Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics/Info: Inside the battery pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious, what else was in the bottom of the housing such as insulation and/or ballistic material? It seems like the pack cools down pretty quick in the winter when exposed to cold weather.

There are some sheets of fireproofing material under and on top of each module. No insulation really. From the bottom of the pack up: 1/4" Aluminum, thin fire proofing sheet, plastic module cover, cell module. So, I think it will slip to whatever the external temp is pretty quickly.

Put your buddy in touch with Tony. Tony will get his keepsake and your buddy will make more money.

Yeah, tried that as soon as I read the post, but he got rid of it already... :-\

I could get the info for wherever he took it in case its in one piece still if you want, Tony...

--

Note: I was able to decode the tiny little data matrix on the one cell I snapped a shot of: 5221DACP0143000B

I assume its a serial number for the individual cell?

matrix-recreated.png

- - - Updated - - -

Tony:

This is the place that it was taken at today: http://www.matteo-iron.com/

He said they probably wont move it until Monday, so, might be worth contacting them if you really want it.

So about 20% of the battery weight is housing, only? Pretty heavy...! I'm sure with some changes to Model III's body (perhaps making the battery more integral to the crash structure than on Model S) could reduce this further.

I think the pack come close to doubling the torsional rigidity of the Model S chassis when installed in the vehicle

So it is not dead weight like most other EV packs. Also remember it has been designed for robotic swapping and to serve as a ballistic shield.

I did something similar to a Nissan LEaf battery.
It is now running as an storage solution to my on-grid system.

The BMS i use is this one.
REC d.o.o.

IT has CAN support to the SMA Sunny Island 6.0H.

I have an on/off-grid system in Pagosa with SMA Sunny Islands paired with SMA Sunny Boys and conventional Lead Acid energy storage. The Sunny Island product is a well-engineered, reliable product, and works well with the Sunny Boy Solar Inverters to make an "island" off grid system, or a grid-tied system that can "island" itself and continue running when the grid goes away.

If all you want is backup power, a propane generator with an underground propane tank is much cheaper, even if you are doing grid-tied solar.

Interesting that the TI battery monitoring chip stores the threshold voltages in OTP (one-time programmable) eprom, so there is a default setting for when the balance circuit is turned on. The FETs are driven either ON or OFF, there is no adustable gate drive to cause any sort of variable impedance balancing scheme.

Just testing a bit while I wait around for my inverter...

The module side of the module BMS board's isolation IC's power input pin reads 5V, so that portion of the board is active in some fashion still running off of thr module itself.

Since I'm not sure what, if anything, this is doing in my configuration I'm going to finish disconnecting the remaining boards from my modules...

It looks like each module board talks to his neighbor passing along voltage data and fault status thru a serial bus back to the main BMS board. They are powered from the modules so will draw a small bit. Guess you probably don't have time to mess around with trying to read the serial data...

Interesting that the TI battery monitoring chip stores the threshold voltages in OTP (one-time programmable) eprom, so there is a default setting for when the balance circuit is turned on. The FETs are driven either ON or OFF, there is no adustable gate drive to cause any sort of variable impedance balancing scheme.

From the datasheet : The bq76PL536A has six dedicated outputs (CB1…CB6) that can be used to control external N-FETs as part of
a cell balancing system. The implementation of appropriate algorithms is controlled by the system host. The
CB_CTRL[CBAL1–6] bits control the state of each of the outputs. The outputs are copied from the bit state of the
CB_CTRL register, i.e., a 1 in this register activates the external balance FET by placing a high on the
associated pin.

Thus the balancing algorithm is done by the BMS master board (the host the datasheet talks about). The host sends the state it wants for these output through the SPI bus.
Because of the very low balancing current (~100mA with the four 158r in parallel), maybe they implemented a better balancing algorithm than just activate the balancing when the cell reach its maximum voltage.

nlc,
I suspect there is a micro on each module's dedicated BMS board that handles the TI chip. It should be possible for the micro to PWM the outputs but that seems like an awful lot of work for very little gain.

WRT all the BMS boards, there has to be some type of level independent serial bus such that modules referenced at different voltages can all hang out and talk to the main board (422???). The distances and different voltage references rule out a lot of busses.