Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a similar issue where the car keeps locking and unlocking as we move about the house with the connected phone.

How do you know it's locking and unlocking? The reason i ask is if it's your mirrors folding and unfolding, then you can turn off Walk-up Unlock and the car will only unlock when you place your hand on the door handle.

How do you know it's locking and unlocking? The reason i ask is if it's your mirrors folding and unfolding, then you can turn off Walk-up Unlock and the car will only unlock when you place your hand on the door handle.
Security cameras in the garage show the car flashing the lights with no-one near.

Yes, we could disable bluetooth or turn off the feature for walk away and walk toward lock/unlock. I'm hoping for a more elegant long term solution.

Right now, we are keeping the phones in another part of the house.

I have the same situation and I promise turning off walk-up unlock is what you want to do, give it a shot. It's literally the same as what you have now, but the car will only unlock when you pull on the handle. You should still leave walk away lock turned on, though.
Thanks, will do.
Edit:
Seems to do the job! Thanks.

Last edited:
I have the same situation and I promise turning off walk-up unlock is what you want to do, give it a shot. It's literally the same as what you have now, but the car will only unlock when you pull on the handle. You should still leave walk away lock turned on, though.

Does it work for passenger door as well, or does driver door have to be opened first? Thanks!

Reactions: Msjulie
Does it work for passenger door as well, or does driver door have to be opened first? Thanks!

If the phone key is "connected" to the vehicle (i.e within 10 or 15 feet) then the car will remain locked until you open any door or the trunk, at which point the mirrors will unfold and the vehicle will unlock for you. So no, the driver door does not need to be opened first.

I'm certainly no keyfob expert, but if Tesla started making a Blutooh low energy keyfob a couple of years ago, why wouldn't one of these work now with the Model 3? Is there only one BLE standard?

Hmm that's a good point, I don't see why a BLE fob wouldn't work with the Model 3. Not sure if Tesla will ever offer one though.

• Informative
Reactions: Msjulie
I hope you never lose your phone.....or get it stolen.
I hope you never lose a key fob, or get it stolen!

What's the difference?

I hate keyfobs, easy to lose, one more thing to carry, not waterproof, they wear out, and are an absolutely extortionate price to replace.

I'm sure any software issues will get sorted, and phone plus card makes so much more sense to me.
I'm also sure in the future, all cars will be like this.

Cya

What's the difference?

I hate keyfobs, easy to lose, one more thing to carry, not waterproof, they wear out, and are an absolutely extortionate price to replace.

I'm sure any software issues will get sorted, and phone plus card makes so much more sense to me.

Cya

Yeah i'm wondering if the X and S will soon head this direction too....

I'm somewhere over 18 years of having to carry around a key fob of one sort or another, I've never lost one and have never had to replace one due to "wear", breakage or whatever.

My oldest car, an 06 Prius that I bought new in Jan 06, has Toyota's Smart Key System. I don't need to push any buttons on it. The only wear it gets it from rubbing against other keys and objects in my pocket. The Toyota logo is looking pretty bad on the back side of the one that gets carried around, because of the rubbing.
Problem is, phone software and operating systems are a moving target. New phone hardware comes out ALL the time. Seems like new Android phones come out every few weeks. New iPhone models come out annually. New major versions of iOS and Android comes out annually. Smaller (some minor) updates come out many times a year. Internally, hardware can be so different from one phone to the next all sold in the same year.

And then, as the last paragraph of Apple Says iOS 11 is Now Installed on 65% of Devices you have folks on Android rather far behind on OSes besides the massive fragmentation in the Android world. If you were to filter the list at Category:Android (operating system) devices - Wikipedia to only phones (there are multiple pages), it's probably still rather incomplete.

I suspect folks are likely to keep their Model 3 longer than their current smartphone... what if they switch phones partway thru, esp. to the other side (Android to iOS or vice versa) and discover major problems w/"phone as a key"?

Last edited:
So, has this been resolved? By new firmware or configuration settings on the phones?

As I am 3 days into my “4 week wait” after placing my order, I’m following this thread. Seems like the only major concern withe the 3 being ‘reliable’.

Can’t tell if the ‘change settings’ setting or a firmware release has kicked this issue...

What's the difference?

I will disagree with you on this point. In four years of use, I have never lost my key fob. In 1+ year of use I have lost my smartphone twice, mainly because it is too large to fit in my pants pocket conveniently. I don't need to carry a key fob because it is small enough to fit conveniently in my pants pocket where it stays, but not so the smartphone that I do have to carry. If not for the smartphone, both my hands are conveniently empty. Mine is sufficiently waterproof because it never leaves my pants pocket, I have not needed to even replace the battery in four years, it never needs to be charged, and I don't have any idea what the replacement cost is because I have never needed to replace it. I do know what the replacement cost of a smartphone - several hundred dollars depending on the phone.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy and RTPEV
I will disagree with you on this point. In four years of use, I have never lost my key fob. In 1+ year of use I have lost my smartphone twice, mainly because it is too large to fit in my pants pocket conveniently. I don't need to carry a key fob because it is small enough to fit conveniently in my pants pocket where it stays, but not so the smartphone that I do have to carry. If not for the smartphone, both my hands are conveniently empty. Mine is sufficiently waterproof because it never leaves my pants pocket, I have not needed to even replace the battery in four years, it never needs to be charged, and I don't have any idea what the replacement cost is because I have never needed to replace it. I do know what the replacement cost of a smartphone - several hundred dollars depending on the phone.
On Friday I washed my 3 for the first time in preparation for my tinting. I got out my two buckets of water from the shower and I step out of the shower only to dunk my phone into the bucket. Good thing I got a waterproof phone or I would have been stuck with using the RFID card for a bit.

What's the difference?

Cya
Unless it's not just a "software" issue. Keyfobs I've had seem to have been designed to very precisely detect distance within a foot of the door. From what I've heard, Bluetooth, not so much. 10-15 feet is quite a range. Not only that, but IMO it's much easier to deal with multiple vehicles (just in case some day we have 2 Model 3's) by grabbing one set of keys vs. another on the way out the door than getting into an app and selecting the vehicle you want.

I get the attraction of using your phone as a key. And if it works well, then I'd probably do that myself. And as a default entry mechanism, great. But if they are going to offer a backup option anyway, I would prefer that they offer a key fob as an option.

Reactions: jsmay311