Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking still an issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, don’t have the Tesla yet. This only applies when using autopilot? Otherwise my wife will freak out if the car just slams on the brakes when driving manually.
I had a sudden braking issue today and it wasn’t on autopilot. Think it thought a cyclist was about to cross in front of me but he didn’t and the car slammed on the brakes.

What was this and can the sensitivity be lowered?

That's not phantom braking, that's AEB and had the cyclist made the wrong move might have saved his life..

Phantom braking is when the car brakes for no apparent reason on AP. Shadows, misjudging the location of lorries etc. How common it is depends on who you ask (and I suspect there's enough variation in the design of the AP cameras over time that it's not even a single answer).

That's not phantom braking, that's AEB and had the cyclist made the wrong move might have saved his life..

Phantom braking is when the car brakes for no apparent reason on AP. Shadows, misjudging the location of lorries etc. How common it is depends on who you ask (and I suspect there's enough variation in the design of the AP cameras over time that it's not even a single answer).
But he was on the pavement at the time and wasn’t close to us. Car completely misjudged it.

But he was on the pavement at the time and wasn’t close to us. Car completely misjudged it.

Probably wasn't the cyclist then.. for AEB to kick it it would have to judge you were in the process of an imminent collision (most modern cars do the same, as it's becoming mandatory in many countries).

I've had these false alerts three times in the two weeks I've had my M3.

The first time was a policeman just walking on the pavement on a straight road. Moderately amusing that the car highlighted him in red on the screen while braking. I assumed this was some kind of interference from his high vis jacket.

The second time was a person on the outside of a sharp bend. As I came around the corner the car broke sharply. I guess this could be explained by the car thinking a pedestrian was directly in front of me on the road, though they were actually on the pavement around a bend.

The third time was a mother with a pushchair and a small child crossing the first half of a zebra crossing on the other side of the road, separated by a railing barrier. Again, relatively easily explained by the software assuming they were on the same road as me & likely to step out. This one was a proper braking event, where the car behind me came very close.

I'd read a lot of posts on this forum before getting my M3, so expected this type of scenario, but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

Conversely to these, the car completely ignored a drunk who purposely stepped out in front of me last night & blocked me from carrying on down the road, needing a quick reactive stop. Every time I tried to reverse to drive around him he followed & stayed in front of the car for a solid 4 minutes. When I eventually got around him he kicked the car twice. Irrelevant to this thread, but police report submitted and cam footage sent.