Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up new MS, rear-ended the next day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a word of advice, do not give any updates on your medical condition in a public forum. Should this go trial in a PI case the other guy's lawyers will find your posts and use them against you in ways you can't possibly fathom.

A replacement vehicle is the only possible option in this scenario. I would accept nothing less.

This applies to all public internet sites. Nothing on Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In, MySpace, 4Chan, Reddit....

Reactions: sorka
Having insurance is not a requirement everywhere. While I agree with the bolded section, hoping someone went to jail for something that is legal in some places is a bit too much for my tastes. Now, I personally wish it was required everywhere!

Cyclone, you are correct.
Two states (New Hampshire and Virginia) do not specifically mandate that one MUST have motor vehicle insurance.

But the caveat is:
That the vehicle owners must satisfy a personal responsibility requirement in New Hampshire.
In Virginia vehicle owners may pay an uninsured motorist fee.

Net effect, everyone should pay and be paying (insurance or some sort of fees) for the privilege to drive responsibly to protect the property rights of others.
In some states the operators licenses are suspended for six months for driving without motor vehicle insurance.
...along with hefty fines.

Two states (New Hampshire and Virginia) do not specifically mandate that one MUST have motor vehicle insurance.
Arizona too I believe.

And that's just for local residents. When I lived in Florida, Georgia did not require out of state visitors to have insurance. So someone with Florida tags was legal to drive in Georgia without any insurance. I don't know if that is still true anymore though.

Thanks guys for checking up and the comments. Car hasn't even started repairs yet. Sent it to a Tesla certified body shop on a flat bed on Wednesday, and insurance companies went to do their assessments. Body shop took the car apart today and writing the estimate. Man it's been excruciating slow.

I'll keep you guys updated.

So glad the other party had insurance and is accepting full responsibility.
Given the fact that anyone in CA who is in the country illegally can get a CA drivers license LEGALLYI never assume that everyone on the road around me has insurance upto even the legal minimums. One has to max out that uninsured motorist coverage here

• Disagree
Reactions: P100DHG.
1. Hope that you are OK.
2. I would definitely push for a replacement
3. When we renewed our insurance last year with USAA, I opted for the "one year newer replacement" clause in the policy. It was actually very inexpensive (if I remember correctly, is was less than $10 for the policy period).

Net effect, everyone should pay and be paying (insurance or some sort of fees) for the privilege to drive responsibly to protect the property rights of others.
Why?

If I have the ability to cover the cost of an accident, why do I have to pay for insurance? Because the insurance companies have lobbies which make states mandate it? That's a silly reason.

Insurance should be optional, with the caveat, that you must have the money to pay for an accident with limits of $X.

In 10+ years of having insurance, I spend probably $10k on insurance, and had insurance pay out $891 for an accident where my wife was at fault. Yep, net win for the insurance company. O yeah, I guess I have "piece of mind" :rolleyes:

/soapbox

guess what, fellas... SHE'S BACK. It's been over 6 months since making this thread. 6 long months since the accident.

I just want to share my experience... I hope none of you have to go through something like this or any accident for that matter!

(Due to the ongoing nature of the case, I won't be sharing too many specifics just yet. I'll write up the whole experience eventually, but just wanted to give you some updates.)

Just to recap:

I ordered my Model S in Aug 2016. I took delivery on September 17, 2016 at 5pm. Great pick-up experience, couldn't be happier. What a wonderful drive back home! 80 miles on the car as I plug her in for the first time.

The next morning, Sep 18, at 11am, I was fully stopped at a red light when I was rear-ended by an SUV. The back of the car had damage to the bumper, quarter panels, and trunk (which didn't latch anymore). I had it for less than 19 hrs. Drove it for less than 2.

Called a few Tesla certified body shops around me. Closest one was about an hour away, but they had so many cars on their lot in the queue that they couldn't even let me bring the car in. The second one I called was more accomodating and very friendly on the phone, so I arranged a tow there. Car went there on 9/22. Took several days for them to get to it and for insurance to do the estimate, and it was pricey. But they didn't total it. No replacement car for me. They got the approved repair estimate and ordered parts in October.

Parts did not arrive until end of December.

Finally the parts arrived, and I thought "whew, ok now we got the parts, shouldn't be too long now!" I was wrong.

The friendly and polite manager kept regular updates, almost weekly, but everything just seemed sooooooo slow. They actually basically stripped the whole car down to check the frame and for the duration of the repairs.

I got the car back a little more than a week ago. There a few repair related issues that I can't go into right now. But I'm glad she's finally home. (Is it weird that I kind of miss the Lincoln rental I had for 6 months? Must be Stockholm Syndrome.)

I'll update more later once legal issues are resolved.

Be safe out there.

