Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up new MS, rear-ended the next day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is going to be a venting session. I need consoling and uplifting words.

Picked up my new car yesterday at Buena Park. So beautiful. No issues, fitment is perfect, drive is perfect. Amazing. I feel happier than when my child was born.

Drove around yesterday, visited friends, then went home. This morning, I went to get a haircut. Sitting at red light about to make a left turn.

BOOM

Rear ended by a douchebag a-hole idiot cockroach piece of crap in his Escalade.

It's been less than 24 hours. I'm at a level of pissed I've honestly not experienced before. I'm livid, don't know what to do for the rest of the day other than being pissed, and my neck hurts.

=(

Attachments

• IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_3129.JPG
    IMG_3129.JPG
    464.9 KB · Views: 361
So, what can I say to you that will make it better? It totally sucks. It's like your kid's first breakup.

Take a deep breath. Cars can be fixed. People can't. I know it's difficult, but try to keep this in mind. Perspective. You're alive. Worst case you buy a new car.

It can be fixed. The other's guy insurance will pay for it. Fight for diminished value. It should be an easy case since your car was brand new.

Hang in there.

A

Man that sucks - sounds like Mr. Escalade might be buying you a 90D in the near future. Get that neck checked out - and be glad you walked away from the accident. Keep it in context - you or a family member could have been injured / killed.

Its just a car - a damn fine one - and I would be pissed as well, but I would get over it - eventually. It could have been a lot worse...

Don't forget that "fixing it" isn't enough. The fact that it happened will negatively affect the resale value of it and you should be compensated for that as well NOW. Even if it's redone perfectly, the Carfax report will always have the accident in the record. Only bright side besides no one being hurt is that you might have just received another $10K off the price of the car...

Reactions: davidc18
If the Escalade had hit you two days ago in your old vehicle the result may have been far more tragic than bent metal and a sore neck. As others have said, there's a good chance the other driver's insurance will compensate you for these things but you can't replace a life or the ability to walk or mental faculties, etc, etc.

If you were just stopped at a light, I wonder what the Escalade driver was doing. If he was texting or yammering on his phone or distracted in some other way maybe more serious charges will be made and maybe he'll lose his license at least for a while. I may be petty but that would make me feel a little better.

Good luck with everything.

Time for some yoga deep breathing...

I'm so sorry, I'd be inconsolable, too. But it's a thing, and things can and will be fixed or replaced, lives can't. Sorry I have no magic words to make you feel better, or I would type them.

So sorry to hear this. I was in a car accident recently as well. Someone ran a red light and totaled my Model S. My wife and I walked away basically unscathed. Your Tesla can be replaced , people can't. You can at least take solace in that.

Hope you get back into your Tesla asap!

Reactions: Sosius and davidc18
Hang in there. This past summer, a woman pulled out of her parking spot next to mine in a valet parking spot at the front entrance of Terranea in Palos Verdes while I was visiting SoCal. My car was at a Torrance Tesla Authorized body shop for more than 5 weeks. Hang in there it will get fixed. The process seems slow and annoying and it is. At least no one was seriously hurt... Hope you get it back soon!

(I wish I knew how to put pictures in this post...)

Assuming the Escalade is insured.
Assuming it is adequately insured.
Assuming the carrier is a reputable one.
Damaged and repaired is not the same as it was.
With one day led any r ePub able insurance company will replace the vehicle, not repair it. A quick consultation with ones own insurer can help, if needed an attorney, but replacement, nit repair is the only plausible course in this situation.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the insights and comments. I've been in my share of accidents and definitely thankful for safety. I'm ok, and I'm alive, I'm feeling much more calm than a few hours ago.

I took a nap and boy is my neck stiff. It was such a surprising impact that my body was kinda thrown all over the place.

I'm going to talk to both insurance companies tomorrow as well as my attorney. Yea I definitely don't want this car fixed. I want a new one.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the insights and comments. I've been in my share of accidents and definitely thankful for safety. I'm ok, and I'm alive, I'm feeling much more calm than a few hours ago.

I took a nap and boy is my neck stiff. It was such a surprising impact that my body was kinda thrown all over the place.

I'm going to talk to both insurance companies tomorrow as well as my attorney. Yea I definitely don't want this car fixed. I want a new one.

You need to seek medical attention. First, to make sure you're ok. Second, for documentation for your insurance claim and possible lawsuit. Do it today. Now.

Reactions: S'toon and CSFTN
First of all, I’m so sorry to read about the car. However, I’m glad that you/others are not seriously hurt.

My experience from a similar case wasn’t great. My i3 was rear-ended by a large SUV (Jeep) driven by an underinsured driver. They totaled the other car in a week or so, but they took about five months to “fix” the i3 and they paid out close to 70% of the value of the car to fix it — very close to the max value for totaling a car. BMW Financial Services wanted the car totaled, but the insurance companies fought to get it fixed. I’ve read that Tesla bodyshops in some locations may take a long time to estimate/fix as well.

From my experiences so far, it’s not hard to see that Tesla is a far better company than BMW when it comes to taking care of their car owners. So, let’s hope you will be riding in a new Tesla very soon.

Reactions: ApauloThirteen