesla. We do qualify for the care rate which is why we don’t have solar. We have a solar suitcase we use for floating rv and car batts and keeping my cpap backup batt at the ready.

This is insane. I could not be happier that I added more solar in 2023 on NEM2.

June 2023 Rates:
PG&E EV2 Rates 230601.jpg

January 2024 Rates:
PG&E EV2 Rates 240101.jpg

I think I will be charging a lot more at work. They only charge $0.17/kWh during the Winter rate season. That's half price!

Attachments

• PG&E EV2 Rates 230601.jpg
    PG&E EV2 Rates 230601.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 15
  • PG&E EV2 Rates 240101.jpg
    PG&E EV2 Rates 240101.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: cwerdna and ucmndd
This is insane. I could not be happier that I added more solar in 2023 on NEM2.
Agreed. These prices are absolutely insane. I snuck in an extra 4kw of solar early this year and like always my only regret is not stretching for more.

I’m contemplating turning on grid charging on my powerwalls to maximize arbitrage on EV-A while I still can. They can eff right off.

Agreed. These prices are absolutely insane. I snuck in an extra 4kw of solar early this year and like always my only regret is not stretching for more.

I’m contemplating turning on grid charging on my powerwalls to maximize arbitrage on EV-A while I still can. They can eff right off.
I had Grid Charging turned on with my new solar now that my PWs are more than 5 years old.

Last year billing cycle ending 12/15/22:
Peak: 127kWh
Part-Peak: 136kWh
Off-Peak: 736kWh
Net: 1,001kWh

This year billing cycle ending 12/17/23:
Peak: 1kWh
Part-Peak: -5kWh
Off-Peak: 1,096kWh
Net: 1,092kWh

When the ptb get their monthly fee plan in place, we start over figuring out how to optimize. The news saying 13% Jan 1 was as usual wrong. That is why Pge posted averages in their app not actual per kWh.