Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the term apparently speed related because this speed limit appears not to be a hard and fast rule as I have had AP want to merrily undertake at higher speeds than 50 mph, some of those times on long motorway exit lanes, eg between M25 clockwise J11 & J12 even if not at that point marked as an exiting lane, but in other locations, no obvious reason.

Another undertake attempt yesterday, we were doing 60ish so well above the 50mph cut off. I added the tap accelerator theory to the mix (I hadn't) and still could not fathom any reason why it wanted to undertake.

simon, you picked probably the worst roads ever to experience this. The A14 has been rerouted majorly amd the map data is so out of date it doesn’t know. That slowing down repeatedly is because the car has no idea what the limit is. I’ve tested this several times now.

as a rule of thumb (and to identify true phantom braking incidents) if there’s no speed limit indicated on the screen, the car may as well be driving across a field and will constantly use random roads crossing/nearby etc to try and set its speed. Do that route again and on the stretch of A14 between the A1 and the M11, you’ll see there’s no speed limit shown on the display for big chunks of it. We need an underlying map data update urgently as they’re still 2019 if I’m not mistaken.
I disagree that this issue is due to the rebuilding of the A14 (though perhaps it was a while ago before I got my Model 3). That work was completed a while ago and the maps are up-to-date. The problem seems to me that the Tesla thinks the transition (travelling southbound) from the A14 to the M11 is a junction, so it drops to 45 mph. It's been like that for a while though it should be easy to fix. Just today a lorry behind got rather upset when the car tried to break to 45 mph while everyone else was continuing at 70+ mph. On the other hand when the speed limit drops, the car really does not adjust the speed - it's a manual process like the old cruise control in American cars from the 70's.

I drove that A14 stretch eastbound yesterday on AP & at no point did I experience "sudden dropping of speed from 70 mph to 45 mph" although I did note incorrect mapping and the beginning of gentle deceleration. This was the same on some recent updates whereas when newly opened I did experience a dramatic slowing down.

I will return westbound on Sunday so will see if that is the same.

I disagree that this issue is due to the rebuilding of the A14 (though perhaps it was a while ago before I got my Model 3). That work was completed a while ago and the maps are up-to-date. The problem seems to me that the Tesla thinks the transition (travelling southbound) from the A14 to the M11 is a junction, so it drops to 45 mph. It's been like that for a while though it should be easy to fix. Just today a lorry behind got rather upset when the car tried to break to 45 mph while everyone else was continuing at 70+ mph. On the other hand when the speed limit drops, the car really does not adjust the speed - it's a manual process like the old cruise control in American cars from the 70's.
Nigel, it used to be pretty much underivable on Autopilot along massive chunks of it. It’s a lot more civilised now. That said, I rarely use autopilot these days. I just use TACC which, while susceptible to the same issues occasionally, allows me to position the car slightly off centre in a lane to prevent trucks prompting a brake slam. Scientifically, because I’ve changed my driving habits I guess my current views can not be a direct comparison so I’ll leave it the hardcore Autopilots.

Given the nature of it, apologies for this being my first, and possibly only, message on these forums.

I am both horrified by what I’m reading here, and also grateful to all who’ve made their various contributions. I’ve been struck in particular by the number of people planning to sell their car prematurely or who have had to switch off these aids when they have passengers. And also by the fact that this has been dribbling on for years with seemingly no end in sight.

I’ve been driving Golfs for the last 8 years, with Adaptive Cruise Control which I use extensively. I’ve never once experienced any type of phantom braking. Warning ‘squeals’ about 4 times a year when it takes a dislike to a roadside hedge on a bend, but I think that’s the AEB.

Perhaps the difference is that the VW system is simply designed to ‘match’ the car in front [and to an extent the vehicle in the lane to the right] whereas the Tesla system seems to be trying to be “all things to all people”; trying too hard to monitor this, that and the other on the road towards the Holy Grail of FSD.

Personally I consider a reliable ACC to be essential. I use it on every journey and couldn’t imagine being without it, whether on the Motorway or keeping me within town speed limits. I’d feel sick if I’d spent over £40k on a car and then had to disable any of the systems I’d paid for.

I’ve spent the last month intensively researching, had my Tesla half hour test drive, got my heart set on a Model 3 and had been planning to pay my deposit this week. Not now. Too risky. My Golf’s good for another couple of years so it’s ‘better the devil you know’.

Very sad as I’d love to join the electric revolution and currently Tesla’s the only game in town, given the laughable state of the charging network which every Kia, Hyundai, VW, Audi, Jaguar, BMW etc has to make do with.

Reactions: candida and Maka344
Given the nature of it, apologies for this being my first, and possibly only, message on these forums.

I am both horrified by what I’m reading here, and also grateful to all who’ve made their various contributions. I’ve been struck in particular by the number of people planning to sell their car prematurely or who have had to switch off these aids when they have passengers. And also by the fact that this has been dribbling on for years with seemingly no end in sight.

I’ve been driving Golfs for the last 8 years, with Adaptive Cruise Control which I use extensively. I’ve never once experienced any type of phantom braking. Warning ‘squeals’ about 4 times a year when it takes a dislike to a roadside hedge on a bend, but I think that’s the AEB.

Perhaps the difference is that the VW system is simply designed to ‘match’ the car in front [and to an extent the vehicle in the lane to the right] whereas the Tesla system seems to be trying to be “all things to all people”; trying too hard to monitor this, that and the other on the road towards the Holy Grail of FSD.

