Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much money per car is Tesla saving by not not giving away fobs with the Model 3s? I’m sure it’s a lot less than what they charge for replacement fobs for the S and X.
Possibly not enough to compensate for the loss in sales they'll see from people who do not want to use a phone as their car key. Not a big factor now, with early reservations made by a very forgiving crowd. But later, when the car starts filtering out into the broader and far less forgiving market, this clever and complicated little approach (with all the attendent bug fixes, updates, non-compatibility issues, complaint handling and Ranger visits) will cost them.
I'd buy a Model 3 with a fob. I likely will not buy a Model 3 without one.
+1 on the Toyota system. Very simple, very reliable, and it doesn't require a chicken dance to make it work. It...just...works.
Robin

Okay cool. Reading the thread it seemed to go from turning a key card into a fob (probably reliable) to using a smaller phone as a fob (probably unreliable).

Just want to keep things clear. A small phone will not work as a fob any better than a large phone.

I'm the one that suggested it, and I haven't had a single time where my phone hasn't worked perfectly to unlock the car, so that's probably why. ;)

I was responding to a post by somebody who doesn't carry a smart phone and doesn't want to. As far as reliability, the only real difference between a smart phone and a dedicated fob is that there's so many more variables in a smart phone (manufacturer, software versions, what other programs are running) that can cause problems.

I'm the one that suggested it, and I haven't had a single time where my phone hasn't worked perfectly to unlock the car, so that's probably why. ;)

I was responding to a post by somebody who doesn't carry a smart phone and doesn't want to. As far as reliability, the only real difference between a smart phone and a dedicated fob is that there's so many more variables in a smart phone (manufacturer, software versions, what other programs are running) that can cause problems.
And as @MP3Mike suggested battery life. If people can't be convinced to use a smartphone, you think they'll be receptive to charging it every 2-3 days?

Reactions: MP3Mike
Thinking more about the phone issue, by far the most likely possibility is that either the Tesla app is no longer running (I know iOS can terminate programs due to memory pressure, I imagine Android will as well) or something is preventing it from responding promptly. In both cases, I bet if you had a device where you did nothing but run the Tesla app it would be hugely more reliable.

It would be interesting to try and correlate app usage with the unreliability of the Model 3 unlock.

And as @MP3Mike suggested battery life. If people can't be convinced to use a smartphone, you think they'll be receptive to charging it every 2-3 days?

I bet if you turned cell service off and only used the device to unlock the car the battery should last a long time, but obviously nothing like a key fob. Basically it's true that a device designed for just this purpose is going to work better than a general purpose device.

Picked up our Model 3 yesterday, had the same issue today (several times).

The problem seems to be with the app and multiple cars (in our case one Model S & one Model 3).

When switching cars in the app - to a car other than the Model 3 - it disconnect the phone as key mode. Even after switching back to the Model 3 there is a big delay.

We need someone with only a Model 3 to confirm or deny they have the same problem.

Even for Tesla this is an especially epic fail.

OK, so I guess the important question here is: What's the cheapest Tesla-app-and-Model-3-key compatible Android device that's small enough to be used as a keyfob?

ok, to add a bit more to the conversation. today i tried to not toggle bluetooth, and had no issue unlocking and driving. also begning to think that having the tesla app running as the last app on the phone helps with the issue as well.

as in, open the tesla app, lock phone, walk up to car. seems if it is a background process and the last accessed app was... something like spotify then i would run into more issues.

My AP1 S works fine with fob in my purse or pocket. No problems and I never have to take it out unless I need the frunk open ;/ But the 3 has been troublesome. Auto-lock on walk-away does not work. And that's with only one phone enabled.
Interesting that you have one phone, two Tesla vehicles and are having issues too. Your problem might be slightly different. If your app is not switched to the Model 3 it will not work. Try leaving the app on Model 3 and use your fob for the Model S.

