Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking fixed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what about when you just use the adaptive cruse control? Not FSD? My car slams on the breaks for shadows or no reason at all.
The yellow flashing light problem is present when using just adaptive cruise control. Super dangerous. I still use adaptive cruise control on light traffic open highway, but turn it back off anytime I pass a stopped car or anything that I think might trigger the panic braking.

Reactions: Sporty
Not to revive an old thread, but I did not have this issue until the new v11 2021.44.25.2 update. It is completely unusable. I just had an 8 hour drive and could not use it. Every couple of minutes it would just randomly brake for absolutely no reason. Anyone else having this issue? Is there any kind of fix for this? Also, on autopilot it is doing the same thing, so both adaptive cruise control and autopilot (not FSD).

Well the good news is, if you ever get the FSD beta access, it introduces a whole host of new braking events for absolutely no reason. Passing a side road can now cause the vehicle to brake hard. A totally empty road can cause hard braking. Oncoming vehicles in their own lanes result in hard braking.

My personal favorite that they've re-introduced in the latest release isn't phantom braking but rather forced speed changes when TACC/AP are enabled. Going 65 with the flow of traffic and the limit changes to 55? Guess what. Your car is going to slow down rapidly while the rest of traffic keeps going 65.

Every release introduces worse behavior this past year, and I see no reason to believe Tesla will improve anything over 2022.

Reactions: sckor
Well the good news is, if you ever get the FSD beta access, it introduces a whole host of new braking events for absolutely no reason. Passing a side road can now cause the vehicle to brake hard. A totally empty road can cause hard braking. Oncoming vehicles in their own lanes result in hard braking.

My personal favorite that they've re-introduced in the latest release isn't phantom braking but rather forced speed changes when TACC/AP are enabled. Going 65 with the flow of traffic and the limit changes to 55? Guess what. Your car is going to slow down rapidly while the rest of traffic keeps going 65.

Every release introduces worse behavior this past year, and I see no reason to believe Tesla will improve anything over 2022.
Thanks for that uplifting post!

• Funny
Reactions: DrDabbles
Sorry. It's just been too many years of the same problems. They did fix the forced speed limit adjustment a couple years ago, but it seems they've reverted that now. Not sure why.

There is some uplifting news though! They did fix a bug that was impacting several of us causing the HVAC system to blow cold air when pre-conditioning because the temperature reading was being read at like 30ºF above the real temperature. So that's a bug fixed!

Speed control and braking in general seems algorithmically flawed.

Despite all the rewrites etc, there still seems a willingness for the car to lurch from one interpretation of its view, to something very different. And it has no concept of its mistake!

In my mind (especially during this training period) the car should give a clear confidence indication.... like a bar meter that shows how well into its zone of certainty the car is. The only time these random / unexpected events might be reasonable would be swhen the car is showing that its struggling to make sense.

I don't know what the answer is about speed limit changes as it is likely to depend on local approaches to law enforcement. In the UK it is clear cut that if you exceed the posted speed limit (which can be linked purely to the presence of street lighting) then you are at risk of getting a ticket, higher insurance, potentially being banned from driving. Unless Tesla intend taking the hit, they need to stick to the correct speed limit.

However, to be safe, the car needs to stay well within its control envelope's confidence zone while behaving in a predicable manner in keeping with local norms and conventions.