Personally I consider a reliable ACC to be essential. I use it on every journey and couldn’t imagine being without it, whether on the Motorway or keeping me within town speed limits. I’d feel sick if I’d spent over £40k on a car and then had to disable any of the systems I’d paid for.

I’ve spent the last month intensively researching, had my Tesla half hour test drive, got my heart set on a Model 3 and had been planning to pay my deposit this week. Not now. Too risky. My Golf’s good for another couple of years so it’s ‘better the devil you know’.

Very sad as I’d love to join the electric revolution and currently Tesla’s the only game in town, given the laughable state of the charging network which every Kia, Hyundai, VW, Audi, Jaguar, BMW etc has to make do with.
I primarily use it for same reasons i.e motorway journeys (I have a 450 mile weekly round trip to Liverpool) and it's my key way of keeping to speed limits. Motorways I let it keep lane, off motorways less so. It works fine.

I used to have lots of issues with phantom braking, lately less so. Only nag I occasionally get on Motorway is when lorry starts to wander to close when overtaking, thankfully associated hard braking seems to have stopped (used to scare the cr@p out of me).

My experience is the SW is getting better. Coming from a Mercedes that had a fairly decent TACC I don't feel 'deprived', but 6-12 months ago that wasn't the case.

Key thing to note is it is only going to get better (as is the way with Tesla SW) unlike the Merc. And yes you get the occasional 2 steps forward, 1 back.

You also need to be a bit careful with Forums, very few people post how great things are, as is human nature

Reactions: Adopado
when I was out on Saturday driving on the motorway, the only times I had phantom braking (twice) were when I moved back into the middle lane when there was a lorry directly beside in the left hand lane, so appears to be avoidable on the most part. Appreciate I'm new to this and may/will get other instances but so far seems ok to me.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
when I was out on Saturday driving on the motorway, the only times I had phantom braking (twice) were when I moved back into the middle lane when there was a lorry directly beside in the left hand lane, so appears to be avoidable on the most part. Appreciate I'm new to this and may/will get other instances but so far seems ok to me.
That is exactly the issue I have noticed. I have no idea why the cameras think a truck is heading my way when it's me moving towards the truck. Surely the cameras see the white lines and that the truck is between its own lines. Just a pity we don't have the option for a simple TACC as that is all most of us need unless selecting FSD.

That is exactly the issue I have noticed. I have no idea why the cameras think a truck is heading my way when it's me moving towards the truck. Surely the cameras see the white lines and that the truck is between its own lines. Just a pity we don't have the option for a simple TACC as that is all most of us need unless selecting FSD.
I would even be happy if they added a speed limiter function (a bit like BMW's implementation) so if TACC wasn't working correctly for some reason I could at least use that, it was the first time this weekend in about 10 years of driving on a motorway that I've had to keep my foot on the accelerator.

I get my M3LR on Saturday. No eap and no fsd. I just have the basic standard autopilot. I just want a simple cruise control that will allow me to set the speed and keep it there until I deselect cruise. Is that possible?
Afraid not, they only have the traffic aware cruise control which keeps you a distance from the car infront, auto steer is activated separately though

We pick ours up on Friday from the Space Center in Leicester!

Looking forward to it, my MD has has Model S, S + X now X + 3 and loves them.

Charge point installed into the garage but can I get an EV tarrif atm, no chance, my current 24/7 tarrif is 20p / kw, so still loads cheaper than fossil fuels.

Mak

I primarily use it for same reasons i.e motorway journeys (I have a 450 mile weekly round trip to Liverpool) and it's my key way of keeping to speed limits. Motorways I let it keep lane, off motorways less so. It works fine.

I used to have lots of issues with phantom braking, lately less so. Only nag I occasionally get on Motorway is when lorry starts to wander to close when overtaking, thankfully associated hard braking seems to have stopped (used to scare the cr@p out of me).

My experience is the SW is getting better. Coming from a Mercedes that had a fairly decent TACC I don't feel 'deprived', but 6-12 months ago that wasn't the case.

Key thing to note is it is only going to get better (as is the way with Tesla SW) unlike the Merc. And yes you get the occasional 2 steps forward, 1 back.

You also need to be a bit careful with Forums, very few people post how great things are, as is human nature
Unfortunately I’m coming to the same conclusion - I use cruise control extensively and will 99% of the time have my young lad in the back so based on experiences on this forum I would be nervous to use this. Back to the original plan of an Ioniq 5 or BMW IX3 - gutted as would have loved the pace of the Tesla.

Reactions: candida
Unfortunately I’m coming to the same conclusion - I use cruise control extensively and will 99% of the time have my young lad in the back so based on experiences on this forum I would be nervous to use this. Back to the original plan of an Ioniq 5 or BMW IX3 - gutted as would have loved the pace of the Tesla.
? Maybe I should be more concise. In summary, I'm fine with TACC, It's the only one that's going to continually improve (the TACC H/W is off the charts) and no regrets - Most enjoyable car I have ever owned (my previous was Mercedes E-Class Luxo barge).

It's your choice, but TACC is not a reason not to buy the car and supercharger network made the decision a slam dunk in my opinion (effortless long distance travel). Will hopefully be adding Model Y next year and if the roadster ever turns up, I'll swap the model 3 for that.

Spoken as a model 3 owner with nearly 60K miles in just over 2 years

Reactions: Yachtsman