Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics/Info: Inside the Tesla 100 kWh Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am amazed that the base price difference from my '15 85D to my newly ordered 100D is only $7,500. And from WKO57's posts there is actually a 25-27% battery difference Sweet deal

'17 also has HW2 - hardware and center console and rear cup holders and LED headlights and....

I honestly don't get all the hype about free Super Charging. I have 50k miles in my June 2015 S85D and have only used SC 5 times total. Only 3 for a trip the other 2 were just convenienc of where I was at. Free SC doesn't make any difference to me at all. I feel like it's fair to charge something for Superchargering so that the network can sustain itself and grow. Hearing free so often sounds such an entitlement shout. It makes me cringe

Any chance a future 100D battery pack will use the new battery format, or still the 18650s?
Of course. The 18650's cost most per kWh to produce. Once the contract runs out, Tesla will ditch that format for all but repairs (if that).
Along with the new cell format, they may well implement a faster charging chemistry. Competing (low range) cars already feature 2-3x higher charging C rates. So affordable tech exists to make 300kW charging of a 100kWh car happen. Half an hour from empty to 100% full? 10 or 15 minutes for more range than your bladder can handle.

Low range cars are not "competing" because they are low range. Not needing to charge beats fast charging every time.
Except, many BEV proponents claim they don't NEED long range, and hardly ever even use the Superchargers. They are just in it for the greenliness and low marginal cost of travel. Either way, those are CHEAP cars with a higher charge rate. With scaled up ~90-100kWh packs, they could handle over twice what a Tesla takes at the SUC. And still probably cost only $50K or so. Soon, Bolt and Model 3 will not be the only players in the affordable 200+ milers club. And when CCS chargers strt popping up, Superchargers will be considered "first generation" or "slow" chargers :)

Except, many BEV proponents claim they don't NEED long range, and hardly ever even use the Superchargers.

Then faster charging doesn't matter.

With scaled up ~90-100kWh packs, they could handle over twice what a Tesla takes at the SUC.

As I've explained previously you can't build a 90-100kWh pack with high C rate chemistry because of the poor energy density. You're talking about building an impossible vehicle with existing technology. It's not going to happen for a few years. They can install all the 300kW CCS chargers they want, no vehicle will be able to use them to full capacity.

I truly hope, but seriously doubt, that the 300 kW CCS network will be anywhere close to the density of the Tesla SC network.

My biggest fear is that Tesla will allow non-Teslas to use the SCs (revenue source), and i will have to wait for some slow-charging low-budget EVr to get out of my way.

Fortunately I like most Tesla owners charge at home, and only use the SC for long-distance, while these other EVs may need to charge just to get home from work.

Except, many BEV proponents claim they don't NEED long range, and hardly ever even use the Superchargers. They are just in it for the greenliness and low marginal cost of travel. Either way, those are CHEAP cars with a higher charge rate. With scaled up ~90-100kWh packs, they could handle over twice what a Tesla takes at the SUC. And still probably cost only $50K or so. Soon, Bolt and Model 3 will not be the only players in the affordable 200+ milers club. And when CCS chargers strt popping up, Superchargers will be considered "first generation" or "slow" chargers :)

I am amazed that the base price difference from my '15 85D to my newly ordered 100D is only $7,500. And from WKO57's posts there is actually a 25-27% battery difference Sweet deal

'17 also has HW2 - hardware and center console and rear cup holders and LED headlights and....
Don't forget about the brushed chrome around the rear seatbelt trim panels...

I honestly don't get all the hype about free Super Charging. I have 50k miles in my June 2015 S85D and have only used SC 5 times total. Only 3 for a trip the other 2 were just convenienc of where I was at. Free SC doesn't make any difference to me at all. I feel like it's fair to charge something for Superchargering so that the network can sustain itself and grow. Hearing free so often sounds such an entitlement shout. It makes me cringe

Just the idea that we don't have to budget money for a road trip if we wanna go on one is the biggest reason we love having free supercharging. This coming from someone who drives 40,000 miles per year. 300,000 miles and we start making money on this car is what we calculated when we bought it. We are a third of the way there :). By the way we aren't entitled and don't feel that way. Supercharging was a perk for early adopters. Without free supercharging we most likely wouldn't have gotten our Classic S. Free supercharging was the only way the math would work. We only use the superchargers on road trips. Very rarely do we use our local supercharger.

Reactions: landis