Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E rolling blackouts during heatwave (Aug 14 2020 —> ?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would have nice to have 2 PW2 to let you run your home off battery for the whole period. With enough homes doing this in your neighborhood, power may never go out as PG&E would not be reducing any load by blacking out your neighborhood.
Yeah, the default settings on Powerwalls basically let you do this. Most people just put it in cost savings mode which will take you off the grid during peak rates and export all the solar you can generate.

I have a question regarding the powerwalls. Yesterday our 150 amp breaker failed for our entire house sub panel. We don't have PTO yet so the (3) Powerwalls were powered off when power went out. I tried turning them on, but they would not power up. Is this normal behavior? Once an electrician replaced the 150 amp breaker and power was restored I could turn them on.

Yes, that’s normal. If the powerwalls were on at the time of the outage they would have taken over, but you need to take special steps to turn the system on after the power has failed.

It’s only 8:30pm now but looks like we might make it thru tonight baring any major issue. Notice projected need for tomorrow however. Hope they can secure enough for Monday thru Wednesday and hope people are trying to reduce consumption.

9876C6CF-B033-457F-ACC9-F4500E94E987.jpeg

In looking at above and also noticed on PG&E’s outage map wondering why they have an non-secure site.

Last edited:
After posting above, saw this KTVU story about possible rolling blackouts.

PG&E warns of rolling blackouts in three Bay Area counties tonight

“Based on current power usage forecasts, the California Independent System Operator (ISO) will likely direct PG&E to enact rotating power outages in the early to late Sunday evening in portions of San Francisco, San Mateo and Contra Costa counties, affecting an estimated 210,000 customers.” — now this was posted 2 hrs ago so who knows what’s on the table.

From the PG&E outage map seeing the lineman having another busy night regardless. Some reports of damaged equipment on a pole, transformer down, to investigating.

Last edited:

“Based on current power usage forecasts, the California Independent System Operator (ISO) will likely direct PG&E to enact rotating power outages in the early to late Sunday evening in portions of San Francisco, San Mateo and Contra Costa counties, affecting an estimated 210,000 customers.” — now this was posted 2 hrs ago so who knows what’s on the table.

People with EVs can at least connect 12V inverters and maybe get 1kW sustained power to use. That should be enough to keep the fridge running.

And, also hide in your EV for A/C

I guess ICE owners can do the same thing but be spewing pollution into the city,.

Had a bit of a scare tonight. We took the hit for the team last Friday for two hours as posted above. And then our power went out again at 6:15 PM and I thought here we go again. Nothing in my area on the PG&E map so I entered and outage but already it was recognized. Turns out our entire circuit of 1000+ homes took a hit.

Not sure what went wrong but PG&E had it fixed after two hours so we were happy. The battery was fully charged since it was in SW but even with the AC off it was draining at about 1200 watts. Not sure why. Normal is about 700-900. This time it was questionable if my AC units would start. I had a weird thing happen in our kitchen where a stove fan came on randomly. So that is when I decided not to risk it and turned the AC units off.

When PG&E opens its new Tesla PowerMegaWall it should be able to abate some of these outages. I think I read that they were opening several battery plants like the Tesla one in Moss Eisley, er, Landing. They will cover the various parts of the state like El Dorado that seemed to be an issue last night
They’ll need a lot more of these, especially in 2024-25 when they shut down Diablo Canyon.

I've struggled with trying to get information on dynamic situations such as what we're seeing now with rolling outages (or lack thereof) or PSPS events. News outlets seem to introduce delays and inaccuracies (kind of like the game of "telephone"), so by time we get information it can be outdated or wrong. So far, I've gotten the most timely and accurate information by monitoring the PG&E Twitter feed (@PGE4Me), or, weirdly, Nextdoor announcements. CAISO looks like it can be useful but I'm still learning to interpret the information on its Web site and app.

Bruce.

People with EVs can at least connect 12V inverters and maybe get 1kW sustained power to use. That should be enough to keep the fridge running.

