Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: Android Beta Version introduced!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we don't subscribe to the connectivity package and only use tethering to our smartphone, does it mean these mobile apps are not useful?

This is exactly what I'm wondering about too.... I really don't see the need to pay for a data plan for the car when my wife and I will always have our phones with us when we're in the car. I hope Tesla still has remote access to the car without the connectivity package and that would allow the app to function.

Eager to try it out, I downloaded the app. But as I've not taken delivery and won't until April or so, I can't log in with my "MyTesla" credentials. I'm assuming I won't be able to use the app until Tesla assigns a VIN and/or I take delivery. Anyone know for sure? I'm assuming the car has to be delivered to me before I can use the app. More to add frustration to the wait.

It's 12:14 am Pacific time and still nothing in the apple App Store!

I replaced my iPhone with a Samsung Galaxy 3 and I've never looked back. I was one of those nut cases who stood in long lines when each version of the iPhone was released. But I got fed up with all of Apple's ridiculous hype every time a new phone was released -- you know, the greatest thing for the future of humanity stuff.

I'm pleased I made the changes, and especially like Android. So now I have the Tesla app, although I won't be able to use it until my car is delivered in April or so.

...and here's my first glitch. I started the app up this morning (via BlueStacks), and flipped to the Climate page. It immediately turned on climate control without me asking it to - in fact before its own display updated. (Cabin started warming up so it wasn't on beforehand.)

Despite using minimum power it had finished charging so no doubt the pack is cold. I was able to get it to start charging again using the app. Cool!

Eager to try it out, I downloaded the app. But as I've not taken delivery and won't until April or so, I can't log in with my "MyTesla" credentials. I'm assuming I won't be able to use the app until Tesla assigns a VIN and/or I take delivery. Anyone know for sure? I'm assuming the car has to be delivered to me before I can use the app. More to add frustration to the wait.
I don't have my car yet, but I'm in my delivery window. The app lets me sign in, and shows the correct VIN number (I just got it from Tesla yesterday). Of course, I can't control the car, since remote access isn't enabled at that end. (It would be funny if I could control it before taking delivery!)

...and here's my first glitch. I started the app up this morning (via BlueStacks), and flipped to the Climate page. It immediately turned on climate control without me asking it to - in fact before its own display updated. (Cabin started warming up so it wasn't on beforehand.)

Despite using minimum power it had finished charging so no doubt the pack is cold. I was able to get it to start charging again using the app. Cool!

Doug,

Have you been able to determine if the car uses battery or plugged in power for pre-heat (or pre-cool) when using the app?

No, not yet. I wanted my car toasty this morning so I turned on HVAC remotely, then temporarily popped it into Range Mode so it would start charging again.

I'll try it out this evening when I leave work.

Warning / Tip for northern users: when you turn on the HVAC through the application, it resets ALL of your HVAC settings. I assumed it just turned things on, but that is not the case. I didn't bother checking, and as a result my car windows suddenly fogged over after ten minutes. I had to reset everything to clear the windows. My wife also complained that she was too hot!

I had my car charged last night in my unheated - but insulated garage - ( ambient temp 6C / 43F ) ... and the battery pack likely became full at around 5am or so.. at 8:15am i turned on climate control to 21.5C ( 71F ) and got in the car at 8:35 and noticed that although the interior was nice and warm - i still had limited regen.. so i am under the assumption that climate control does not warm up the battery pack *** OR *** you need to warm the car for more than 20 minutes.. tomorrow i will try for a full hour and see what happens.

I had my car charged last night in my unheated - but insulated garage - ( ambient temp 6C / 43F ) ... and the battery pack likely became full at around 5am or so.. at 8:15am i turned on climate control to 21.5C ( 71F ) and got in the car at 8:35 and noticed that although the interior was nice and warm - i still had limited regen.. so i am under the assumption that climate control does not warm up the battery pack *** OR *** you need to warm the car for more than 20 minutes.. tomorrow i will try for a full hour and see what happens.
Maybe you should try to switch it to range mode 10-20 minutes before you leave so that the charge will start to warm up the battery?

Keep us posted!!

I have an Android Tablet (Nexus 7) to put the app on but I have an iPhone. Am I the only one considering running out and getting an Android phone to prevent having to wait for the Apple App Store to get it's act together.

I've been itching for a GSIII for a while and this may have put me over the edge

I have an Android Tablet (Nexus 7) to put the app on but I have an iPhone. Am I the only one considering running out and getting an Android phone to prevent having to wait for the Apple App Store to get it's act together.

I've been itching for a GSIII for a while and this may have put me over the edge

Seems a bit extreme. Wait a few days. If you must, buy a used android tablet.

Maybe you should try to switch it to range mode 10-20 minutes before you leave so that the charge will start to warm up the battery?

Keep us posted!!

good idea!, i will try it after the climate control testing..

on a side note, now we will have anxiety over getting 2 device updates.. one for the car ( v4.2 ) .. and one for the phone app ( v1.0 b28 ) -