Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a long thread, so bear with me if already covered. As I took delivery of my M3 six days ago, I opened the Tesla app, where our MX is, but no trace of the M3. The delivery rep. just sent me home; said I had to do something with the settings while on a computer. So, the MX has my wife as main owner but with both our emails and phones registered. The M3 is in my name, with wife's email and phone also registered. I tried to make account email and password the same for the two cars, but that attempted change didn't stick. When I log on the app in my name and an M3 shows up, the message is "Mobile access disabled". Well, I've never seen it enabled. Perhaps Tesla forgot an activation? I wish I could get a Tesla rep. on the line right away, but it ain't that easy. What is the fix? Thanks for helping.

This is a long thread, so bear with me if already covered. As I took delivery of my M3 six days ago, I opened the Tesla app, where our MX is, but no trace of the M3. The delivery rep. just sent me home; said I had to do something with the settings while on a computer. So, the MX has my wife as main owner but with both our emails and phones registered. The M3 is in my name, with wife's email and phone also registered. I tried to make account email and password the same for the two cars, but that attempted change didn't stick. When I log on the app in my name and an M3 shows up, the message is "Mobile access disabled". Well, I've never seen it enabled. Perhaps Tesla forgot an activation? I wish I could get a Tesla rep. on the line right away, but it ain't that easy. What is the fix? Thanks for helping.
In the menu under service hit enable mobile access

Sammyfan711, thanks for tip, but I don't see a tab or menu choice named Service neither on Tesla's website, my account, or in the Tesla app. I'm slow. Please give me one more clue.

It should be in your car. From the manual:

Note: To allow the mobile app to
communicate with Model 3, the phone must
be connected to the internet and mobile
access must be enabled (touch Controls >
Safety & Security > Allow Mobile Access on
the touchscreen).

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Be very careful with this solution. You must start the car within 15 seconds of touching the B pillar sensor with your wallet or else you have to take your wallet back out of your pocket while sitting in the car and lay it in the console where I would forget to pick it up when done driving and it could wind up on the floor under foot when making a turn. I do not like this solution because it takes me more than 15 seconds to start the car due to stiffness in aging joints while getting in, feet too large to get quickly through the door opening, extra time to put on the seat belt, adjust rear view mirror, and remember why I got into the car in the first place! o_O I don't think this solution is a reasonable workaround for your Dad, it wouldn't work for me.

Hi, @T34ME, @MP3Mike, @cwerdna, @run-the-joules,

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I think a lanyard might turn out to be a useful option for my father, with the caveats about safely punching a hole in the keycard and/or using a plastic holder.

That said, my Dad and Mom are up and running with the Model 3 using the keycards. Mom's iPhone will eventually get hooked up so she can operate the car without the keycard, but that day waits until Tesla finishes moving the car from my account to theirs.

Dad continues to rely on his flip phone and has vowed to never, ever be driven to a smartphone. We'll see how long that lasts once Mom's iPhone is operating the car... although based on this thread, the bugs involved may make it seem like more work than it's worth.

At this point, my Dad's wallet is the slimmest it has ever been and the keycard is working through the wallet to the B pillar. Well... it looks as if only ONE side of the wallet works, the one where the keycard is nearest the pillar. If you flip the wallet over, it seems as if the keycard is muffled by the extra layers of leather and credit cards.

And, yes, it's a pain in the ass when my father makes it into the car, fumbles around adjusting the seat and getting ready to drive, and then finds that the car has forgotten his keycard and he needs to tap the keycard against the center console. Which necessitates shifting around in the seat, even unbuckling, grabbing the wallet out of his rear pants pocket, buckling back in, and then tapping the wallet against the center console. I understand that the keycard is a backup method but basically I think Tesla blew it by assuming that everyone would have a smartphone. And that they'd want to run the Tesla app and deal with all the problems smartphone/Tesla app people are currently reporting. And then, of course, there are those 15 people who still have Windows phones...

