Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: Android Beta Version introduced!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is your car plugged in outside / @ work? If not, I wonder how much energy is used pre-heat the cabin & possibility the pack. Will you result in a net gain or loss on the total energy consumption if you are not plugged in.

My car is NOT plugged in at work - thats why the pack is getting cold... not sure about the energy consumption yet, just trying to figure out if the pack is being heated firstly..

My car is NOT plugged in at work - thats why the pack is getting cold... not sure about the energy consumption yet, just trying to figure out if the pack is being heated firstly..

The answer to energy consumption question depends on whether the battery and cabin are heated independently, and whether that heating is optimized. If they were independent and optimized (minimal energy use to arrive at a common "Ready Time", and you got in your car at that time) then the energy use would be the same as if you got into a cold car with a cold battery and started driving (provided your subsequent trip was long enough to result in both the cabin and battery reaching their "warm" temperature).

So it's possible for the energy use to be the same. However, if any of my previous statements aren't true (like things stay warm too long before you get in and drive away), then you're going to use more energy preconditioning.

Let's hope version 2.0 of the app has a "Ready Time" and optimized battery and cabin preheating so we can do it without any range penalty. Right now it appears that the process is not optimized.

The answer to energy consumption question depends on whether the battery and cabin are heated independently

They are heated independently. You can tell by looking at the power consumption. If you get into the car and turn on the cabin heater, power drain goes up to 5-6 kW. If you sit there without turning the car on it stays at that level. Some time after you turn the car on, the power draw increases to 10-12 kW.

They are heated independently. You can tell by looking at the power consumption. If you get into the car and turn on the cabin heater, power drain goes up to 5-6 kW. If you sit there without turning the car on it stays at that level. Some time after you turn the car on, the power draw increases to 10-12 kW.

Thanks Doug_G. We need a Ready Time feature, where the battery and cabin heating are done in an optimum way to minimize the energy usage. If the battery takes a long time to heat up it's dumb to needlessly keep the cabin warm that long.

Closing out apps was necessary on older versions of Android, but most devices running 4.0 or higher don't need it IMHO.

That being said, there doesn't look to be any way to gracefully shut the app down.

Basic question:

I've got the application running nicely on my Android phone. How do I gracefully exit the application without doing a forced stop?

Thanks.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Press and hold the home button and then swipe it off the screen.

Not on all phones. On my EVO LTE, holding down the home button launches Google Now... Perhaps you mean the recent apps button?

Anyone tried packet sniffing yet? Maybe, the server API being used is RESTful? It'd then be easy to build a web app, a Windows Phone app, etc. I'll try to take a stab this weekend or when I'm waiting to be vetted for jury duty on Monday :)

I tried last night using the BlueStacks emulator. They are using ssl to secure the traffic so you can't just use a packet sniffer. I'm planning to try mitmproxy to peek at traffic once the iPhone app is out. Unfortunately you can't set a proxy server in BlueStacks so can't test yet.

I'm mostly interested in how they have implemented security for my own peace of mind. But figuring out the API would be useful. I can think of lots of useful things to do. :)

are we a sad lot or what? I've always been a techie and I've always loved cars...but I've NEVER joined a forum and I've never obsessed over any of my other cars like this (or over anything really...not to THIS degree). Does the climate control aerosolize crack cocaine through the ventilation making our hearts race and keeping us coming back for more?!?!?!

Is there anyone besides me who doesn't even have a reservation but who just had to install the app on my Android last night? I showed the Tesla icon on my phone to my wife. She just shook her head and sighed. (lovingly I hope!) Oh what has this forum done to me:smile:

not enough windows users to make them pri 1 for the app

no windoze... they should let us use the my tesla website to control it was well..

The top priorities for remote control are android, iphone, and the web. Anything else will be just a vanishingly small percentage. It's fine to do win ph, but there are probably as many bb users as there are w.p. Does the android app only work on 4.x android or does it work on the old version too?