Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: Android Beta Version introduced!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried last night using the BlueStacks emulator. They are using ssl to secure the traffic so you can't just use a packet sniffer. I'm planning to try mitmproxy to peek at traffic once the iPhone app is out. Unfortunately you can't set a proxy server in BlueStacks so can't test yet.

I'm mostly interested in how they have implemented security for my own peace of mind. But figuring out the API would be useful. I can think of lots of useful things to do. :)

You can packet sniff SSL on the plain Android emulator. You simply have to add a trusted CA, which is available via a fancy UI in the settings as of 4.1 (Jelly Bean). I may whip that out tomorrow at some point. Here's the instructions on how to set it up with Fiddler: Fiddler Web Debugger - Configuring Google Nexus 7 running Android 4.1

Somewhat off topic, but the New York Times review of the new BlackBerry 10 was the most glowingly positive I've ever read. Also, Android apps can be easily adapted to run on it, so I expect the Tesla app will eventually be available.

anyone else have a Blackberry ?
I know.. I am stuck with that device for work, I hope they make the app for that too !

sent via Tapatalk

Somewhat off topic, but the New York Times review of the new BlackBerry 10 was the most glowingly positive I've ever read. Also, Android apps can be easily adapted to run on it, so I expect the Tesla app will eventually be available. sent via Tapatalk

Now that some of you have experience with this app, I'm curious to know how quickly the car responds to commands. I have OnStar for my Volt and it's dreadfully slow. Don't know how the signal processing is done via OnStar but quick is not a adjective I'd ever use to describe it.

Anyone tried packet sniffing yet? Maybe, the server API being used is RESTful? It'd then be easy to build a web app, a Windows Phone app, etc. I'll try to take a stab this weekend or when I'm waiting to be vetted for jury duty on Monday :)

Yep, it's all RESTful JSON coming back. Sweet! Looks like it's a Ruby app, probably Rails, running on thin. Interesting, as I would have at least gone with unicorn, if not puma.

Everything's at portal.vn.teslamotors.com and it appears to be nested resources under /vehicles/:id. I haven't re-run the auth flow, but here's the resources I see so far:

/vehicles

/vehicles/:id/mobile_enabled
/vehicles/:id/command/charge_state
/vehicles/:id/command/climate_state
/vehicles/:id/command/vehicle_state
/vehicles/:id/command/drive_state
/vehicles/:id/command/gui_settings

/vehicles/:id/command/door_unlock
/vehicles/:id/command/door_lock
/vehicles/:id/command/honk_horn
/vehicles/:id/command/flash_lights
/vehicles/:id/command/sun_roof_control?state=vent
/vehicles/:id/command/sun_roof_control?state=close (presumably we'll get some some variable control of how open it is)

/vehicles/:id/command/charge_start
/vehicles/:id/command/charge_stop
/vehicles/:id/command/change_max_range
/vehicles/:id/command/charge_standard

/vehicles/:id/command/auto_conditioning_start
/vehicles/:id/command/auto_conditioning_stop
/vehicles/:id/command/set_temps?passenger_temp=25.0&driver_temp=25.0 (appears to be celsius temps)

Neat stuff!

Yep, it's all RESTful JSON coming back. Sweet! Looks like it's a Ruby app, probably Rails, running on thin. Interesting, as I would have at least gone with unicorn, if not puma.

Everything's at portal.vn.teslamotors.com and it appears to be nested resources under /vehicles/:id. I haven't re-run the auth flow, but here's the resources I see so far:

/vehicles

/vehicles/:id/command/sun_roof_control?state=close (presumably we'll get some some variable control of how open it is)

/vehicles/:id/command/set_temps?passenger_temp=25.0&driver_temp=25.0 (appears to be celsius temps)

Neat stuff!

Very cool. I assume you'd just need to auth then, and then you're free to hit those APIs at will (and bring apps to other devices). Tesla would likely frown on it, but I'm not sure there's much locking down they can do.

Note to iPhone/windows owners: you could install bluestacks on your home pc then use an iPhone Remote Desktop app to remote into your home pc and control the model S.

Useful tip. As an alternative for iPhone users, we could just wait a few more days for it to be released by Apple... Yah, like that's going to happen, since we Tesla owners clearly don't have a lot of patience as demonstrated by the number of us checking the App Store every 10 minutes! :wink:

Very cool. I assume you'd just need to auth then, and then you're free to hit those APIs at will (and bring apps to other devices). Tesla would likely frown on it, but I'm not sure there's much locking down they can do.

Awesome. I want to curl my sunroof!

I tried my Bluetooth OBDII adapter to try and get some more detailed realtime telemetry off the car but it can't talk the 1mbps speed I suspect the canbus runs at. I might buy a more expensive one from amazon so I can return it if it doesn't work.

guys we should start a thread on home brew integration to the model s via all these avenues.

Does it Heat the Pack? CONFIRMED!

Before:

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1456.JPG

After (24 minutes later):

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

Conclusion: Turning on the heater via the Remote App does indeed heat up the pack!

Last edited:
Useful tip. As an alternative for iPhone users, we could just wait a few more days for it to be released by Apple... Yah, like that's going to happen, since we Tesla owners clearly don't have a lot of patience as demonstrated by the number of us checking the App Store every 10 minutes! :wink:

I don't even have my car yet and I'm checking the App Store even though all I would see is a login screen. I guess it's something to do to fill the 3-5 week wait.

Curious fact from my above experiment: I only "lost" 6 Rated Km. That would correspond to about 1.3 kWh. Doesn't seem like enough.

Speculation: The pack capacity was reading low in the first picture due to the temperature, and was more accurate in the second picture.

Conclusion: You can't draw any conclusions from my experiment about how much power was drawn from the pack. This means I can't tell you if the pack warmed up because I was drawing power from it to heat the cabin, or if it warmed up because the pack heater was running.

I think it would be neat to have the pano roof vent feature extended to the windows in a future release. For instance, all the windows in the car could be lowered half an inch. That way you would get some cross ventilation, which would passively cool the car more effectively than just opening the pano.

The app is pretty awesome, but so far I've only used it through bluestacks. It won't let me login to the app using my HP Touchpad on cyanogenmod. I'm anxiously awaiting the iOS release.

Last edited:

/vehicles

Neat stuff!

I did the same thing, except I don't have a car so I couldn't get to the commands part. working on a windowsphone app now (since I only have a VIN, my app only logs in and shows you a VIN so far, but with this info I can start geting this stuff in and test it when my car arrives)