A few pics of the repair process

uCkJxyW.jpg

WQ4q5jz.jpg

5FeRWkL.jpg

vopH4FN.jpg

zWYiR2p.jpg

HMm0QKR.jpg

jScKDdO.jpg

4VFoUBp.jpg

6vd860b.jpg

DQonW9J.jpg

Thanks for sharing, glad you have your vehicle back. I totally empathize. One week to the day after I got my last car, we were t-boned in an intersection by a speeding 20-something who ran a stop sign to get the job done (I was traversing the intersection slowly and cautiously due to limited visibility, consequent to a large hedge). The other driver was driving a rental car, as he had been in a similar accident just a few days earlier, and he had a huge temper tantrum at the accident site. But this was 31 years ago, in a Volvo station wagon, with my entire family (including in-laws) aboard. Thankfully, no one was hurt, but the entire front-end was pancaked. I thought it would be a write-off, but as it was new it was taken to a high-end body shop, and returned to us several weeks later. Not the epic wait you had to experience. The week after taking delivery of my new S90D I was nervous, even though I'm not the superstitious type. ;)

Hope you are feeling healthy; be glad no one was seriously hurt, and enjoy your restored vehicle. If the job was done well, you won't know it from a new car. We got 31 years of reliable service from our repaired vehicle, and it is still on the road with its new owner.

Reactions: MagT and tchockie
Glad you have your "new" Telsa back. I was feeling your pain reading this thread. We picked our new MS up a few weeks ago and getting hit in it is something you can't help but think about. Thanks for the photos. It's informative to see the damage and then see what is involved in the repairs. Of course it's a view you never want to see yourself with your car. Hope you're feeling better now and glad you came back to update the thread.

Do hope you brought up diminished value when settling. The car I'm driving now was rear ended by someone who was stopped while we were all waiting for traffic to clear to make a right turn out of a shopping center. We had all been sitting that way for a few minutes too! so imagine how angry I felt over that situation. Slight slope and the chick who hit me with her Honda Pilot nearly totaled my car which was a 2001 Avalon which had never had body damage! Didn't look bad, bumper was dented, trunk didn't pop but the trunk and car frame were affected as it turned out. I was stunned when the adjuster and shop said they were close to declaring it totaled. Driver said she dropped her water bottle and reached down to retrieve it and thought traffic had started moving so stepped on the gas. What can you say. Turns out we both had the same insurance company and my agent didn't mention anything about asking for diminished value so never got anything for that. Found out when we went to trade my husband's car in when buying the MS that Carmax won't even touch cars that have had repairs like mine (trunk had to be cut and welded), not even for selling at auction. I'm still driving the Avalon btw which is like a tank, is in great condition and has been very reliable. Point of mentioning all this is that one should ask for diminished value and not underestimate repair costs in what looks to be even a minor accident.

Hope you have many years of pleasure driving your car now that you have it back. BTW did your car get pushed into someone in front of you? Was surprised getting rear ended that they were doing front end work.

Last edited:
Reactions: tchockie
guess what, fellas... SHE'S BACK. It's been over 6 months since making this thread. 6 long months since the accident.

I just want to share my experience... I hope none of you have to go through something like this or any accident for that matter!

(Due to the ongoing nature of the case, I won't be sharing too many specifics just yet. I'll write up the whole experience eventually, but just wanted to give you some updates.)

Just to recap:

I ordered my Model S in Aug 2016. I took delivery on September 17, 2016 at 5pm. Great pick-up experience, couldn't be happier. What a wonderful drive back home! 80 miles on the car as I plug her in for the first time.

The next morning, Sep 18, at 11am, I was fully stopped at a red light when I was rear-ended by an SUV. The back of the car had damage to the bumper, quarter panels, and trunk (which didn't latch anymore). I had it for less than 19 hrs. Drove it for less than 2.

Called a few Tesla certified body shops around me. Closest one was about an hour away, but they had so many cars on their lot in the queue that they couldn't even let me bring the car in. The second one I called was more accomodating and very friendly on the phone, so I arranged a tow there. Car went there on 9/22. Took several days for them to get to it and for insurance to do the estimate, and it was pricey. But they didn't total it. No replacement car for me. They got the approved repair estimate and ordered parts in October.

Parts did not arrive until end of December.

Finally the parts arrived, and I thought "whew, ok now we got the parts, shouldn't be too long now!" I was wrong.

The friendly and polite manager kept regular updates, almost weekly, but everything just seemed sooooooo slow. They actually basically stripped the whole car down to check the frame and for the duration of the repairs.

I got the car back a little more than a week ago. There a few repair related issues that I can't go into right now. But I'm glad she's finally home. (Is it weird that I kind of miss the Lincoln rental I had for 6 months? Must be Stockholm Syndrome.)

I'll update more later once legal issues are resolved.

Be safe out there.
Good to see you back with your car. She is a beauty and will help you forget all these painful 6months. Do share other details (like repair cost, other remedies for value lost etc.).

Reactions: tchockie
Thanks for the comments and questions. Some of the answers to the questions are still pending in this case, so will answer them all later on the best I can once the case is settled.

But no, I was in the front so I didn't hit anyone in front of me. That's why it was weird everything was off. Even the windshield was off!

Oh and just fyi, this is a leased car (business lease)

Reactions: SMAlset