And, also hide in your EV for A/C

I guess ICE owners can do the same thing but be spewing pollution into the city,.

I used to do 15 years ago with my old, old Prius. 850W Inverter hooked up under the hood to the 12V battery, Prius "on" while in Park, would turn gas engine on and off all night to keep the 12V battery topped up. Worked great.

How do we get 1 kW out of a Tesla via 12V? The 12V battery is largely inaccessible unless you pull a number of panels, the 12V accessory outlet has a 15A fuse (= 180W). I have a small 120W inverter for the accessory outlet, but far cry from 1 kW.

Though you do give me the inspiration to have Netflix movie night tonight in the Model 3, since we lack central A/C in the house...

Reactions: eevee-fan
I used to do 15 years ago with my old, old Prius. 850W Inverter hooked up under the hood to the 12V battery, Prius "on" while in Park, would turn gas engine on and off all night to keep the 12V battery topped up. Worked great.

How do we get 1 kW out of a Tesla via 12V? The 12V battery is largely inaccessible unless you pull a number of panels, the 12V accessory outlet has a 15A fuse (= 180W). I have a small 120W inverter for the accessory outlet, but far cry from 1 kW.

Though you do give me the inspiration to have Netflix movie night tonight in the Model 3, since we lack central A/C in the house...
It depends on which Tesla you're talking about. The jump terminals on a Model S are fused for 50A. The subwoofer circuit in a Model 3 allows 30A. If you need more than that from a Model 3, you need to get it directly from the PCS under the rear seat. There are obvious large 12V terminals under there. There is a long thread pinned in the Model 3 Battery and Charging sub-forum about powering your house from the Model 3.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
Last edited:
It depends on which Tesla you're talking about. The jump terminals on a Model S are fused for 50A. The subwoofer circuit in a Model 3 allows 30A. If you need more than that from a Model 3, you need to get it directly from the PCS under the rear seat. There are obvious large 12V terminals under there. There is a long thread pinned in the Model 3 Battery and Charging sub-forum about powering your house from the Model 3.

I only ever researched it for the Model S. I know the pre-refresh S has jump points right under the nosecone, but I have a refresh one and it still looks like you have to remove clips and two large panels under the hood - things not really worth doing when it's dark, windy and rainy outside (as it always was when I needed emergency power).

We do also have a Model 3 though, I never knew about those 12V points. I'll check the thread out; I hope I can again use my 850W inverter during an outage. Thanks!

I received the same notice on the Tesla app.

DEC49995-FDC9-4C36-985E-905E5780B3FE.jpeg

I am glad Tesla provided a step-by-step recommendation for the power shortage. The unfortunately thing is what more can I do to help the situation in California... not much. Exporting to the grid is not a feature. Currently, due to Storm Watch batteries were charged with cheap off-peak power, and have plenty of energy stored for overnight. At least one house (my house) is removed from the grid/equation. The Storm Watch ensured I wouldn’t tax the grid until late night when the grid is in better strength.

I received the same notice on the Tesla app.

View attachment 577608

I am glad Tesla provided a step-by-step recommendation for the power shortage. The unfortunately thing is what more can I do to help the situation in California... not much. Exporting to the grid is not a feature. Currently, due to Storm Watch batteries were charged with cheap off-peak power, and have plenty of energy stored for overnight. At least one house (my house) is removed from the grid/equation. The Storm Watch ensured I wouldn’t tax the grid until late night when the grid is in better strength.

I got that message, AND an email urging me to set my powerwalls to time based control, which I found interesting (I normally use self powered so thats even better than time based control from a grid perspective). All of California is under rolling blackout watch, even those of us in So. Cal. I am an SCE customer, and got notified this morning via email about the possibility of rolling blackouts (and that SCE had already done rolling blackouts on friday and saturday).

In not in one of the upcoming rolling blackout list, but that doesnt mean I wont be hit by something unexpected. I am using a higher reserve than I normally do, also because of the increased use of AC due to the heat, as well as being more prepared. Solar production is down due to clouds etc, so its a double whammy just like in other places out here.