Watching my parents engage with Model 3 has made me realize that there's a lot there for people to deal with. I'm happy to report that although my parents are both still pretty scared by the car, and put off by some of the gratuitous changes (can't adjust the windshield wiper speed by twisting the stalk and instead you dig around on the screen, swiping until you find the wiper menu? someone at Tesla is *proud* of this?!), they have gotten into the spirit of the thing and seem eager to keep on with it.

Thank you, all, for the suggestions and help.

Alan

P.S. My son has been teaching my father how to drive a Tesla. Really!
IMG_0871.jpg

There's definitely some software tweaking needed for walk up unlock/walk away lock. I've heard people complaining about it locking and unlocking walking around the car and I figured it was sort of like the S, which can do that sometimes if you go closer and further away from the car with the key fob in your pocket. But no, I was standing perfectly still talking to somebody about 5 feet from my car today and it just kept locking and unlocking over and over again. It seems like something easily fixed in software, though.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will and cwerdna
After using the frunk a few times, I would not recommend using it unless absolutely necessary. It is much harder to shut than current Model S, which uses some kind of assisted motorized lock. I never felt the need to be careful with the Model S where as the Model 3 you have to be careful not to apply too much pressure or possibly make dents on the hood. It would sometimes take me several tries before shutting the frunk.

You can't just slowly push down until it latches?

No. At least that hasn't been the case for me. If someone has a better, safer technique in closing the frunk, I'd like to see or hear about it.

You definitely need to push harder to close the frunk on the 3. On the other hand the lid isn’t bendy and fragile like the one on the S, so I don’t really agree with your conclusion. I use it all the time, you just need to give it a stiffer push.

Reactions: JenniferQ
Another data point for Phone as a Key Issues. Got the 3 yesterday, and all was enabled at the Delivery Center. Worked great. Then this morning it said the Model 3 was no longer listed on my Account, just my MX. And App only shows the MX. Seems to be a multiple car issue with the app/account. Being a Sunday, can't really call anyone until tomorrow. Fortunately, the key card works fine.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I imagine that at least there will be a lot of Google and Apple engineers owning these cars that will be motivated to figure out any problems, and communicate them to Tesla if they are Tesla bugs.
But will lesser minded bosses nix their efforts? I hope they fix these things; petty corporate rivalry making daily life for citizens impossible is always bad for society. If big corps didn't control our lives so much, this wouldn't be so bad.

18 days in and my wife's phone still will not work as a key. Both using iPhones. Mine (7+) works a key, hers (X) does not. Multiple calls to Tesla and many deletes and re-installs of app. Tried an older iPhone 6; no good.
Tesla has turned it over to diagnostics who will remotely pull records from my M3 and see if a FW patch is in order. They are supposed to get back to me by tomorrow but I can already sense they are at work... now my iPhone no longer works as a key.

Anyone notice that if you have Apple Pay enabled on your iPhone and
it is un-keyed to your M3, app on in background and
you hold it up to the B-pillar, it attempts to "pay" your car. Same with the cupholder.
So, I guess the BLE stuff is working?

The same thing happens if you hold your iPhone up to NFC card readers for building doors (ie my work has them on our badges to get in and out of our offices), the phone senses the NFC signal and assumes you're standing at a credit card terminal hoping to pay for a transaction.

We've been getting the same problem. Model 3 and a '15 Model S. I use an IPhone 6, my wife a 5s, her phone has worked with the 3 precisely twice in the last three weeks. (Works every time with my phone!) she now keeps the cardkey inside her phone's Otter case. She still hopes, with an unbridled sense of optimism, that the app will someday work, but if not, she has the card right there to pillarswipe. This is a word I'm giving serous consideration to copyrighting BTW, as I'm sure it'll be in regular usage by...oh at a wild guess, I'd say around five-hundred-thousand odd people, in the next year or so.

• Funny
Reactions: JenniferQ