Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1. Car sometimes doesn't unlock even if it clearly is connected with BT. Clicking on the app lock though unlocks it immediately without delay. firmware or app bug?

That said, i tried 3 phones (all androids). My current phone is oreo 8.1, so can't be just version or something.

I have the same experience. something buggy with the proximity logic. Unlocking from the persistent notification (Android), which is tied to BLE, also works when handles don't unlock. Started happening with 36.2 for me.

I rarely open the actual app to unlock.

+1. Car sometimes doesn't unlock even if it clearly is connected with BT. Clicking on the app lock though unlocks it immediately without delay. firmware or app bug?

That said, i tried 3 phones (all androids). My current phone is oreo 8.1, so can't be just version or something.
This happens to be a ton. The only way to get my phone to work as a proximity key again is to reboot it. So I think it's something with my phone and not the car. But hard to really prove either way. I just find too often that I have to pull the phone out of my pocket to swipe down and hit the unlock button.

This is a long thread, but Android users should:

1. Give all possible permissions to the Tesla app
  2. Put the Tesla app on the whitelist for battery management. Also include
    • Google Play services
    • Google Services Framework
    • Motorola Sensor Service

We are way past this type of first line of defense remedies. The issues that continue to plague some Android phones has to do with a breakdown in BLE handshaking with the car. It craps out sometimes and can't recover without needing to toggle BT or Airplane mode.

Rebooting the MCU or phone also works (but is much slower than BT/Airplane toggle), which definitely points to the car and phone getting into a state where neither can handshake properly again without one side getting reset.

Also annoying are signal weakness issues, like being unable to open the rear doors but having no issues once you walk to the front, or car demanding a key once you sit down because the signal is suppressed by jeans or other clothing. I pull the phone out of my pocket, and yay I can put the car into reverse.

We are way past this type of first line of defense remedies. The issues that continue to plague some Android phones has to do with a breakdown in BLE handshaking with the car. It craps out sometimes and can't recover without needing to toggle BT or Airplane mode.

Actually, sometimes the phone is connected to the car (App even shows it) and the car still takes it sweet time waking up and responding to the door. I can get the BLE phone-as-key connected in app from a good 50+ feet and approach with my phone on, awake, and app in foreground, and still have to wait 10-15 seconds for the care to power up and respond to me trying to open the door.

So it's not even necessarily a BLE problem. At least some of the problems are just the car being in too deep a sleep or something, such that the BLE connection won't wake it up enough to actually react to doors.

Reactions: nvx1977
Actually, sometimes the phone is connected to the car (App even shows it) and the car still takes it sweet time waking up and responding to the door. I can get the BLE phone-as-key connected in app from a good 50+ feet and approach with my phone on, awake, and app in foreground, and still have to wait 10-15 seconds for the care to power up and respond to me trying to open the door.

So it's not even necessarily a BLE problem. At least some of the problems are just the car being in too deep a sleep or something, such that the BLE connection won't wake it up enough to actually react to doors.

true. I encounter this too. this is why it's amazing to hear that a good chunk of people have zero issues whatsoever, given all the different ways this process could fail.

Reactions: crackers8199

Hopefully the fob whenever available will take care of this on going issue and we will have a system that works 100% of the time, especially now that winter is approaching. I wouldn't want to stand in a snow storm trying to get the car to wake up and let me in.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Ordered the fob. Best $150 + tax I ever spent... :p

I ordered one as well.

I think people are going to be very disappointed in the fob.. From the Tesla Store page: Model 3 Key Fob

Note: Does not support passive entry.

And then from the support page: Model 3 Key Fob

Why doesn’t my Key Fob automatically unlock or lock my Model 3 when I walk towards or away from it?
Walk-Away Door Lock for Model 3 operates only when using an authenticated phone. When you walk towards or away from your Model 3 carrying your Key Fob, your car will not automatically unlock or lock.

WTH are they thinking?

I think people are going to be very disappointed in the fob.. From the Tesla Store page: Model 3 Key Fob

And then from the support page: Model 3 Key Fob

WTH are they thinking?
WTF indeed! Model X has BLE fobs and works fine, this is unacceptable!

edit: and already sold out, too.

I'm willing to buy a keyfob for $150 if it @!#($ did everything it should.

This overpriced garbage is a disgrace in this price bracket. That was acceptable on my 2008 Mazda 3, not my 2018 Model 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: kavyboy