18 days in and my wife's phone still will not work as a key. Both using iPhones. Mine (7+) works a key, hers (X) does not. Multiple calls to Tesla and many deletes and re-installs of app. Tried an older iPhone 6; no good.
Tesla has turned it over to diagnostics who will remotely pull records from my M3 and see if a FW patch is in order. They are supposed to get back to me by tomorrow but I can already sense they are at work... now my iPhone no longer works as a key.

Anyone notice that if you have Apple Pay enabled on your iPhone and
it is un-keyed to your M3, app on in background and
you hold it up to the B-pillar, it attempts to "pay" your car. Same with the cupholder.
So, I guess the BLE stuff is working?

• Funny
Reactions: JenniferQ
Tesla has turned it over to diagnostics who will remotely pull records from my M3 and see if a FW patch is in order.
I got the exact same response more than a week ago, then a random phone call the next day from someone who first seemed to work in engineering but turned out to be from the solar side, just pulled over to the vehicle side 3 days prior. Uhgg, this is a pain. A growing pain. Fine I get that but dang this is a headache.

Interesting that you have one phone, two Tesla vehicles and are having issues too. Your problem might be slightly different. If your app is not switched to the Model 3 it will not work. Try leaving the app on Model 3 and use your fob for the Model S.

Yesterday morning I came up to my 3 and it didn't unlock. I thought "I've finally seen the phone unlock problem people have been reporting!" I then realized I had done something with the S I'm selling the day before and hadn't switched my phone back.

I just hit this issue as well. Two Teslas--one MS and now M3. Wife drives M3 and card key stopped working, saying "disconnected". I have iPhone X, she has iPhone 6.

I think there are a couple issues here, reliability of bluetooth is separate. The Tesla app should allow multiple user accounts connected to the same car--apparently that requires a call to Tesla to set up, which I'll do. My suspicion is that there are many paths to failure of this setup, and the car switching is one of them. For example, my app is set to the MS, hers to the M3. Now neither phone can unlock the car. Maybe some state is stored on the Tesla server based on phone + active car setting?

I have a lot more patience with technology than she does, and this is a silly issue to tarnish a very positive car experience. I'll post back what I find after debugging this tonight, but I suspect getting multiple drivers on different accounts is probably step one to reduce the issues.

From the standpoint of my personal life choices, it is apparent I love change. I find change invigorating and stimulating to my growth. For example the change from ICE to EV is an easy change for me, the change from steering wheel instrument binnacle to central UI screen is an easy choice for me, and the change to PV on my roof is an easy change for me. But change has to make sense to me personally. A change to force me to carry a smartphone and pay for an additional cel phone line for full functionality, when I currently don't carry a smartphone, does not make sense to me personally. But the smartphone protocol is not a deal breaker for me. I will just find a workaround.

Please, @T34ME: what workaround might you imagine?

Friday, I'm going to try to persuade my 83-year old father to drive a Model 3 as his daily driver. He has a flip phone; not interested in a smart phone. Looks to me as if he is going to have to use the keycard. Worse, from what I've read so far, it looks as if he'll have to take the keycard out of his wallet to press it against the B pillar, unlike other keycards in other settings that can be used from within wallets.

So... I'd love to know if there's some better -- easier! -- way for a non-smart phone-wielding Model 3 driver to interact with the car.

Thanks,
Alan

Worse, from what I've read so far, it looks as if he'll have to take the keycard out of his wallet to press it against the B pillar, unlike other keycards in other settings that can be used from within wallets.

From several accounts I've read, unless he has an exceptionally thick wallet, it should work just fine though and inch or so of wallet and associated stuffing.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
From several accounts I've read, unless he has an exceptionally thick wallet, it should work just fine though and inch or so of wallet and associated stuffing.

Thanks, @dsvick, that sounds like one problem knocked down. :)(*)

As you might imagine, I'm making a list of questions for the Tesla delivery guy on Thursday.

Alan

(*)Maybe. My Dad has been known to stuff an incredible amount of crap into his wallet. I'll treat this as an opportunity to convince him to shrink his wallet. :)

Reactions: dsvick